Video of Aiming problems

#1 Edited by Vitor (2823 posts) -

Here is a video I took while playing the game earlier to showcase the aiming sensitivity issues I've had so far (I am currently uploading another, better quality version as this one was a bit dark - wll edit the thread and add the new one as soon as it's done).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkhdPk639us

It seems to me that the deadzone is far, far too large and this seems to be causing the problems. As you can see above, while panning the camera left or right, or up and down, even if I move the stick, my aim stays completely horizontal or vertical, with no movement in between the axis.

I really hope this gets fixed soon.

Better quality video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU&feature=channel_video_title

#2 Posted by Stingraymond (85 posts) -

That's effing weak dude... but omg Uncharted is so pretty! 10/10!

#3 Posted by Gunrock (144 posts) -

That looks like you need a new controller, i think i would of noticed something that bad, i can't test it atm but yeah that looks wack.

#4 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

I just found that the aiming was really slow, I had to set the sensitivity to max just to be comfortable.

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

I just found that the aiming was really slow, I had to set the sensitivity to max just to be comfortable.

Same. It's weird how efficient the aiming is in multiplayer, though--both competitive and cooperative. I don't see why they couldn't of just shared whatever they done to make aiming in MP far more versatile and appealing in the SP. Now more than ever do I wish they would allow a separate sensitivity slider for SP and MP, too. Always a terrible starting point when heading back into MP to find my reticule darting all over the goddamn place because I forgot to tone it down a bit from my SP preference.

#6 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Weird, I didn't have that issue when playing at all.

#7 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I fucking knew something was off. Aiming and just the general feel of the character's movements were way better in Uncharted 2. I really can't stand the multiplayer in 3 because of the changes they did. It doesn't feel right even on max sensitivity. I feel like I can more around more freely and easily in Gears 3 than Uncharted 3, now that's just fucking sad.

#8 Posted by kishinfoulux (2394 posts) -

But...but...Naughty Dog said it was all in our heads!? Fuck them.

#9 Posted by TheHT (11513 posts) -

Oh what the fuck? That looks straight up broken, dude. You try another controller?

#10 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (140 posts) -

I didn't get why the shooting was as satisfying until people pointed out exactly why. I can't unsee it now and now I would love a patch.

#11 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Yeah, dying for a patch. Actually, scratch that, I'm dying for ND to at least admit there is something wrong. I'll wait as long as I have to for a patch, as long as I know something is coming.

Not addressing the issue reminds me of Sony being real tight lip after the PSN piracy break in...

#12 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

I fucking knew something was off. Aiming and just the general feel of the character's movements were way better in Uncharted 2. I really can't stand the multiplayer in 3 because of the changes they did. It doesn't feel right even on max sensitivity. I feel like I can more around more freely and easily in Gears 3 than Uncharted 3, now that's just fucking sad.

I'm sorry but i would need proof of that. Gear may be more your cup of tea but i never found gears to be about free moving. Gear always seemed to be rolling from cover to cover and all about close combat power weapons.

#13 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I'm really not seeing a problem with the aiming. The enemies seem like they're moving around a lot more. But the aiming seems pretty responsive, at least to me.

#14 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@phantomzxro said:

@Afroman269 said:

I'm sorry but i would need proof of that. Gear may be more your cup of tea but i never found gears to be about free moving. Gear always seemed to be rolling from cover to cover and all about close combat power weapons.

You didn't get what I was saying, which I'm not surprised because it's hard to describe. When I say move more freely I mean the controls have a nice loose feel but also can be precise. I'm not talking about the ability to climb walls and jump. The shooting in that game is just superior and the controls for the character are goddamn tight and precise. UC 2 felt loose but in a good way, UC 3...well it just feels off. It's hard to describe without handing the person the controller and letting them try out the games.

#15 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

@phantomzxro said:

@Afroman269 said:

You didn't get what I was saying, which I'm not surprised because it's hard to describe. When I say move more freely I mean the controls have a nice loose feel but also can be precise. I'm not talking about the ability to climb walls and jump. The shooting in that game is just superior and the controls for the character are goddamn tight and precise. UC 2 felt loose but in a good way, UC 3...well it just feels off. It's hard to describe without handing the person the controller and letting them try out the games.

I say you explained it quite well i must say. I see what you are saying and at the end of the day i don't know if it is just a gameplay trade off that uncharted 3 can make right or wrong. But i feel uncharted is a action adventure game first and shooter second. So i would expect gears to shine when it comes to aiming and shooting over uncharted.

#16 Edited by Vitor (2823 posts) -

@TheHT said:

Oh what the fuck? That looks straight up broken, dude. You try another controller?

I haven't yet, will test it out soon. Although, judging by posts on the official forums, I'm definitely not the only one.

#17 Posted by N7 (3595 posts) -

When I read this a couple of hours ago, I tested it out on my own and didn't have any troubles. I also have never ran into that problem at all.

Just got done playing for a couple of hours too. No problems to be had.  Maybe try a different controller?

#18 Posted by Boboblaw (315 posts) -

The aiming/movement is fine for me no lag at all.

I just tested it out a couple of minutes ago while I finished the game.

#19 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

i felt like either my ps3 controller or uncharted 3 had an odd deadzone in the centre of the stick making small adjustments to aim really difficult... didn't run in the loss of vertical aim with a full horizontal lock though, but never tested for it.

#20 Posted by Vitor (2823 posts) -

@N7 said:

When I read this a couple of hours ago, I tested it out on my own and didn't have any troubles. I also have never ran into that problem at all. Just got done playing for a couple of hours too. No problems to be had. Maybe try a different controller?

Tried my original SIxAxis just now and same results. Did you try just constantly panning to the side and gently feathering the stick up and down (pushing against the corners)? Exact same effect for me as before.

Also, my video now has 311 views and is on the first post of the original NeoGaf UC3 aiming difficulties thread :|

Apparently it's being sent to ND today as part of their efforts to make them aware of the problem and fix it.

#21 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@Vitor: ND is actually inviting GAF to their studio tomorrow to see if they can get everything worked out. Madness.
#22 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Wow that is really weird. I didn't get that, but I did have to turn up the sensitivity to the highest point for the campaign even though I play at 1 point below the halfway point for multiplayer.

#23 Posted by Vitor (2823 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

@Vitor: ND is actually inviting GAF to their studio tomorrow to see if they can get everything worked out. Madness.

Crazy. Can I tag along too? I think my 2nd video is pretty valuable evidence and they'll surely need me there to talk them through it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.