David O. Russell No Longer Planning to Ruin Uncharted Movie

• 134 results
Posted by Alex (2405 posts) -

David O. Russell's tenure as potential director for Sony's film adaptation of its hit Uncharted game franchise has been fraught with highs and lows. Fans seemed to find his selection curious, though generally welcome, given his pedigree as a filmmaker. Then, he made the mistake of telling everyone what the movie he was going to make actually was.

Pictured: Director David O. Russell explains exactly how much chance there was of him completing work on an Uncharted film.

His vision of a "family-based drama" featuring Mark Wahlberg as hero Nathan Drake, and his family of rare artifact dealers--including, of all people, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci--didn't exactly jive with what fans were looking for. Plus, there's his tempestuous personality to account for. Hiring the man who famously turned the seemingly unflappable George Clooney into a face-punching lunatic, and felt it necessary to call Lily Tomlin, of all people, a c-word that refers to a woman's lady parts, didn't exactly seem like a formula for getting a movie made in a calm and orderly fashion.

Those suspicions were heightened when he reportedly backed out of the project last year, but then in October he opted to sign on to write and direct the Uncharted film of his, and nobody else's, desire. Until today, that is.

Indeed, Russell is once again out as Uncharted's director. Current reports suggest he may have avoided getting into any verbal and/or physical brawls with those involved in the movie, and just found another project he'd rather work on. Supposedly, he'll be working on a film called The Silver Linings Playbook, and also may be taking star Mark Wahlberg with him for this one, which would leave the role of Nathan Drake open for the taking.

Now seems like a great time to start up your letter-writing campaign for Nathan Fillion again. Or hey, why not really throw everyone for a loop and actually cast Nolan North? I feel like he's earned it, at this point.

#1 Posted by Alex (2405 posts) -

David O. Russell's tenure as potential director for Sony's film adaptation of its hit Uncharted game franchise has been fraught with highs and lows. Fans seemed to find his selection curious, though generally welcome, given his pedigree as a filmmaker. Then, he made the mistake of telling everyone what the movie he was going to make actually was.

Pictured: Director David O. Russell explains exactly how much chance there was of him completing work on an Uncharted film.

His vision of a "family-based drama" featuring Mark Wahlberg as hero Nathan Drake, and his family of rare artifact dealers--including, of all people, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci--didn't exactly jive with what fans were looking for. Plus, there's his tempestuous personality to account for. Hiring the man who famously turned the seemingly unflappable George Clooney into a face-punching lunatic, and felt it necessary to call Lily Tomlin, of all people, a c-word that refers to a woman's lady parts, didn't exactly seem like a formula for getting a movie made in a calm and orderly fashion.

Those suspicions were heightened when he reportedly backed out of the project last year, but then in October he opted to sign on to write and direct the Uncharted film of his, and nobody else's, desire. Until today, that is.

Indeed, Russell is once again out as Uncharted's director. Current reports suggest he may have avoided getting into any verbal and/or physical brawls with those involved in the movie, and just found another project he'd rather work on. Supposedly, he'll be working on a film called The Silver Linings Playbook, and also may be taking star Mark Wahlberg with him for this one, which would leave the role of Nathan Drake open for the taking.

Now seems like a great time to start up your letter-writing campaign for Nathan Fillion again. Or hey, why not really throw everyone for a loop and actually cast Nolan North? I feel like he's earned it, at this point.

#2 Edited by Sanj (2546 posts) -

Thank fuck.
#3 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

I can  dig it

#4 Posted by Nicholas (416 posts) -

Word.

#5 Posted by froesti (100 posts) -

Wahlberg sucked anyways.

#6 Posted by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -
#7 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

I love that I can guess which stories are from Alex based on the headlines.

#8 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -

Awesome, fuck that guy.

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -
@froesti said:
Wahlberg sucked anyways.
Feel it feel it!
#10 Posted by Falconer (1711 posts) -

Nathan Fillion. 

MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.

#11 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

I will sleep well tonight.

#12 Edited by bkbroiler (1642 posts) -

Just for the record, I saw him speak after a screening of The Fighter and he seemed like a very likable and well-balanced guy. I don't think those youtube clips tell the full story of David O. Russell. I've even heard they are fake and released "for fun," though that could be complete bullshit.

I wouldn't want to see a family oriented Uncharted either (though I have little to no interest in the film at all), but just trying to give a little balance to O. Russell from the brief period I saw him.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

After seeing that video you linked for the cunt word he seems like a major douchebag.

#14 Posted by admanb (225 posts) -

He sounds like a c-word that refers to a woman's lady parts.

#15 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

good, now we can have the proper Nathan Drake (i.e. nathan fillion)

#16 Posted by JayDubya (166 posts) -

Wahlberg is a fine actor but seems to lack the tongue in cheek character of Nathan Drake. 
For me there are only two obvious Nathan Drake's and those are Nolan North and Nathan Fillion with Fillion being my preferred actor. 

Glad Russell is out of the picture as a director. The direction he wanted to take with the movie seemed wrong.

#17 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -

Nolan North could do it. He looks allright. On that note, David Hayter could easily play Snake.

#18 Posted by Dynamix (133 posts) -

Thank you, Lord!

#19 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

This is great news!

#20 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
After seeing that video you linked for the cunt word he seems like a major douchebag.

You fail at self-censorship.
#21 Posted by nick_verissimo (1404 posts) -
@ShaggyChu said:
Nathan Fillion.  MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.
Yes! Dear God, yes!
#22 Posted by GozerTC (458 posts) -
@ShaggyChu said:

Exactly.  
#23 Posted by Metiphis (388 posts) -

Great news, he was totally wrong for the movie and so was Mark Wahlberg.

#24 Posted by Mandrewgora (193 posts) -

well, good.

#25 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

Well some good news for once in regards to this movie. Like hitting 2 birds with one stone now if we can make it 3 for 3 and can this movie entirely.

#26 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

I think they should get some one like Darren Aronofsky in to do the movie... just for grins.

#27 Posted by Bones8677 (3283 posts) -

There is a God. ;P

#28 Posted by PenguinDust (12641 posts) -

To put it simply... 

#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

This is good news but why are people wanting Nathan Fillion to be part of this project now? Uncharted is great because it's a game. If it was translated to film it would be a poor mans Indian Jones.

#30 Posted by Nokterian (61 posts) -

Aaaaaww yeah! Nathan fillion for drake!

#31 Posted by Legend (2664 posts) -

Nathan Fillion is perfect for the role.

#32 Posted by watership (19 posts) -

David O. Russell and Mark Wahlberg were the only talent this movie was really going to get.  People celebrating his exit are going to get something far worse now.

#33 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

Awesome! Now somebody else can ruin it!

#34 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Great news, just have to hope no one else picks it up.

#35 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Yeah, casting an A list star like Wahlberg would really have ruined the movie. Let's dig up that hackjob from Castle and put him in, really seal the DVD movie quality of this POS.

#36 Posted by Peteybird (17 posts) -
@watership said:
David O. Russell and Mark Wahlberg were the only talent this movie was really going to get.  People celebrating his exit are going to get something far worse now.
I don't know about "something far worse," but their involvement was definitely something to celebrate. I love Fillion as much as the next dork, though. Get him and some folks from the Bad Robot crew onboard, and I'll be pleased as punch.
#37 Posted by Vendetta (434 posts) -

Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion would both be perfect for this movie as writer/director and star, respectfully

#38 Posted by kollay (1943 posts) -

"Artifact dealer" 

Yeah, did sound like trash.

#39 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

Alex, you're totally fucking right, Nathan Fillion needs to happen in that movie.

#40 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

So does that mean we should continue our NathanFillionforNathanDrake campaign?

#41 Posted by blalala (122 posts) -

Time for Uwe Boll to step in.

#42 Posted by Box3ru13 (710 posts) -

Some good news

#43 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
To put it simply... 
I concur.
#44 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Yeah. It sure is great that this amazing director with a great track record isn't going to 'ruin' this movie anymore.

#45 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -
@ShaggyChu said:
This
#46 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@GravityProof said:
Yeah. It sure is great that this amazing director with a great track record isn't going to 'ruin' this movie anymore.
Good thing you read the article...  

His vision of a "family-based drama" featuringMark Wahlberg as hero Nathan Drake, and his family of rare artifact dealers--including, of all people, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci--didn't exactly jive with what fans were looking for. Plus, there's his tempestuous personality to account for. Hiring the man who famously turned the seemingly unflappable George Clooney into a face-punching lunatic, and felt it necessary to call Lily Tomlin, of all people,a c-word that refers to a woman's lady parts, didn't exactly seem like a formula for getting a movie made in a calm and orderly fashion.
Sounds exactly like what you'd want out of a Uncharted Movie.
#47 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

*Ahem* Yes. *Ahem*

#48 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -
@DillonWerner said:
@ShaggyChu said:
This
#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@GravityProof said:
Now that the pesky A list talent is on the ropes, I sure hope the movie execs pander to a bunch of nerds that are just going to pirate the movie and bitch about it regardless, that makes a lot of market sense.
#50 Posted by AlKusanagi (995 posts) -

I love me some Nat-Fill, but that Nolan is a dreamboat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.