UE3 Based games

#1 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

Why do so many of them look like they made a game out of DM Deck17? Enslaved and Mirrors edge are the only two that seem to stand out as not being based on the classic UT map.

#2 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Batman 
Borderlands 
Mass Effect  
Mortal Kombat 

They're there, but yes I agree that a lot of them look similar.
#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

This is an interesting, well articulated criticism that no one has ever lobbied about Unreal Engine games before.

#4 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" Why do so many of them look like they made a game out of DM Deck17? Enslaved and Mirrors edge are the only two that seem to stand out as not being based on the classic UT map. "

Hi Zidd, you make a very interesting point, I think a lot of modern Unreal based games can look pretty similar to each other.

How did you come to think they look like Unreal 2004? I'd like to work with you on this one, because it's been some time since I've played UT 2004, tell us in your own words, or better yet show us some images of DM-Deck 17 so the forum community can better understand and maybe align themselves with your opinion.
#5 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -
@Alexander:   Stylistically not literally. What I'm saying is that Most UE games look like rusted out spaceships.
#6 Edited by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
#7 Posted by csl316 (8111 posts) -

BioShock made pretty good use of it, I'd still say.

#8 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -
@Zidd: Have any examples? We could list ones that don't all day, but can't really say much else unless you tell us what exactly you're talking about.
#9 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Driadon:  I believe he is trying to make a point about games made by epic and gearbox, and to a lesser extent space marine games made by lesser known developers that are based on UE3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.