Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Under Night In-Birth

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 20, 2012

A 2D fighting game from the studio behind the Melty Blood series, featuring a new original setting involving mysterious supernatural forces happening behind-the-scenes in the modern world.

Giant Bomb UNIEL Community!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Belegorm
    No Caption Provided

Hey gals and guys,

I thought that with the NA release of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late coming out in less than 2 weeks, I'd listen to some Pink Floyd!

Okay, that and try and gauge what we've got here in terms of a potential GB UNIEL community. Obviously people have been able to import this game on PSN for some time, but for myself and for many other people, the U.S. release is when we'll finally be getting our hands on the game.

For those unfamiliar, what is UNIEL, in a nutshell? I'm going to quote SRK user FatalSeabass here:

No Caption Provided

"I think UNIEL is an amazing game. As that one guy said, it's practically anime Super Turbo. The game emphasizes properly using the neutral game and footsies in order to gain leverage against your opponent. I think that is why so many SF players gravitate towards it. It's the perfect union between two fantastic series i.e Melty Blood and Street Fighter. The game saw a lot of entrants at previous tournaments because of it's nature and that's without localization. I'm sure it will do well when it comes out this month.... The game just has a ton of fun characters, so here is to hoping to a great lifespan in the FGC for UNIEL."

This game did surprisingly well in the NA FGC last year, considering it was a practically indie import anime fighting game. Though not so surprisingly for some of us, as years back the fighting game I really cut my teeth on before SF4 was Melty Blood, from the same developers (French Bread). The game didn't make Evo this year (which is to be expected considering it's new, it's niche, and it was vying with GG, BB, and P4AU). But this game has a lot of potential and there are a lot of people interested that will check it out on Feb. 24th when it is released stateside.

No Caption Provided

I thought a way to try and keep this game going after the initial rush, and a way to play with cool GB duders would be to organise our GB UNIEL community, share PSN handles, thoughts on the game, see who's going to what tournaments to meet up, and drum up more support for this game. I'm going to Winter Brawl 9 next weekend in Philly, hopefully will have a chance to play people in this game there, but won't have a chance to play the game before then.

I'll try to edit the end of this post with PSN tags if I can (at least if people actually post interest and PSN names!), but if I fall behind check later posts in this thread!

UNIEL Resources for Newer Players:

PSN ID's:

• Belegorm (also my Steam ID, easiest way to get a hold of me for UNIEL or other FG's)
    • CallMeTetris
    • catbond
    • L1GHTN1N
    • MikeFightNight
    • Terach-
    • xLLeg3ndX

A number of the GB anime fighter guys hang out in #GB_P4A on quakenet IRC, chat there to try and find some games!

terach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UNIEL is great, more people should play it. It's been a little dead lately but hopefully it picks up steam with the official NA release.

For those interested, the official tutorial videos are really good at breaking down the game and characters. Other resources include the Dustloop forums and the wiki.

Feel free to add me to the list!

PSN: Terach-

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great links! Other resources would be UltraChen's youtube channel and their twitch channel. They have made some nice tutorial videos/streams in the past, and also really, really love the game so they have plans to try and promote the community with the NA release.

Sadly this site's kinda dead now, but Melty Bread is the home for Melty Blood, the first game that the same devs made, it also has some UNIEL info.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By irrelevantjohn

UNIEL is a really fun game. We can have a fun party like merkava!

No Caption Provided

Add me on PSN if you ever wanna play.

PSN: xLLeg3ndX

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

PSN is catbond and I'll never be on to play anyone with my shitty internet but there it is.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I still have the JP version but I haven't touched it in many months. The only FG I've been keeping up with is Xrd but if you can get some GB people for casuals going at some point I would be down. PSN MikeFightNight

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is now out on PSN for anyone that cares! With PS+ you can get it for about $25!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

The game is now out on PSN for anyone that cares! With PS+ you can get it for about $25!

So salty that I bought this for full-price retail. That's like, $15 buffalo ranch mcchikens.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Belegorm

As others have mentioned, the game is out! Haven't had much of a chance to play it yet apart from messing around with it at Winter Brawl, trying out a few combos, and trying 1 ranked match (felt less laggy than USF4 by far), but so far the game has seemed really solid to me. Hopefully the devs will do some more work with balancing the game (seriously like every match at WB9 was Gordeau vs Merkava), but I have really high hopes for this game and it's really fun to play!

Anyone know of any resource for combos? I've been looking around and the amount of written resources are kind of sparse. Mostly have found youtube videos in Japanese that either don't have the moves spelled out, or the names of the moves are in Japanese so it's puzzling to figure out which move. Personally I'm looking for Orie combos.

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@belegorm said:

As others have mentioned, the game is out! Haven't had much of a chance to play it yet apart from messing around with it at Winter Brawl, trying out a few combos, and trying 1 ranked match (felt less laggy than USF4 by far), but so far the game has seemed really solid to me. Hopefully the devs will do some more work with balancing the game (seriously like every match at WB9 was Gordeau vs Merkava), but I have really high hopes for this game and it's really fun to play!

Anyone know of any resource for combos? I've been looking around and the amount of written resources are kind of sparse. Mostly have found youtube videos in Japanese that either don't have the moves spelled out, or the names of the moves are in Japanese so it's puzzling to figure out which move. Personally I'm looking for Orie combos.

Hello Orie buddy. The character pages over at the the mizuumi wiki - http://in-birth.wikia.com/wiki/System - contain combos in addition to other useful info. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Most of the basic combos I use involve some variation of her persona loop which is 2C 4C 214B 2C 4C 214B 214A (optional 41236C at the end)

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Add me: xLLeg3ndX. There's some GB folks that plays together from time to time. If you are on now join us!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Belegorm

@gravitypenguin: Oh thanks for the advice, I missed that wiki, only tried good ol' mizuumi. I'm going to try and training mode warrior it out this week, combos don't seem like a big execution barrier to entry at least (mostly because they remind me of Akiha's combos), and will try and get the local FGC crew into it if I can (mainly a 3S, ST and GG crew).

Edit: I'll edit the resources people have posted so far into the OP soon. It'd be cool if we could get GB casual tournaments going like the way the GG crew does (or at least I believe so). BTW steam username is also Belegorm, easiest way to get a hold of me for UNIEL or USF4 or whatever. I think we should either take over the dead UNIEL steam group, or make a GB steam group page maybe to help find people online for matches?

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm by the way if you want to chat with us a number of us GB anime fighter players hang out in #GB_P4A on quakenet IRC.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: GGs for the casuals. Hopefully we all can do this again.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was definitely thinking about picking this up while it's on sale this week. I'm usually really slow when it comes to actually playing new fighting games, but maybe having some duders to play against will encourage me a bit. Don't have any experience with anime fighters aside from labbing it up in BB and Xrd, so all these SF comparisons I'm hearing have me pretty interested.

PSN is CallMeTetris, hoping to get a chance to try it out soon.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Belegorm

Oh man, while I am definitely an Orie fan hearing that (now that we've seen them in English), that all Eltnum's win quotes are 4th wall breaking Melty Blood in-jokes... oh man I need to try out some Eltnum. I always liked her in MB though I didn't play her as the gun seemed complicated.

Also, @unastrike where's our Under Night QL?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gravitypenguin: So far (like... this morning and a bit of last night I've been doing 2A 5A 5B 5C into her 2C 4C 214B 2C 4C 214B 214A; what's other ways to hit confirm into the persona loop that you use? Like out of the longer range pokes than jabs, and more damaging punishes for whiffed DP's and such.

And by 41236C at the end, do you mean after the 214A or instead of it?

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gravitypenguin

@belegorm said:

@gravitypenguin: So far (like... this morning and a bit of last night I've been doing 2A 5A 5B 5C into her 2C 4C 214B 2C 4C 214B 214A; what's other ways to hit confirm into the persona loop that you use? Like out of the longer range pokes than jabs, and more damaging punishes for whiffed DP's and such.

And by 41236C at the end, do you mean after the 214A or instead of it?

Yeah I meant half-circle C after 214A.

So yeah here's some basic combos that involve the persona loop:

2A 5B 5C -> persona loop (this is my preferred starter since it's part of my standard block string)

236B 236C -> persona loop (100 meter required)

66C 214A 214A 236C -> persona loop (100 meter required)

6B 214A 214A 236C -> persona loop (100 meter required)

Some other basic Orie stuff to know:

• 236B can be charged leading to some Orie's most damaging meterless comobs: ex. 236[B] 5A 5C 623A 5A 5C 214B 2C 4C 214B 214A (+ optional 41236C)
    • 236B can be canceled into 22C on block to make it safe and give you additional time to pressure your opponent
    • You can end your persona loop early by canceling a 2C into 22A for wakeup pressure
    • Orie's "shoryuken" is not invincible aside from the 623C version and is functionally more of an anti-air than a reversal option
    • 41236C is highly invincible and can be used to punish projectiles and other moves if you have good reactions

Anyway that just scratches the surface of things, but there's some infos for ya.

edit: oh yeah my goto block string:

2A 5B 5C 2C 5A 5A 214A 214B

This is useful since it ends +frames so you can often frame trap your foe with a follow up 236B unless they're shielding at the end. Also you can mix a 6B in there at pretty much any point for an overhead.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Belegorm

Pretty much this whole night I've been attempting to figure out how the hell to get my mic working on the ps3 :P And also for most of the time couldn't hear the people voice chatting :)

choop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L-looking for someone to play with (from Israel)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Any europeans in the community play this? I only picked it up yesterday (busy working) and my "in depth" fighting game experience is limited to only SF4, so I'm probably gonna be pretty bad for a little bit, but it'd be fun to find someone from around here to play. I'm really into the footsie gameplay and combo system so far, so I think I'll stick with it on the side as long as there are people to play.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brought it to the local FGC weekly (only one we have at the moment, pretty small), took a while to find people to play with but the reaction was pretty positive, most people there had played the JP or HK release already. Going to try and get it into local tournaments (then proceed to go 0-2 :P).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.