Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unit 13

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

Unit 13 is a third person military shooter from SOCOM developers Zipper Interactive.

So getting this Day One...

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I have put around 5.5 hours just into the demo of the game, playing through as different classes, branching out on different paths when possible. As a fan of Splinter Cell, this seems right up my alley. It sounds like there may be less of an overarching story and a more compartmentalized mission structure, and from what I can tell, looks like there will be 30 missions in the full game, along with the coop, leaderboards, and daily challenges.

Looks like this could be a great launch window title for the Vita, and Amazon just gave it Release Date Shipping, so I'm 100% in on this one as my 2nd retail Vita game purchase to follow up Uncharted.

crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By crunchmonkey

I just went in to Best Buy to pick up SSX and they had 6 copies of this game on the shelf at $34.99. Might want to check out your local Best Buy if you want it a week early and $5 less. I was tempted to pick it up but between SSX and Mass Effect 3 next week, I'll be keeping busy.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

Hmm, I've only played some of the demo on the bus in today. It seemed to be decent, it controlled okay I guess if I really focused and tweaked the sensitivity to my liking and didn't play on a bus I'd have a better experience. The aiming with the small sticks felt a little awkward and it didn't really grip me as something that I must buy, but I'll probably pick it up at some point depending on reviews.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Hosstile17

I thought the demo was pretty good. But, I agree with

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It seems like coop is a major focus, and no one I know has purchased a Vita yet.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Djratchet

@Hosstile17 said:

Unit 13's shooting felt a hell of a lot better than Uncharted's at least to me.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@crunchmonkey said:

I just went in to Best Buy to pick up SSX and they had 6 copies of this game on the shelf at $34.99. Might want to check out your local Best Buy if you want it a week early and $5 less. I was tempted to pick it up but between SSX and Mass Effect 3 next week, I'll be keeping busy.

I'll have to check out the one by work at lunch today and see if I get lucky. Thanks for the heads up.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emergency

@Djratchet said:

@Hosstile17 said:

Unit 13's shooting felt a hell of a lot better than Uncharted's at least to me.

Yeah i think you are right. I was able to pull off successful headshots quite well, without having to zoom out again.

SuperCabboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SuperCabboy

I'll buy it if I can find someone to play coop with. I liked the demo.

gave1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gave1

the shooting took me a couple of minute to work through, but after that, i was doing fine. Loved the demo and will be adding it to my vita library.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By 014

@Krakn3Dfx said:

I'm 100% in on this one as my 2nd retail Vita game purchase to follow up Uncharted.

Same for me. I just pre-ordered on Amazon using $10 in gift cards, so $30 shipped. Using Swagbucks as my search engine pays off. That's how I earn the gift cards. I'll be sure to put you folks on my PSN friends if you're not already so we can do co-op.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CaLe

I was impressed when I first got into the game as it was the first real Vita game I played. By the time I finished it I felt it just couldn't be more generic if it tried. Immediately uninstalled. I do like how they have made it suitable for portables though (short missions).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By 014

This interview with gameplay footage made me want the game even more after playing the demo. I didn't realize you could upgrade your guy's weapons.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By X19

No multiplayer 0.o

Zipper needs to make a Socom HD collection (1+2). If they released that only on the Vita it would sell a shit ton of Vitas.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EthanielRain

@SuperCabboy said:

I'll buy it if I can find someone to play coop with. I liked the demo.

There's plenty of Giantbombers around :D

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Etnos

its the most generic thing I've seen in a while, I pass.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Phatmac

never heard of it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Weird, wasn't this announced as a first person shooter a year ago, kind of more in the vein of their MAG than SOCOM? I wonder why they switched perspective.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By handlas

bought it myself. If anyone wants to team up.

Off topic (kinda). Anyone have a problem with the Vita where you start downloading something and it goes to sleep. When you come back you see that your download is still going but it basically paused when it fell asleep. Only happens occasionally it seems to me.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Sooperspy

Looks fun and has pretty good graphics, but I am sadly not in possession of a PS Vita. I do plan on getting one at some point, though.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By darkfury

Does it have the gyroscope fine tune aiming that Uncharted GA has? I think that is one of the best design innovations to have emerged in a long time.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Just an update, got my copy on release day from Amazon, have made it through about 8 of the missions. Would have done more, but I've been going back and re-doing them to get a 5 star rating. The missions so far range anywhere from 10-30 minutes in length per, also depending on how you approach them. There is some variation in environments, there's at least one night club mission, some outdoor, Middle Eastern type of stuff, like they've shown in videos, and some night time stuff running around in a city. I'm having a great time with it, it's not going to win GotY or anything, but for people who want the system to be something they can pick up, play a game in bite-sized chunks and put down again, I think Zipper did a great job in that regard. Haven't tried the coop yet, but I'll get there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.