Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Announced

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Entertainment Weekly has the scoop on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. The game, due at some point for the PS3 in 2011, will take protagonist Nathan Drake and his pal (and father figure) Victor "Sully" Sullivan to the Rub' al Khali Desert, a veritable "wasteland," in an adventure to find a lost city.  

According to the EW article, the game will draw from T.E. Lawrence's days as an archeologist and Naughty Dog is welcoming the challenges that the introduction of a desert and its unusual scenarios bring.

Iterative sequels require some new gameplay features, of course, and while details are still light, EW does highlight a couple of fresh mechanics. Uncharted 3 will give Drake the ability to take on multiple enemies at once, and will also feature "enhanced backward climbing." Naughty Dog is also preparing to offer fans a beefier online component, both in the multiplayer and cooperative realms.

Rumors have been circulating for a bit that a third Uncharted would be debuted at the VGAs and, for the most part, these rumors have been right on target. We'll indeed get our first look at the title on December 11 via a trailer that will air during the 2010 VGAs. The EW article--which also has a few more precious nuggets of information--has a short teaser trailer embedded underneath its text, so give them a visit if you're interested in catching your first glimpse of the game, or at least a video related to the game. 

UPDATE:  Naughty Dog is now talking about Uncharted 3 on the official PS Blog. The lost city we referred to in the original article is the fabled "Atlantis of the Sands." And though Drake will have to travel to the Arabian Desert to find the place, he'll see many "spectacular new locations" around the world "that will showcase all of the work [Naughty Dog has] taken on to take acclaimed physics, particle and visual effects to a new level." 

Here are those new images. And while we're on the subject of looks, Naughty Dog has confirmed "high resolution" stereoscopic 3D. Neat! 

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Entertainment Weekly has the scoop on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. The game, due at some point for the PS3 in 2011, will take protagonist Nathan Drake and his pal (and father figure) Victor "Sully" Sullivan to the Rub' al Khali Desert, a veritable "wasteland," in an adventure to find a lost city.  

According to the EW article, the game will draw from T.E. Lawrence's days as an archeologist and Naughty Dog is welcoming the challenges that the introduction of a desert and its unusual scenarios bring.

Iterative sequels require some new gameplay features, of course, and while details are still light, EW does highlight a couple of fresh mechanics. Uncharted 3 will give Drake the ability to take on multiple enemies at once, and will also feature "enhanced backward climbing." Naughty Dog is also preparing to offer fans a beefier online component, both in the multiplayer and cooperative realms.

Rumors have been circulating for a bit that a third Uncharted would be debuted at the VGAs and, for the most part, these rumors have been right on target. We'll indeed get our first look at the title on December 11 via a trailer that will air during the 2010 VGAs. The EW article--which also has a few more precious nuggets of information--has a short teaser trailer embedded underneath its text, so give them a visit if you're interested in catching your first glimpse of the game, or at least a video related to the game. 

UPDATE:  Naughty Dog is now talking about Uncharted 3 on the official PS Blog. The lost city we referred to in the original article is the fabled "Atlantis of the Sands." And though Drake will have to travel to the Arabian Desert to find the place, he'll see many "spectacular new locations" around the world "that will showcase all of the work [Naughty Dog has] taken on to take acclaimed physics, particle and visual effects to a new level." 

Here are those new images. And while we're on the subject of looks, Naughty Dog has confirmed "high resolution" stereoscopic 3D. Neat! 

#2 Posted by RavenX302 (258 posts) -

not really interested

#3 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -

must play uncharted 2 still

#4 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -
@RavenX302: then why reply hater?
#5 Posted by Yummylee (21496 posts) -

hummina hummina hummina hummina

#6 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

I'm ok with this.

#7 Posted by cooljammer00 (1633 posts) -

Along with the release of Batman: Arkham City, I fully expect the GOTY podcast to be the same as the one from last year, e.g., Uncharted vs. Batman.

#8 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (833 posts) -

2011 is looking like another stellar year for video games. Can't wait.

#9 Posted by Speaker4TheDead (77 posts) -

Sounds like fun. I have confidence in Naughty Dog.

#10 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

So will the supernatural enemies be sand worms?

#11 Posted by bgradio (5 posts) -

This is why my PS3 exists.

#12 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

OH SHIT

#13 Posted by Garadon (90 posts) -

I was hoping for Atlantis.

#14 Posted by p_p_o_d (543 posts) -

sweet.

this means Unkarted is even closer

#15 Posted by ashton (310 posts) -

Boner!

#16 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

the people that guessed a sand theme were indeed correct, interested in the "beefier multiplayer" wonder what they are adding.

#17 Posted by nihilisticmonkey (90 posts) -
@bradnicholson said:
 "   an adventure to find a lost city with alongside " 
WUT?
#18 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

YES! finally bought me a ps3 back in september, and this series became my favorite right away.  Uncharted is pretty nice series from story t o gameplay

#19 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -
@cooljammer00 said:
"Along with the release of Batman: Arkham City, I fully expect the GOTY podcast to be the same as the one from last year, e.g., Uncharted vs. Batman. "

Then I look forward to next year as both of those games were way better than anything this year
#20 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Shit... this just reminds me that I really need to beat Uncharted 2. I haven't even started it, yet I beat the first one...

#21 Posted by chu52 (238 posts) -
@AmericanNinja to get the quest
#22 Posted by Cleric (286 posts) -
@bgradio said:
" This is why my PS3 exists. "

Exactly. Can't wait for this!
#23 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

I loved Uncharted 1 and 2, but "Drake's Deception" is a fucking TERRIBLE name.

#24 Posted by WrenchNinja (223 posts) -
@RavenX302 said:
" not really interested "
Interested enough to post. The first comment has been wasted by you!
#25 Posted by Shift_andrew (17 posts) -

this news made my week

#26 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Can't wait but I think I would prefer UC3: Drake's INCEPTION. At least the blue guys and zombies would make sense.

#27 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Is it just me or does it seem like 2011 is getting loaded with so many great games, that shit's gonna get PUSHED into 2012? 

Also, needs more Nazi.

#28 Edited by Terranova (586 posts) -
@cooljammer00 said:

" Along with the release of Batman: Arkham City, I fully expect the GOTY podcast to be the same as the one from last year, e.g., Uncharted vs. Batman. "

Indeed another GOTY battle could be on the cards although the bar was set pretty damn high with Uncharted 2 it will be interesting to see if Naughty dog can push more out of it for the third game where as Batman AC has the most to gain, will be a good battle though   
#29 Posted by Yummylee (21496 posts) -
@MacGeorge said:
" I loved Uncharted 1 and 2, but "Drake's Deception" is a fucking TERRIBLE name. "
How so? It definitely fits the treasure plundering tone of the Uncharted series, and sounds connected to the original Drakes Fortune.
#30 Posted by Crump (23 posts) -
I would re-buy my ps3 back just for this...
#31 Posted by luigionlsd (1 posts) -

Hopefully this is indeed on PS3 and not PSP.  Guess we'll have Uncharted 3 and Tomb Raider 9 competing for "exploration adventure" next holiday season... and I'm pretty sure I know which will win.

#32 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

YES, seems like I'll have some use for my PS3 next year :D

#33 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

I played the first Uncharted and liked it, but haven't been able to play a lot of the second one. Maybe it's just "too good" for me to enjoy it. It doesn't have any flaws that make it interesting. I'm gonna try to play it again one o' these days I guess. preferably soon.

#34 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

Alright I'm excited for all the bitching I'm going to hear about the name until the game comes out. WHO CARES ABOUT THE NAME.

#35 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -
@Terranova said:
" @cooljammer00 said:

" Along with the release of Batman: Arkham City, I fully expect the GOTY podcast to be the same as the one from last year, e.g., Uncharted vs. Batman. "

Indeed another GOTY battle could be on the cards although the bar was set pretty damn high with Uncharted 2 it will be interesting to see if Naughty dog can push more out of it for the third game where as Batman AC has the most to gain, will be a good battle though    "
Jeff was pretty spot on on last year's podcast, I think. He said something along the lines that if Uncharted 3 is the same as Uncharted 2, only bigger, it's GOTY and nobody can mess with that, but if Arkham City is Arkham Asylum, only bigger, it's 4 stars at best. I think it boils down to how surprising Arkham City will be.
#36 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

The only thing UC2 missed was more Sully, this pleases me.

#37 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@luigionlsd said:
" Hopefully this is indeed on PS3 and not PSP.  Guess we'll have Uncharted 3 and Tomb Raider 9 competing for "exploration adventure" next holiday season... and I'm pretty sure I know which will win. "
Ugh, its on the ps3, no question.
#38 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

I like deserts in video games, don't really know why, and I like Uncharted. 
I guess I'm going to like this game then.

#39 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" I played the first Uncharted and liked it, but haven't been able to play a lot of the second one. Maybe it's just "too good" for me to enjoy it. It doesn't have any flaws that make it interesting. I'm gonna try to play it again one o' these days I guess. preferably soon. "
I'm not sure that makes sense. Doesn't have flaws that make it interesting?
#40 Posted by drumpsycho89 (505 posts) -

this is such amazing news!!! i love it!!!

#41 Posted by TLance (10 posts) -

oh uncharted how i missed thee.

im pretty curious as to how elena is going to fit into the story now that she's officially with nathan buut definitely a good choice for having him team up with sully this time around. if theres anything uncharted 2 was lacking it was not enough sully and his wisecracks

#42 Edited by blacklab (1542 posts) -

Thank God!  i wonder if there will be a 'deyhdrated' mode rather than fatty mode, since we'll be in the desert.

#43 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

More uncharted is never a bad thing!

#44 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Hyper-realistic heat waves and mirages! Yay!

#45 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Pumped!

#46 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

Can't wait!!! Day 1 Motherfuckers!!!

Really hope they learn from the mistakes of UC2 multiplayer and really put alot of effort into that area of the game.

#47 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

It'll take a lot for me to care about UC3. I found the first game forgettable and the second about average. If it improves significantly on the combat and platforming then I'm back in, as much as I hate the characters/storylines.
As for Batman competing for GOTY? If it's as bad as the first one, it'll win hands down.

#48 Posted by nick_verissimo (1383 posts) -

This sort of makes me want to go back and play both games over the Christmas break.  Definitely a huge fan of the series and i'm excited for more!

#49 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

#50 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

Poised to compete with Spec Ops: The Line?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.