Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Uncharted 3's multiplayer re-released as Free-to-Play on PSN

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

Very curious about diving into this now that it's F2P.

As with most F2P releases, you'll be able to level up a certain amount, up to level 15 of 75 in this case, for free. $5 will unlock levels up to 25, $20 will unlock all the way to level 75. Individual items, whatever they may be, will be around $0.99 each.

"The thing that's most interesting is what does it do to the population of the community? How many more players will we get? How many players will buy in-game items? How many will just play the free version? How many will ignore the co-op? How many will buy level upgrades?"

"If this model were to take off like gangbusters and perform at a level that turned the eyes of Sony, then I have no doubt that would play a hand in the future of how these games are approached from the beginning. For now, we're just testing the waters." - Robert Cogburn

Dear Naughty Dog, please avoid pay to win strategies, try to keep it balanced.
    Dear Naughty Dog, please avoid pay to win strategies, try to keep it balanced.

I have two questions regarding this, will we see a lot of freemium models on PS4 if this succeeds and where's line between a good freemium service and an exploitive one? Because there'll be plenty of companies wanting to push that boundary as far as they can go.

I also wonder if it can carve an eSports niche out for itself, I do recall an Uncharted 3 event on the fighting game stream of one of the big MLG events last year, but MLG's fighting game stream barely gets 1000 viewers at its biggest events in comparison to the hundreds of thousands who tune into League of Legends and Starcraft II. So as far as I'm concerned, it is yet to be seen what Uncharted's multi-player can add to competitive gaming.

For now I can only applaud Naughty Dog for trying and hope they don't screw it up for potential downloadable games in the future.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I'm not wholly surprised. They've already taken U3's multiplayer component the way of the microtransacations where you can literally buy everything, but given that KZ3's multiplayer is F2P indefinitely (I think..?), it's surprising that you're only F2P for the first 15 levels--which you'll attain pretty quickly--before you hafta start dropping some cash. I'm not entirely sure if I'll suddenly want to jump back in, though. While I've had a lot of fun with the multiplayer, the controls for the movement/platforming are far too slippery and a large majority of its maps are total clusterfucks and poorly designed; most especially the Desert Village, Oasis, and Graveyard maps -- God, I especially hate Graveyard.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

Did they mention if the F2P version was separate from the original version? Uncharted 3 isnt especially expensive so it seems to make better sense to try out MP using the F2P client and then just buy the full retail game.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JaredA

I don't know how many people are still play Uncharted's but this seems like a nice way to goose players.

I wonder if this would work well with a Call of Duty game. Maybe, you could pay to increase the level cap of your weapons as opposed to your player level cap.

Also, I looked up the word "goose" to see if I was using it in the right context and apparently this is an accepted definition:

n , goose
    2.a playful prod in the behind

You learn something new everyday.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I'm not wholly surprised. They've already taken U3's multiplayer component the way of the microtransacations where you can literally buy everything, but given that KZ3's multiplayer is F2P indefinitely (I think..?), it's surprising that you're only F2P for the first 15 levels--which you'll attain pretty quickly--before you hafta start dropping some cash. I'm not entirely sure if I'll suddenly want to jump back in, though. While I've had a lot of fun with the multiplayer, the controls for the movement/platforming are far too slippery and a large majority of its maps are total clusterfucks and poorly designed; most especially the Desert Village, Oasis, and Graveyard maps -- God, I especially hate Graveyard.

Many thanks for the perspective of a former Uncharted 3 multiplayer player, I wonder if they've done any improvements to the level-design, I'll keep an eye out.

@pazy said:

Did they mention if the F2P version was separate from the original version? Uncharted 3 isnt especially expensive so it seems to make better sense to try out MP using the F2P client and then just buy the full retail game.

I can confirm that you download the multiplayer client from the PSN store, separate from the original release.

@jareda said:

I don't know how many people are still play Uncharted's but this seems like a nice way to goose players.

I wonder if this would work well with a Call of Duty game. Maybe, you could pay to increase the level cap of your weapons as opposed to your player level cap.

Maybe, Activision is one of those companies who I could see leaning to the exploitive side of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious to see if a community will form at the level 15 F2P cap. Similar to how communities formed around old PC demos, where people could have paid for more content, but were content to keeping their limited options and making the most out of a single map and gametype. Or how there's always a group of people playing WoW battlegrounds at level 20.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By 49th

That's quite strange.

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TBird13

I think it's pretty cool that you can still play after hitting the level cap, unlike Killzone 3's multiplayer trial, where it just stops letting you online without paying. It will be interesting to see how commonplace this practice becomes next gen.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I'm curious to see if a community will form at the level 15 F2P cap. Similar to how communities formed around old PC demos, where people could have paid for more content, but were content to keeping their limited options and making the most out of a single map and gametype. Or how there's always a group of people playing WoW battlegrounds at level 20.

I played Warhawk like that, I had a ton of fun simply playing capture the flag on the same map over and over again.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Sooperspy

@yummylee: The Killzone 3 multiplayer I believe is $15 on the store. It isn't free.

Edit: Okay, guess I was wrong about Killzone 3. You can play for free until the rank of Sergeant I. Not sure how much of a game that is but you can play a bit of it for free.

As for this UC3 F2P thing, if it gets people to join the community then that's cool. I hope that it does well for them and maybe we can get stuff like this in other games in the future.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pazy: Yeah but at the same time...brand new the game is only 20 bucks. So If you actually like the MP(or actually more specifically the coop) in any real way than this f2p thing is kind of a rip off. You're essentially paying twice as much to not be able to play the single player.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By musubi

This seems really weird to integrate a F2P service around a game that is on a disc that you can buy in a store for money. That, if I remember required an online pass right? So thats insane and what if you buy a disc copy of uncharted now do you straight up not need that code even if you are playing the disc version?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@pazy: Yeah but at the same time...brand new the game is only 20 bucks. So If you actually like the MP(or actually more specifically the coop) in any real way than this f2p thing is kind of a rip off. You're essentially paying twice as much to not be able to play the single player.

Thats what I was saying. You download the F2P game and if you like it buy the full retail game. The F2P game just becomes a demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.