Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 19, 2007

Become Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter and descendant of famed explorer Sir Francis Drake as he searches for the lost treasure of El Dorado.

BulletPointReview: Uncharted Drakes Fortune (PS3)

Rodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

Edited By Rodent

What is it? - Take the cover and gun mechanic from Gears of War, sprinkle in the exploration elements of Tomb Raider and add some Indiana Jones-esque attitude and adventuring and you're basically there.

What I liked:

Water - How many times in a game when you shoot someone do they fall in the water and simply disappear? Lot's right? In Uncharted when a body falls into the water it floats. And not only that, but if it lands in say, some rapids, the body will float down those rapids. It's pretty cool to see.

Colors - Lots of games this generation are known for their gorgeous graphics...like Gears of War. The problem is games like Gears stick to a very brown darkish color palette. In Uncharted not only are the graphics pretty damn nice to look at, the colors the producers have used here are amazing and really make the game pop from a visual standpoint.

Animation - When Drake makes his way through a certain submarine that he discovers along the way he moves through it with amazingly detailed animations. Since the sub is full of tight spaces, he'll grab a door frame or prop his foot up on a step and that simple animation gives the sense that Drake is really there and interacting with his environment.

What I didn't like:

Bugs - No not the kind of bugs one might find in a jungle game, I'm talking about game bugs. The kind that take you out of the experience. Drakes Fortune has a lot of screen tearing and that takes away from the visuals and is really distracting.

Enemies - If you shot a dude wearing a white wife beater he'd probably go down pretty fast wouldn't you say? Not here. The baddies in Uncharted take alot of ammo to put down...that is unless you manage to pull off head shots. Oh and for the most part the bad guys all look the same. Not cool. Let's mix it up Naughty Dog.

Boss - The end boss, IMO, is really disappointing and doesn't really live up to the end fight I was hoping for...which I won't spoil here.

Summary - A buddy of mine told me that Uncharted was a really short game and was not worth full price. He could not have been more wrong. True I got the game when it dropped to Greatest Hits and thus paid less than full retail. But if I had have picked up Uncharted when it was the full $69 (up here in Canada) I would have come away from the game fully satisfied. Uncharted is honestly one of the best games I have ever played on my PS3...quite possibly the best. As for the length, it's not the longest game ever made but, IMO, it ended right when it needed to.

If you have a PS3 and have been wondering about picking up Uncharted wait no longer. This is game is amazing.

I give Uncharted Drake's Fortune (PS3) a 5 out of 5.     

Rodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Rodent

What is it? - Take the cover and gun mechanic from Gears of War, sprinkle in the exploration elements of Tomb Raider and add some Indiana Jones-esque attitude and adventuring and you're basically there.

What I liked:

Water - How many times in a game when you shoot someone do they fall in the water and simply disappear? Lot's right? In Uncharted when a body falls into the water it floats. And not only that, but if it lands in say, some rapids, the body will float down those rapids. It's pretty cool to see.

Colors - Lots of games this generation are known for their gorgeous graphics...like Gears of War. The problem is games like Gears stick to a very brown darkish color palette. In Uncharted not only are the graphics pretty damn nice to look at, the colors the producers have used here are amazing and really make the game pop from a visual standpoint.

Animation - When Drake makes his way through a certain submarine that he discovers along the way he moves through it with amazingly detailed animations. Since the sub is full of tight spaces, he'll grab a door frame or prop his foot up on a step and that simple animation gives the sense that Drake is really there and interacting with his environment.

What I didn't like:

Bugs - No not the kind of bugs one might find in a jungle game, I'm talking about game bugs. The kind that take you out of the experience. Drakes Fortune has a lot of screen tearing and that takes away from the visuals and is really distracting.

Enemies - If you shot a dude wearing a white wife beater he'd probably go down pretty fast wouldn't you say? Not here. The baddies in Uncharted take alot of ammo to put down...that is unless you manage to pull off head shots. Oh and for the most part the bad guys all look the same. Not cool. Let's mix it up Naughty Dog.

Boss - The end boss, IMO, is really disappointing and doesn't really live up to the end fight I was hoping for...which I won't spoil here.

Summary - A buddy of mine told me that Uncharted was a really short game and was not worth full price. He could not have been more wrong. True I got the game when it dropped to Greatest Hits and thus paid less than full retail. But if I had have picked up Uncharted when it was the full $69 (up here in Canada) I would have come away from the game fully satisfied. Uncharted is honestly one of the best games I have ever played on my PS3...quite possibly the best. As for the length, it's not the longest game ever made but, IMO, it ended right when it needed to.

If you have a PS3 and have been wondering about picking up Uncharted wait no longer. This is game is amazing.

I give Uncharted Drake's Fortune (PS3) a 5 out of 5.     

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore
    @Rodent said:
    "

Uncharted is honestly one of the best games I have ever played on my PS3...quite possibly the best.

Dude:

No Caption Provided

PLAY IT FOOL
    Rodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rodent

I will I will. 

Currently I'm wandering the wastelands of FallOut3 GoTY ed. After finishing off that I hope to pick up Uncharted 2. 
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995

Uncharted 2 for Uncharted is a bit like what Pikmin 2 was for Pikmin-both of hem got already great prequels, modified a few sections, and ended up with a game that had the same feel as the prequel, but had some great improvements which increased the quality of the game.

Rodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rodent

Yeah I cannot wait check out Uncharted 2. But I gotta finish playing FO3 first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.