This game is MASSIVELY under-rated

#1 Posted by s10129107 (1193 posts) -

I recently booted up my PC version, lost 4 hours without realizing it and had a ton of fun. I really don't understand why so few people play it. I understand its an updated version of 2k4, but 2k4 came out a LONG time ago and really doesnt stand up anymore. I just wish there were more people playing.

Ironically, it also felt unique and new up against all the other shooters that are out there. I thought it was funny how those old wrung out mechanics arent found anywhere anymore. I really don't think theyre antiquated. I don't know why games like this arent made anymore.

#2 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2477 posts) -
@s10129107 said:

I understand its an updated version of 2k4, but 2k4 came out a LONG time ago and really doesnt stand up anymore.

Graphically, perhaps. But from a gameplay perspective 2k4 is clearly superior. I would even argue that the focus on graphics is what ultimately ruined U3 as a game. Another great example is Nexuiz.
#3 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

Yeah I remember enjoying 2k4 more. Hell, I thought the original was the best.

#4 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

I played it on the PS3 and it was O.....K. I remember before it was released I was really hyped about it. It had its fun moments but it was nothing special. Hell I had more fun with UC2 L. Conflict on the original xbox.

#5 Posted by HadesTimes (826 posts) -

The game is great, just remember when it came out PCs weren't what they are now.

#6 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

I've tried to get through the campaign multiple times, but it always got too tedious so I always stopped.

#7 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

@NTM: I think the campaign was more for training purposes, get you ready for the online play.

#8 Posted by TheHBK (5553 posts) -

@NTM said:

I've tried to get through the campaign multiple times, but it always got too tedious so I always stopped.

You played an Unreal Tournament for the campaign?

Well I have to say the game is a ton of fun. It is just dumb fun you can say. Nothing real special but it is just a good game that provides great fast gameplay in modes and maps that are just great. People expect too much out of games to provide some kind of revolution each time. Unreal Tournament is like what my mom always tells me about jeans. Pants come and go in fashion, but jeans are always gonna be in style. Unreal Tournament is a classic, in all its forms.

#9 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

@GoofyGoober: @TheHBK: I know that. Also, I wasn't saying the game was boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.