Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

So apparently that trailer was in-game footage.

• 61 results
    doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By doctordonkey

There's a thread on Neogaf right now saying that the trailer was running in-engine, in-game, in real time at 1080p w/ 60fps. It has been cited by 3 separate sources to be true, including Corrine Yu. I want to say it's too good to be true, but I haven't been let down by Naughty Dog yet, and seeing how they managed to make Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us look on a ps3, I can't say I'm completely surprised. With Corrine Yu added to the team as well, I can only imagine the black magic they could be using to make it look like this.

Any thoughts on this? I am quickly becoming very excited for the next 2 years in games. After a pretty (albiet expected, new hardware and all) slow start to the next generation, it seems like things are really picking up. Could we be having another Gears of War moment, where it came out and was visually amazing at the time and other games followed suit?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Seems like about the time we'd start seeing stuff that makes us go "oh wow, this is some next-gen shit".

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NTM

I'm surprised anyone thinks it was fake, though it being 60fps while looking like that, that just, wow. The mere appearance of it though, not surprised.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Huh

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why anyone would think that this wasn't in-game footage. We've seen the kind of shit Naughty Dog is capable; those guys are fucking graphics wizards. I still kinda can't believe The Last of Us looks as good as it does on a PS3. This E3 has got me really, really excited for the rest of this generation.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@doctordonkey: Also, you may want to rename the thread to something along the lines of "Apparently the trailer was running in real time @60FPS" because obviously the trailer is 'real.'

I had no doubt it's in engine, but the 60FPS part is blowing my mind. If ND gets it running in 60FPS with visuals of that fidelity, then they are truly the lords of all the industry. I honestly expected the game to run in 30FPS.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I remember just thinking it was a CGI trailer, that's pretty neat that it's in-game footage.

Though Watch Dogs was a game that looked absolutely AMAZING at E3, and then the graphics were turned down a LOT when it was finally released, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By doctordonkey

@liquidprince: Good call, changed it.

@random45: True, but that's Ubisoft, you almost expect that shit. This is Naughty Dog, there is a certain reputation they uphold, so I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

Wow, I remember just thinking it was a CGI trailer, that's pretty neat that it's in-game footage.

Though Watch Dogs was a game that looked absolutely AMAZING at E3, and then the graphics were turned down a LOT when it was finally released, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ubisoft is fucking amazing, but don't compare them to Naughty Dog. Ubisoft is a multiplatform studio that released Watch Dogs on 5 different consoles, which they started working on five years ago, well before they had any specs on the next generation consoles. Naughty Dog is a first party studio that is probably the most capable in the industry and wringing the absolute most out of the PS4, which they helped Sony and Cerny design in the first place. They know the ins and outs of the PS4 better then probably any other studio out there.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crithon

hmmmm, uncharted did a lot of pre-endered cinematics.... of close up on faces. The In game stuff was burning building, a building crumbling as your inside fighting people and the best wet pants tech..... the more I think about it Uncharted on PS3 looked amazing aside from weird pre-rendered eyes.

I don't doubt that they are saying Uncharted 4 is in game, those guys are the best tech guys in the business. It's just the pre-rendered work in past uncharted games did what it did to get the job done.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I hope that the game is able to maintain this fidelity when the going gets rough in game because that where it matters the most.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The fact that they're aiming for 60fps is insane. Granted, the model won't be this detailed during gameplay, but it's obviously not going to look like shit. That thing was literally approaching CGI movie levels.

To think we are just starting this generation....

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Could we be having another Gears of War moment, where it came out and was visually amazing at the time and other games followed suit?

I don't think this is quite Gears of War, that game did a lot more than just look pretty. It took Kill Switch's cover based shooting and improved it by a hell of a lot, setting up how cover-based shooting would work for pretty much every other game this generation including Uncharted. I'd be surprised if this Uncharted was anything more than, well, Uncharted, in terms of gameplay.

That said, this really does look quite stunning and I hope it's a sign of what we can expect this generation to look like. Particularly the part where it's running at 60 frames per second.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally thought that was CGI. If this is what people are capable of only 2 years into these consoles' lifetimes just imagine what we'll be seeing by their ends.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yup. Pretty sick.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't know why so many people were doubting it. Yes, it looks better than the other stuff we've seen thus far on PS4, but this is a game that says 2015, but will probably be delayed into 2016. And it's coming from NAUGHTY DOG. You know, the people that pushed the PS3 more than everybody else.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TLOU Remastered is supposed to be 1080/60, and we will all see how that looks very soon now. And then imagine what one more year of development will be able to improve. Never underestimate Naughty Dog.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I hope that the game is able to maintain this fidelity when the going gets rough in game because that where it matters the most.

When the going gets rough it won't matter. The models that Naughty Dog uses for their in game cut scenes are different from the ones you actually see and control during normal gameplay when there is more shit on screen. That's how they are able to make them so detailed and not have the console crap out in the first place, because they are only rendering the close up, as soon as the cut scene ends and the camera shifts it won't be using a model this detailed and resource intensive. They just have gotten much much better over the years to smoothly hiding the swap to the point where now you don't notice the transition itself it at all.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone kind of thinks of TLOU Remastered as Sony just milking it's cash cow again, but I think part of it is giving Naughty Dog some PS4 experience ahead of Uncharted 4. Seems like it's paying off.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatness awaits

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is cool.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking amazing, wish they had more to show but I realize it is far from done.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Naughty Dog pulled off some amazing feats on the PS3. I wouldn't be surprised if they're capable of this on the PS4.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Jesus Christ next years E3 you guys. I wanna see this in actual motion.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will my pc be able to run this

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee

While Uncharted 4 is likely to look absolutely stunning, it's still worth noting that there was a degree of disparity between the in-game cutscenes of The Last of Us compared to its gameplay. Though of course that was released at the tail end of the PS3, whereas Uncharted 4 is to be released during what should be the PS4 at its prime.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm not surprised. We've already seen character models with this kind of fidelity in action in The Order: 1886. The surprising thing is that they're shooting for 60 FPS. I'll believe it when I see it.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do we think the title means they're wrapping up the franchise with this?

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HeyGuys

Actual game play footage is what I want to see, before that I'm impressed but not blown away.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fucking Naughty Dog. I'm amazed that the trailer was in game footage, but if anyone would be able to do it it's them

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fushichou187

There's a color corrected version of that teaser floating around as well. Looks amazing.

Here's a grab:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

and here's the link: https://mega.co.nz/#!X0xFRTZb!uuhGA6R_P-6qkVX_R9aKWVLbuS9E0zyEzifUGf4CBtQ

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee

There's a color corrected version of that teaser floating around as well. Looks amazing.

Here's a grab:

No Caption Provided

and here's the link: https://mega.co.nz/#!X0xFRTZb!uuhGA6R_P-6qkVX_R9aKWVLbuS9E0zyEzifUGf4CBtQ

It's so weird how different Drake now looks. He's like a cross between Nathan Fillion and Chuck Greene.

I mean... right??
    I mean... right??
    Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

It's so weird how different Drake now looks. He's like a cross between Nathan Fillion and Chuck Greene.

Hah. I was going to go with a better Nathan Fillion/Nolan North hybrid myself ;)

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@corvak said:

Everyone kind of thinks of TLOU Remastered as Sony just milking it's cash cow again, but I think part of it is giving Naughty Dog some PS4 experience ahead of Uncharted 4. Seems like it's paying off.

I think normally a dev studio would assign a newer or junior team for those remasters, so that they can build up development experience from it. But that's just my speculation.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sub_o

Here's a grab:

No Caption Provided

Hmmm. I can't seem to get over that for this gen, most characters (when you view the whole body, not the face only), they seem to be bit more action figure-y rather than human looking.

Not complaining though, just pondering if this is because they are using some specific kind of shader, or is it the lighting on the clothing that causes this.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sub_o: It's just that the detail isn't quite there to make it look like they are real people, but it does make them look like high end figurines.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sub_o

@sub_o: It's just that the detail isn't quite there to make it look like they are real people, but it does make them look like high end figurines.

Yeah, you're probably right.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

Everyone kind of thinks of TLOU Remastered as Sony just milking it's cash cow again, but I think part of it is giving Naughty Dog some PS4 experience ahead of Uncharted 4.

Well, its a bit of both. It's kinda of a waste if they we're testing stuff with the Remastered version and not put out the finished product to market. I mean it's fine that they're doing this anyway since its a great game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ripelivejam

i'm just glad there's still a ton of people doing stylized character designs and worlds with this tech in addition to the hyper realistic gritty glistening overly-detailed stuff. it was always my fear that cartoony or more imaginative/oddball designs would go the way of the dodo as fidelity increased.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Does anyone remember the in engine footage we saw of the last of us?. That seemed like a cg trailer at the time and it ended up being the real deal. This really doesn't surprise me at all. It's only natural people are skeptical though. I mean, that trailer looks gorgeous.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So these new consoles sure are crappy huh?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

If they get the game looking like that AND locked at 60fps from beginning to end, I'll buy the game regardless of anything else.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of games claim to have in engine in game trailers shown

Doesn't mean the final game still won't use lower graphical textures and models, etc etc.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Whac-A-Mole never looked so good.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their cinematics are always a bit different than what the actual playable game looks like, but I bet it will look amazing regardless. The ps4 is leaps and bounds more powerful than the ps3, and they pulled off some amazing stuff with that console.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like his change in look is a really well done jump in age.

I feel like I'm doing that squinty, "yeah that's him" that you do when you see someone you haven't seen in 5-10 years.

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their cinematics are always a bit different than what the actual playable game looks like, but I bet it will look amazing regardless. The ps4 is leaps and bounds more powerful than the ps3, and they pulled off some amazing stuff with that console.

To be fair, we haven't seen what ND can do in terms of fidelity during actual gameplay on the PS4 with something they've built from the ground up. The disparity between cutscenes and gameplay will always be the limitation of the hardware and they got pretty close to parity with TLoU on the PS3 with all its limitations. I think we're all going to be in for a treat when UC4 releases next year.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can believe that the game will look like that but I won't believe the 60 fps part until I see it with my own eyes

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty Dog should put that much effort into the actual shooting and gameplay. Then maybe they'd have something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.