Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Uncharted 3's ''Train Set-piece'' equivalent?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

So which of the many set-pieces do you think matched the quality; the exhilaration; the sheer ''eyes-dangling-out-of-your-sockets'' fun of Uncharted 2's train level? I'd say the horseback riding was my favourite set-piece, though nothing quite managed to trump the train section for me personally.... but... that horseback riding segment was still puurty guuuud.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Its a tie between the horseback riding and the boat sequence. Both were incredible.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By nightriff

I will go with the plane sequence, i didn't see much of the game as I was trying to stay away from everything so when it came up it blew me away, also the boat was pretty awesome, love the game EXCEPT for the arena fight style of way to aggressive AI to make it fun or enjoyable

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Slaker117

The train sequence was actually one of the weaker set pieces of Uncharted 2 for me...

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

The ship sinking.....fuckkkkkkkkk.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

@Slaker117 said:

The train sequence was actually one of the weaker set pieces of Uncharted 2 for me...

Fair enough, just it's generally regarded by many (including me) as one of the best, if not the best, parts of Uncharted 2's campaign so I figured that's what I'd slide in the headline. I'm generally just asking here what people's favourite U3 set piece was.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

i think at the end when everything was crumbling around you.... and a sand avalanche was wiping out everything.... i was like "wow that looks cool as fuck".

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Mystyr_E

hotel crashing with you in it = plane falling apart with you in it

going truck to truck taking dudes out = getting in and out of trucks with horsey help taking dudes out

collapsing bridge = floating blocks

only one I'm not quite picturing is the train but it'd probably be the boat

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I remember really liking that train part in Uncharted 2. Nothing in 3 excited me as much. The plane part was great, just wish it was a little longer.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By buzz_killington

Cruise ship flipping over.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Sooperspy

Does the chase after Talbot count? If not, then probably the horseback part.

kyle576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kyle576

For me it is probably the cargo plane. My jaw literally dropped whenever I flew out the plane, and I played that segment again and I was still wowed. Also, the chateau was incredible and I loved the horseback park and going through the desert. As for the train sequence in Uncharted 2, I was blown away by it, but I thought there were some rough combat parts to it. My favorite set-piece from 2 has to be the collapsing hotel. Also, the part where you're going through the tight spaces with drugged up Cutter was super intense for me. Point is I loved the whole game.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

It doesn't touch the train sequence, but my favorite part so far in 3 is the burning Chateau, merely for Sully and I almost plummeting into the ocean of fire from collapsing stairs, and running along the roof as it fell apart.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

@DrPockets000 said:

It doesn't touch the train sequence, but my favorite part so far in 3 is the burning Chateau, merely for Sully and I almost plummeting into the ocean of fire from collapsing stairs, and running along the roof as it fell apart.

Chateau is probably my favourite part too. After Drake drinks the water and caravan 2.0 were also awesome (not to mention the precursor to caravan 2.0, when Salim rescues you).

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By TrashMustache

my fav moment in U2 was the very beginning, the train that drake has to climb, there was just nothing that epic in Uncharted 3. That plane sequence is pretty amazing but I think the most jaw dropping moment is when you're controlling drake through the desert and the camera zooms way the fuck out, that was incredible. The Ship is great as well but you know after revisiting Uncharted 1 recently I realized I kinda like those quite moments in the game. You can tell Naughty Dog really cracked their heads on how to surprise us, which is great but my point is it shows. When The Dark Knight came out some critics pointed out that the movie felt empty because of its constant state of climax, i feel the same about U3. it's great fun but it feels just a tad shallow.

Also I really don't get what people like about the Chateau that much, it's all right but it's a really long chapter and except for the fact that it ends up burning (which is in fact two chapters later) it's basically a mix of U2's borneo and U1's in door arena's. And alot of stuff in U3 is just a variation of sequences found in the previous games. Talbot chase was great (and sets a great example for anyone who's serious about making a good Jason Bourne game)

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @TrashMustache said:

my fav moment in U2 was the very beginning, the train that drake has to climb, there was just nothing that epic in Uncharted 3. That plane sequence is pretty amazing but I think the most jaw dropping moment is when you're controlling drake through the desert and the camera zooms way the fuck out, that was incredible. The Ship is great as well but you know after revisiting Uncharted 1 recently I realized I kinda like those quite moments in the game. You can tell Naughty Dog really cracked their heads on how to surprise us, which is great but my point is it shows. When The Dark Knight came out some critics pointed out that the movie felt empty because of its constant state of climax, i feel the same about U3. it's great fun but it feels just a tad shallow.

Also I really don't get what people like about the Chateau that much, it's all right but it's a really long chapter and except for the fact that it ends up burning (which is in fact two chapters later) it's basically a mix of U2's borneo and U1's in door arena's. And alot of stuff in U3 is just a variation of sequences found in the previous games. Talbot chase was great (and sets a great example for anyone who's serious about making a good Jason Bourne game)

I concur with the Talbot chase. It was just....I got kind of distracted a few times by all of the scenery going on every time. Also, I found the horseback riding thing quite underwhelming, to a degree. It's fun, but when the horse runs past the motorcycle dudes and won't slow down and you die...I wanted to kick a baby. Lol, I loved the entire ship sequence (except for the theater-ish room and machine gun guy) the most, I think. Then the ending with all of the sand and jumping on broken pieces of rubble.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TentPole

I always thought that the tank chase in 2 was the high point. I thought the last chapter of 3 was its high point. Loved the final fight.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

The plane exploding.

BatmanReturned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BatmanReturned

Naughty Dog themselves have said the boat was this games train equivalent. Like the train they had to create incredibly complex tech to make it work the way it does.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By rbanke

I'm at the part where your making your way through the ship graveyard, and I cant think of any moment that stands out yet. I keep seeing people say there are a lot of wow moments in this one, but I'm just not seeing them. Unless wow moment = pretty (but the whole game is pretty, so i dont think so). Skimming these posts, I haven't seen any of the moments talked about, I'm guessing the last half is just much much more action packed or something. I'm hoping so, because so far it's been a pretty disappointing experience. Especially considering Uncharted has become on of my favorite franchises.

zichster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zichster

I saw the plane thing (except for how he lives) and was still OMGWTF at that moment, my jaw dropped when you fly into the crate and frantically pull the shute. The boat was awesome too it kind of turned me around figuring out which way was up at some points. There seemed to be less set pcs. but some varied environments. After you break out of being captured and have to swim, shoot, jump your way to the cruise ship was pretty sweet too.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Andorski

In terms of matching the experience of train setpiece, I'd say the ship sequence. Both were long sequence that had Drake traversing through the transport and taking out foes. As far as my favorite setpiece though, I'd say it was the ambush of the convoy. Tearing through that whole convoy with just a gun and a horse - fucking awesome.

Also, falling building > train. Just sayin'.

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 617_jbug

The Cruise Ship.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tacoboy1986

Most definitely the sinking ship. My adrenaline was pumping!

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MidgardDragon

In response to the topic title: definitely the horseback chase for me. There were other great moments, but none of them felt close to the grand scale of the train ride until the chase.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fetchfox

The horseback riding was fun, but the boat sequence really upped my pulse. I also loved wondering through the desert after the plain crash, great Lawrence of Arabia feeling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.