Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unreal Engine 4

Concept »

The fourth major iteration of the Unreal Engine from Epic Games. This engine is said to only be suitable for the 8th generation of video game consoles and PC hardware, though it is scalable to a variety of older platforms and mobile.

Fortnite is Epic Games’ First Unreal Engine 4 Game

• 66 results
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Subjugation

PC exclusive? Those are two words you don't often see paired together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The game to first show off the capabilities of the Unreal Engine 4 is a Minecraft inspired game?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By alternate

Epic has to make games with UE4 first so it can sucker lazy devs in to licensing it.

Since new console hardware is still a while off they are starting with PC games.

UE4 is clearly designed to run on consoles as Epic has made a ton of money off of UE3 and most devs seem to love it (Denis Dyack excepted).

Cthulad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Cthulad

I'm just glad it's not Unreal Tournament 4, or something cheesy like that.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By scarace360

@Humanity said:

@scarace360 said:

@Vodun said:

PC exclusive? What the whaaaat? Next thing you'll be telling me is they're changing their name back to Epic Mega Games and releasing a new Jazz Jackrabbit.

They should release a new jazz jackrabbit and it should be a launch title for a console.

Only they should make it super dark, and Jazz has to drink blood to stay alive and theres dismemberment and also a lot of mysterious crystal collecting. Kids love vampires these days right????

Ya kids love vampires. Maybe he can shoot blood kids like that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Ravenlight

@Sooty said:

Epic making a PC game? WHAT THE HELL?

Maybe there actually is something to those Mayan prophecies.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By arkasai

@buckybit said:

Did I read that right? PC EXCLUSIVE??

... finally, somebody recognizes why I bought a quadcore and DX11 card over a year ago.

Too bad, I will need a hexacore and two new DX(12?!) cards next year?

All the demos they've showed ran on a single Nvidia GTX680. I'm much more intimidated by the thought of running Metro Last Light or that Star Wars game really.

dcsears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By dcsears

Let's be serious, PC peoples. Don't get too excited when he says's PC Exclusive and the possibility of other platforms later. He really means PC and next gen consoles, but he just isn't allowed to say that yet.

If the PC version has 100% controller support (I would bet money that it will), that will be your first clue.

synesthesik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By synesthesik

I think it's really cool that Epic decided to go with this art style for the debut of the UE4 engine.

For one thing, the engine is less about pushing polygons and more about the blueprint of game design in a general sense, so it makes sense to debut UE4 in this sort of "tower defense" or Minecraft style game. However, the engine will still push an impressive number of polys and it will undoubtedly be very impressive to look at, but that's not the focus of the engine. I'm extremely interested in playing this game and seeing it being played, but I'm even MORE interested in modding this game because I think UE4 will (theoretically) allow for extremely in-depth alteration of the maps, characters, visuals, etc.

It's nice to see Epic doing something outside of the gritty, dark, bloody art style, especially with the first game utilizing their brand new pride and joy, UE4. It's also nice to see Epic going PC exclusive, at least until the next-generation of consoles are released from Sony and Microsoft. I have a hard time believing that Epic will keep this a PC exclusive considering their close relationship with Microsoft and their criticism of sales figures concerning Unreal Tournament (3?) on PC relative to Gears of War on console. I believe those comments were made sometime in 2008, much to the chagrin of PC gamers. All of that being said, I believe the superior version of this game, due to progressively higher end hardware and modding, will be the PC version.

I'm extremely excited about this game. Right now it's up there with The Last of Us, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, and Watch Dogs as far as my anticipation of it goes.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Dan_CiTi

>Color

>Unreal / Epic

mind = blown

unholyone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By unholyone123

@buckybit said:

Did I read that right? PC EXCLUSIVE??

... finally, somebody recognizes why I bought a quadcore and DX11 card over a year ago.

Too bad, I will need a hexacore and two new DX(12?!) cards next year?

"...but designer Cliff Bleszinski has already said that doesn’t mean it’s a PC exclusive forever." Hey there's always 2014 right?

unholyone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By unholyone123

@Th3_James said:

Unreal Fortress 2

Unreal Fortress 2: Tournament Fighter Edition: The Twelve Half-Lives

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Otacon

I don't understand the complaints about the graphics, sure some models don't look as highly detailed as others, but the lighting in some of those shots looks amazing and I really like the art design. Plus, an engine is more than just graphics people. This sounds really fun, shame rapidly aging computer will probably never be able to run it.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By banishedsoul1

to be honest i thought unreal 3 looks pretty bad. I did not think unreal 4 looks that amazing. Had some cool looking effects but when games come out they wont look that good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CummingsTerrence said:

my friend's mother made $263164 so far just working on the laptop for a few hours.

Seems legit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

What better way to show off the impressive power house that is the Unreal Engine 4 than by producing a game that could be done in any engine released in the last 5 years?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I don't think that just because this has a cartoony look that means it's ripping off TF2, in that case TF2 ripped off Windwaker.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.