Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Uncharted 3: early impressions (spoiler-free)

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

Edited By Oni

I got my copy today thanks to broken street dates. I played till chapter 10, which took about 4-5 hours.

I like the parts where I'm not playing that game the most. Now more than ever the shooting feels outdated and unsatisfying and the incredibly rigid scripting isn't really doing it for me anymore. There's no tension because there's no question about the outcome. Maybe you die and have to do the last 30 seconds again, not a big deal. I also think the platforming is too finnicky and similarly free of any real tension. Every third jump Nate makes something breaks off and he just BARELY makes it because of course whatever you're jumping to doesn't break off until after you jump off it. I dislike the shooting so much that I've actually killed more dudes by running up to them and punching them, which so far is perfectly doable on normal mode. The gameplay is passable, no more and no less.

I'm still enjoying it mind, but I'm really only interested in seeing the locales and watching the story unfold. I really like the characters and the banter, it's sharp as ever. The actual game part just isn't cutting it anymore, which makes all those 9s and 10s super baffling. Critics aren't actually very critical at all it seems, big shock. The Eurogamer review is the only one I've seen that sheds some light on the game's weak parts, they still gave it an 8 though, and of course the fanboys came out of the woodwork because it didn't jive with their preconceived notions/what other 'critics' were saying.

Here's what the Guardian says: "Uncharted 3, perhaps for the first time, represents what we all hoped games would eventually evolve into." I could not disagree more strongly. Uncharted 3 gives the player no agency whatsoever, and as a narrative it's just a movie within a game. This is not what games should strive to be, even if I think it's fine for some of them to be that (as UC3 does that part well).

I don't dislike Uncharted 3, I quite like it, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as most critics make it out to be, and I'm usually not so far out of touch with the popular opinion. I think a lot of people are easily distracted by high production values and high-quality cinematics, or willing to tolerate average gameplay because they're too distracted by epic set pieces. I basically felt the same way about Uncharted 2 but it's exacerbated in the third outing because it's exactly more of the same.

Thanks for reading, and please keep an open mind about these criticisms until you've played the game (not that I expect I'll find much agreement).
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Oni

I got my copy today thanks to broken street dates. I played till chapter 10, which took about 4-5 hours.

I like the parts where I'm not playing that game the most. Now more than ever the shooting feels outdated and unsatisfying and the incredibly rigid scripting isn't really doing it for me anymore. There's no tension because there's no question about the outcome. Maybe you die and have to do the last 30 seconds again, not a big deal. I also think the platforming is too finnicky and similarly free of any real tension. Every third jump Nate makes something breaks off and he just BARELY makes it because of course whatever you're jumping to doesn't break off until after you jump off it. I dislike the shooting so much that I've actually killed more dudes by running up to them and punching them, which so far is perfectly doable on normal mode. The gameplay is passable, no more and no less.

I'm still enjoying it mind, but I'm really only interested in seeing the locales and watching the story unfold. I really like the characters and the banter, it's sharp as ever. The actual game part just isn't cutting it anymore, which makes all those 9s and 10s super baffling. Critics aren't actually very critical at all it seems, big shock. The Eurogamer review is the only one I've seen that sheds some light on the game's weak parts, they still gave it an 8 though, and of course the fanboys came out of the woodwork because it didn't jive with their preconceived notions/what other 'critics' were saying.

Here's what the Guardian says: "Uncharted 3, perhaps for the first time, represents what we all hoped games would eventually evolve into." I could not disagree more strongly. Uncharted 3 gives the player no agency whatsoever, and as a narrative it's just a movie within a game. This is not what games should strive to be, even if I think it's fine for some of them to be that (as UC3 does that part well).

I don't dislike Uncharted 3, I quite like it, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as most critics make it out to be, and I'm usually not so far out of touch with the popular opinion. I think a lot of people are easily distracted by high production values and high-quality cinematics, or willing to tolerate average gameplay because they're too distracted by epic set pieces. I basically felt the same way about Uncharted 2 but it's exacerbated in the third outing because it's exactly more of the same.

Thanks for reading, and please keep an open mind about these criticisms until you've played the game (not that I expect I'll find much agreement).
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I was a little worried at first until you admitted that you felt near enough the same way about Uncharted 2 :P. I can understand the criticisms thrown towards Uncharted 3's highly scripted nature; it can bestow the feeling of lacking any sort of input that matters and is almost a strong representative of where the majority of games tend to leading. Fortunately I still really liked Uncharted 2 across all aspects, including the shooting--which I've always enjoyed more than, say, Gears of War because of its fast and fluid design--and the scripted set-pieces. I've completed both prior Uncharteds multiple times and I'll more than likely give Uncharted 3 a similar degree of attention--though maybe not as much after hearing that all of the SP cheats, mods and doodads have been removed for ''technical'' reasons.

I do feel that Uncharted's formula has hit its peak (without having played Uncharted 3 yet) and if ND (or whoever, if ND retire their control over the series) released yet another game near enough like U2/U3 just with some more shiny coated over, it would take its toll on even the most dedicated critics. I will also admit I am so goddamn bored of Nathan Drake as a character and I'm looking forward to U3 primarily because of its multiplayer package. But non-the-less, it's gratifying to hear more that this delivers on the same quality as Uncharted 2 did before it--whether of course that's marked as good news is completely subjective, but for me this means I'll find my preorder well worth my paying for.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hbkdx12

For some reason, i'm just not as hyped for this game as i thought i would be at this point. 

I watched a walkthrough online up until about chapter 6 i think it was and i walked away like "meh" It didn't really leave me wanting more although im sure it's a good game and i'm sure i'll like it

When i watched a few batman: Arkham City streams the weekend before release, i regretted it because everything i saw just kept me engaged and i pretty much watched the whole story unfold beginning to end before i even had a chance to play the game, and even when i did i still loved every minute of it. 

I dunno if its some kind of franchise fatigue or what but I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for tuesday to roll around

A few things that bug me about this game tho....

1) no cheats :( 

2) I hate the new movement animations they used. They're meant to look more dynamic but from everything i've seen it makes the game look more "video-gamey"  I hate the "touch every wall i pass by/get close to" animation and i hate the lil "hop-skip" movement they use when you move sideways rather than just a regular pivot and turn. Yeah, they're things that people really do but to see it happen ALL THE TIME is just jarring. Especially the wall touch thing cuz from a lot of the videos i've seen, he does it and half the time he isn't even touch the wall so it looks super janky. If they happened everyone once in a while like say when ur walking slowly or go from standing still into a running motion then it would feel more authentic to me. 

3) Elena and Chloe look worse than they did in Uncharted 2. Sully looks pretty much the same and drake (of course) looks better. But why they tweaked Elena and Chloe so much i'll never understand. Elena looked fine as it was. For Chloe all they needed to do was get rid of the glass eyes.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

@hbkdx12: I'm kinda the same. I'm most certainly looking forward for U3 to roll along, but this doesn't nearly match the anticipation that U2 instilled. Most could be said because I've played a lot of both multiplayer betas, and the competitive multiplayer ironically enough is where my anticipation was drawn towards. Even though there's only be one Uncharted game like this--since Drakes Fortune really is so much more subdued in comparison to 2 it probably doesn't even count--it's weird to find yourself already feeling a little tired with the series. Hopefully the next Uncharted game (ignoring Abyss) will spice up things--and I mean radically. I've already posted this elsewhere, so I'll just copy & Paste what I'd love for the franchise to at least attempt. <3

What I've always envisioned is to have a prequel featuring Sully during his younger years, though even with Sully's newly introduced rigor, instead of shooting/platforming it would feature Adventure game elements like Sully traversing towns, talking, scamming people, filtering for information for a new job and in general a lot of activities that would show off Sully at his sleaziest. Stealth could factor into things as well as Sully commits heists and such.

All that in a what I'd picture being the 60s or 70s could be fantastic. A wholly different kind of game from what the franchise is known for, but at this point a little change is exactly what I'd want if Uncharted is to continue further.

I feel your mourning over the lack of any cheats and modifiers, too. =( I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thinks Elena looks almost like a completely different person... I remember during the summer beta she even had grey hair and I didn't recognise her at all during the Syria coop mission. Chloe from what I saw looks different, too, but not to the extremes of Elena I wouldn't say. She looks terrible in the multiplayer, but, frankly, so does everyone else.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Abyssfull: Now that i think about it. I don't think it's so much of franchise fatigue but more so that you know it's just more uncharted. I felt the same way about the Ratchet and Clank series. The first R&C was meh and when they released the sequel, Going Commando, it improved on everything in every conceivable way. Then they came out with Up Your Arsenal and it was meh because it just because it felt more of less just like Going Commando; not any better but not any worse either. 

I think i feel the same way regarding uncharted. Given i haven't played the game and just speculating off the videos i've seen, it doesn't seem like did anything that would make someone think this game is leaps and bounds better than Uncharted 2. Aside from a better melee system and the obligatory upgrade in graphics and animation, what have they shown to suggest to show that this is a slighty different and yet better game than Uncharted 2? 

The reason i reneged on the idea that i have franchise fatigue is that i think about Assassin's Creed franchise which had a new installment every year but one thing i appreciate about their marketing strategy is that they don't try to sell you on the stuff that you already know it delivers on, it tends to strictly focus on the new gameplay elements and mechanics. In this case ziplining and bomb crafting for example. So even if there is some kind of franchise fatigue, which i certain experience with this series, there's atleast something to peak your interest to some extent. 

I think that that's where Uncharted 3 drops the ball; there isn't any focus on new gameplay elements/aspects/mechanics that suggest that it'll be way better than Uncharted 2. Not bashing the game considering i don't have and i'm sure i'll still enjoy it. But it doesn't seem like there were any risks taken and the idea of whether this game is gonna be better or worse is going to be marginal at best
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

@Oni: How is ze multiplayer?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chop

Heh...It seems to be a common problem, but I've honestly never noticed anything wrong with the actual shooting mechanics in Uncharted. Feels the same as any other third person shooter to me =/

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Revan_NL

Street date has been broken here in the Netherlands as well. Played a couple of hours yesterday and I dunno... it's still Uncharted but the controls seems a bit loose. Perhaps this was the case in Among Thieves as well, but it has been quite some time since I played that game.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oni

@Revan_NL: Yeah I know, fellow Dutchman here :)

@hbkdx12: I think you nailed it, it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt. There is literally nothing Uncharted 3 does that 2 didn't do before it. Sure the melee's a bit better, but just coming off of Arkham City it still feels kind of clunky. In terms of moment to moment gameplay or the experience as a whole, UC3 does exactly the same things as its predecessor. Which for me was fine with UC2 because there wasn't really anything like that at the time, but now they're repeating the exact same tricks I'm less distracted by how good it all looks and focusing more on the average gameplay. With Assassin's Creed I felt like every one of those games played well and was fun, especially from 2 onwards, and it's still a pretty unique franchise, so it doesn't really grate. Third person cover based shooter, not so unique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.