Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unreal Engine 4

Concept »

The fourth major iteration of the Unreal Engine from Epic Games. This engine is said to only be suitable for the 8th generation of video game consoles and PC hardware, though it is scalable to a variety of older platforms and mobile.

Unreal Engine 4 Developer Walkthrough

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Schmollian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MOvfn1p92_8

This looks absolutely incredible. 1 million particles in a room? Craziness! The subtlety of the light bouncing off of materials is cool, and the illuminated particles has to be the most realistic looking thing I have ever seen in a real time environment.

The tool set itself looks absolutely incredible with the easy to use, sort of jump in jump out sort of thing. Now I am not a coder or programmer, but I have dabbled in complicated level editors and script editors. To see all of these changes being done on the fly makes me think that this will change the way developers will make games, and more importantly, the speed at which they make them.

Cool stuff!

PS: Dynamic lens flare 0_0

PSS: Here is the actual tech demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OZmRt8gCsC0

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

I think the particle effects look really good, but the lens flare is not really something I care for. I have never noticed any lens flare in real life, so I don't know why my character in the game would. And the program it's all running inside is very similar to the CryEngine sandbox. Even the flowgraphs are there.

I don't think we as consumers will gain anything from shorter development times though except maybe more day one DLC.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Dixavd

@Jack268: Quicker development time does drastically lower costs (from people not having to be woring on it as long, and less people overall needing to work on it as less people have access to the same job since they don't need two people - one to test it in real-time in game, and another to change the assets at the same time; they can now be the same person) meaning that next gen doesn't have to be as big of a difference in the price of games as it was from the PS2 to PS3 for instance (as they only have to pay 75 people the salary of one year instead of 100 employees the salary of two years for instance).

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By benpicko

@Jack268 said:

I think the particle effects look really good, but the lens flare is not really something I care for. I have never noticed any lens flare in real life, so I don't know why my character in the game would. And the program it's all running inside is very similar to the CryEngine sandbox. Even the flowgraphs are there.

I don't think we as consumers will gain anything from shorter development times though except maybe more day one DLC.

Lens flare is there for cinematic purposes, I'm guessing.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By Danteveli

this looks pretty sweet but after that star wars, final fantasy and watch dogs stuff it looks like we will have competition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.