Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

This game doesn't help itself.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Unilad

When playing Uncharted 3, I always find that it is actually not that good of a game.

Yes, the graphics and awesome, yes the set pieces are spectacular, but then... I suddenly realise that its just not that much fun. I find myself constantly just playing to get to the next set piece or vista, and not enjoying the actual 'game' part in between.

Basically.....I don't want to keep unloading magazines and magazines of rounds into a ridiculous looking armoured bloke, only to end up beating him to death with my fists (whilst having to dodge the stupid laser snipers). I don't want to have to go through the same fucking button presses when fighting the huge blokes, and I'm sick of climbing again and again with these fucking hideous yellow bars sticking out.

Maybe this is just me, but I'd rather not play anything. Basically Uncharted 3 is a great game... when its not a game, but rather when I get to sit back and watch it unfold.

(as opposed to MGS4, where I loved the videos but also was dieing to get back into the game part again!

Anyone else think this?

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Yeah, I found the combat to be entirely tedious. There's simply too much gun-play in Uncharted 3.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Unilad

Basically Uncharted 3 reminds me of a House episode... in that you know...

1. the lead character is f****** arrogant b******. (Uncharted 3 shares this trait also, unfortunately the object of the Uncharted 3 is to keep Nathan alive)

2. Theres gonna be a guy/gal who is sick.

3. House will somehow come up with the cure in the last 5 minutes...

4. leaving 5 more minutes for the sentimental (meaningful) moment.

5. Olivia Wilde will look hot.

However.....the benefit is that in House this is spread over the course of 40 mins,has Olivia Wilde and at least it makes me laugh in some parts. (whether that is intentional or not is preside the point, I like to laugh...)

Uncharted has the same monotony (in its own very 'special', albeit very good looking way)

.......although within the space of 10 mins, over and over again till the game finishes. (and it doesn't make me laugh)

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alexandruxx

Green name, 8 posts...

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By jkuc316

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...

Blue name, 42 posts and an icon. You are just a bit more credible than the guy who posted this thread.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the gameplay? The guns and the4 shooting in itself felt better than Uncharted 2, and the melee combat was great IMO. It was one of my favorite parts of the game.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe

@jkuc316 said:

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...

Blue name, 42 posts and an icon. You are just a bit more credible than the guy who posted this thread.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the gameplay? The guns and the4 shooting in itself felt better than Uncharted 2, and the melee combat was great IMO. It was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Nope, I've always been a fan of Uncharted's gameplay. I thought 3 had the best yet.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Unilad:  We have no respect for those who don't swear. Say fuck and bitch, it's cool. 

Very good first thread, welcome to the fucking site!
    Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Unilad

@AhmadMetallic Cheers, I just didn't want to get banned or whatever.

If it really matters, I used to have an account, posted a lot, but then lost the password etc, so just started a new one. So take your blue name @Alexandruxx and shove it. I'll take my green name and my 8 posts and speak my mind freely thank you.

I totally respect anyone who enjoys this game (it is a well made game). I tend to be a bit cynical... its just this game got seriously high reviews (as does House coincidentally) and I just don't agree with them necessarily.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By stinky

its interesting to wait a few days and listen to Giantbomb. when a game comes out they may gush over it, by next podcast their temperament equals out a bit and you hear more downsides.

this happened to uncharted 3, and it sounds like what you describe, beautiful graphics but monotonous gameplay.

played 2 and i liked it, really well done, but skipping 3 and leaving the series on a high note.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DeF

@benjaebe said:

@jkuc316 said:

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...

Nope, I've always been a fan of Uncharted's gameplay. I thought 3 had the best yet.

You guys are definitely in the minority when it comes to the gunplay in U3. The weird stuff they did to the aiming destroys all the fun for me ... and I loved everything including the shooting in Uncharted 2!

They manage to pull off fantastic stuff in Uncharted 3 (ship levels, the desert, better end-game scenario) but to me, Uncharted 2 is still the better overall package (minus the multiplayer, which is better in U3). Or maybe I'm just a sucker for snow levels :D

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Djratchet

Congrats, you aren't the only one who thinks this. Been repeated by countless others.

I beat the game on Hard day one, I'm hoping the fan-aided patch smooths some of the gunplay out before i start crushing.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ghostiet
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Unilad:  We have no respect for those who don't swear. Say fuck and bitch, it's cool.  
    Oh you motherfucking dickass shitknocker.
    Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Unilad

@Ghostiet said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Unilad: We have no respect for those who don't swear. Say fuck and bitch, it's cool.

That is my tribe name.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bicycleham

@Ghostiet said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Unilad: We have no respect for those who don't swear. Say fuck and bitch, it's cool.

Cunt

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@DeF said:

@benjaebe said:

@jkuc316 said:

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...

You guys are definitely in the minority when it comes to the gunplay in U3. The weird stuff they did to the aiming destroys all the fun for me ... and I loved everything including the shooting in Uncharted 2!

They manage to pull off fantastic stuff in Uncharted 3 (ship levels, the desert, better end-game scenario) but to me, Uncharted 2 is still the better overall package (minus the multiplayer, which is better in U3). Or maybe I'm just a sucker for snow levels :D

My sentiments exactly, as has been well documented across the forum at this point :P. And I just now watched through GT's Uncharted 2 entry into their ''Level'' feature, celebrating the Train segment. Brought back so many memories of all the fun times I had with that game <3 I would actually play the campaign over and over because of how much I enjoyed it; for Uncharted 3, it was for the trophies.

I just noticed how surprisingly different the art direction is between the two games. Uncharted 2 definitely has a much more grimier and gritty style to it over Uncharted 3, which I also personally prefer.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crash_Happy

@Unilad: Yeah pretty much. It's a shame because 2 felt like it was really heading the right way. I still enjoyed it but yeah, doesn't help itself.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bawlsz

I found UC3 game-play really frustrating, I didn't really enjoy that much compared to UC2, I found it irritating that you get shotgun armoured dudes coming straight at you, snipers, guys with rocket launchers and other enemies throwing grenades a bit too often, the shoot-outs felt like they're just trying to overwhelm the player with bad guys, it wasen't really fun for me, and it was kinda allot more repetitive, compared to UC2 which I believe got everything right in terms of single player.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ventilaator
    @Alexandruxx said:
    Green name, 8 posts...
    Well I have a blue name and numerous posts and I will still say that Uncharted 2 (and probably 3, haven't played that) is in reality a pretty shitty game. It all looks awesome, but the interactive part is often pretty pointless. There were too many sequences in 2 that are basically cutscenes but you are totally holding up on the analog stick to make this movie play SO OH FUCK THIS IS CINEMATIC

It's a movie is what it is. Not a game. Most of the gunfights in 2 felt like Naughty Dog sat down and said "Hey guys this needs to be a game at some point", which made all of the gunfights seem like filler. 

All of them. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@Ventilaator said:

@Alexandruxx said:
    Green name, 8 posts...
    Well I have a blue name and numerous posts and I will still say that Uncharted 2 (and probably 3, haven't played that) is in reality a pretty shitty game. It all looks awesome, but the interactive part is often pretty pointless. There were too many sequences in 2 that are basically cutscenes but you are totally holding up on the analog stick to make this movie play SO OH FUCK THIS IS CINEMATIC It's a movie is what it is. Not a game. Most of the gunfights in 2 felt like Naughty Dog sat down and said "Hey guys this needs to be a game at some point", which made all of the gunfights seem like filler. All of them.

lol no

Uncharted 2 at least had stellar shooting, it wasn't just ''filler'' for the set-pieces. As for those ''moving up on analog stick cinematic stuff''... did you perhaps play the train level, or the part where you're fighting within a building that is falling apart? Calling the interactive part pointless is also just a joke. Now sure, you're free to dislike the gameplay for Uncharted 2, but calling it pointless or filler is fucking ludicrous.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ventilaator
    @Abyssfull said:

@Ventilaator said:

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...
    Well I have a blue name and numerous posts and I will still say that Uncharted 2 (and probably 3, haven't played that) is in reality a pretty shitty game. It all looks awesome, but the interactive part is often pretty pointless. There were too many sequences in 2 that are basically cutscenes but you are totally holding up on the analog stick to make this movie play SO OH FUCK THIS IS CINEMATIC It's a movie is what it is. Not a game. Most of the gunfights in 2 felt like Naughty Dog sat down and said "Hey guys this needs to be a game at some point", which made all of the gunfights seem like filler. All of them.

lol no

Uncharted 2 at least had stellar shooting, it wasn't just ''filler'' for the set-pieces. As for those ''moving up on analog stick cinematic stuff''... did you perhaps play the train level, or the part where you're fighting within a building that is falling apart? Calling the interactive part pointless is also just a joke. Now sure, you're free to dislike the gameplay for Uncharted 2, but calling it pointless or filler is fucking ludicrous.

I said that all of it looked awesome but the gameplay was nothing special, and you bring up two of the best examples of that as an argument against me. Nice.

The train level LOOKED awesome, but gameplay-wise I was still taking cover and shooting at dudes. The building falling apart LOOKED awesome, but gameplay-wise I was standing inside the building watching it fall apart.    

I have no problems with what the gameplay in Uncharted 2 is, just how it was presented. And it was presented as filler. There are three, maybe four, shooting sequences in the entire game that feel like they have anything to do with anything and are there for story reasons and not game-lengthening reasons.

Hearing that Uncharted 3 is more of 2 makes me happy, because considering how the jump from 1 to 2 went, I was afraid 3 was going to be an actual rail shooter. I'll still play Uncharted 3 because the characters are great and the spectacle is still incredible and should be seen, whoever you are. Just don't expect the game to come anywhere close to any GOTY list of mine.
    Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grillbar

@Unilad said:

When playing Uncharted 3, I always find that it is actually not that good of a game.

Yes, the graphics and awesome, yes the set pieces are spectacular, but then... I suddenly realise that its just not that much fun. I find myself constantly just playing to get to the next set piece or vista, and not enjoying the actual 'game' part in between.

Basically.....I don't want to keep unloading magazines and magazines of rounds into a ridiculous looking armoured bloke, only to end up beating him to death with my fists (whilst having to dodge the stupid laser snipers). I don't want to have to go through the same fucking button presses when fighting the huge blokes, and I'm sick of climbing again and again with these fucking hideous yellow bars sticking out.

Maybe this is just me, but I'd rather not play anything. Basically Uncharted 3 is a great game... when its not a game, but rather when I get to sit back and watch it unfold.

(as opposed to MGS4, where I loved the videos but also was dieing to get back into the game part again!

Anyone else think this?

i dont agree in most cases but i understand what your mean to some degree.

there was only 2 spots where i hated the fighting off dudes. Fighting the big blokes is fun the first 2 times then its pointless. i actually found the shooting more fun on chrushing, since you needed alittle more tactic. finding out who to take out first and so on. but the part where your trying to get on to the ship and the the entire time your on the ship was just a pain.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeanFoster

I enjoyed the experience of playing through Uncharted 3 but in a few years when I'm feeling nostalgic for the series, I'll probably go back to Uncharted 2 and replay it.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Unilad

@Grillbar. The boat part was the worst bit in that game... in fact I can go as far to say that section was perhaps the least fun I've had with a video game all year.

Not only was it monotonous yada yada... the whole time I was thinking this feels like a fucking tacked on filler. They could have taken that bit and instead had it as a downloadable 'episode' ( or whatever they label those bloody ripoffs these days) that explained what happened in between the end of this part and the beginning of that part (like they did in one of the Gears games I can't recall which one) and I would have been none the wiser.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@Ventilaator said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Ventilaator said:

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...

lol no

I said that all of it looked awesome but the gameplay was nothing special, and you bring up two of the best examples of that as an argument against me. Nice. The train level LOOKED awesome, but gameplay-wise I was still taking cover and shooting at dudes. The building falling apart LOOKED awesome, but gameplay-wise I was standing inside the building watching it fall apart. I have no problems with what the gameplay in Uncharted 2 is, just how it was presented. And it was presented as filler. There are three, maybe four, shooting sequences in the entire game that feel like they have anything to do with anything and are there for story reasons and not game-lengthening reasons.

But it's not filler, it's an integral part of the entire game. If you're really just going to disregard it all because it's still just a 3rd person shooter, then by that logic every 3rd person shooter is just filler. Also you're not just standing there watching the building fall apart, you're combating against enemies whilst adapting within the degenerating environment you find yourself in. And the Train? Jesus, what aren't you doing in there? That one particular segment combines everything that makes Uncharted 2 spectacular, with the numerous combating and platforming obstacles and then combining them together. There's the part where you're trying to stave off attack choppers with an RPG, and then the turret sequence, all requiring your own skill of accuracy to hit, requiring your interaction with the game.

Another notable example is of course the part where you're leaping across the trucks, attempting to shoot the guards on top quickly and efficiently before the trucks explode. The parts all combine to make Uncharted 2 as highly regarded as it is. It's pretty looking, it has impressive voice acting with a script to go along it, but it's also a really great 3rd person shooter because of how well the shooting and platforming is integrated into all the bombastic set-pieces.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By Lazyaza

I've felt the same way about all three games. The graphics, animation, the set pieces, the story, the writing etc are all amazing but actually playing them has always been a mix of rampant frustration and tedium for me. U3 especially my god, so many bullet proof shotgun assholes, rooms filled with 1shot snipers with pin point accuracy and split second reflexes and guns that just fuck... I just hate all the guns in Uncharted so much. None of them are satisfying or feel useful, constantly find myself cheering at coming across things like the greande launcher just because I know it will make a shooting segment go faster. In U3 they even made melee annoying by it being such a big focus yet still feeling so tedious and annoying just to execute.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

I really like Uncharteds gameplay, the platforming was done really well as was the shooting.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Manburger  Online

I agree with a lot of points here, except any negativity regarding Uncharted 2: I love that game. 
    But while I think Uncharted 3 is fun, and some parts of it feel unreal, it is also unfortunately just a sequel.
    Even though some things are refined, and there are definitively unique scenarios, they reuse a lot of tricks that don't work as well this time around. 
    One too many run-towards-the-camera segments, for example. And also: the finale of the game is really weird  
    in how it is so similar to the previous game. 
    The relatively quick turn-around for this game hurt it creatively.  I wish they'd taken some more time with it.  
    Maybe tried to make something not quite as staunchly linear.*  And the story did not ring as true as Uncharted 2 either. 
    Though the characters are still rad, and there are some good moments, overall it is not as great as its predecessor.
    I suppose I don't feel like it builds up to anything in a proper fashion, it just sort of arrives at a conclusion.

But I still quite enjoyed it, though! There are some really great (and somewhat open) combat arenas where you can use stealth 
    for quite a while if you're good, which is very satisfying. And the multiplayer is still awesome!
    I guess it's more in retrospect (and after the unsatisfying ending) that I feel a bit negative regarding parts of it.   
    Naughty Dog is definitively a massively talented developer, and I hope they try to do something new with their next game, something not Uncharted. 
    (Except for Unkarted, of course)

* For example, the traversal feels a lot better when it is not just strictly following a linear path. It's more fun to stumble and scamper and roll around a non-linear environment like you do in multiplayer, or in some of the more open areas in singleplayer. Imagine a Uncharted more in the style of Crysis, for example,  with Drake bouncing around in a large, war-torn city.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kashif1

play it on easy, Uncharted one and two were more fun that way so I'm assuming this will be too

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By csl316
    @benjaebe said:

@jkuc316 said:

@Alexandruxx said:

Green name, 8 posts...

I don't know if it's the core gameplay, or the fact that you're shooting people in the middle of crazy set pieces, but the gunplay has felt great since the second game.   

Lots of fun set ups  in this game, too, specifically in the ship graveyard section.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Commisar123

I had some issues with the combat for the game, but overall I thought it was a fantastic experience

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.