Suddenly B-Movie Tower Defense!

#1 Posted by Kordesh (222 posts) -

Anyone else get this? The game seems to have just dropped out of nowhere and I saw it on Steam today. I was ready to dismiss it, but then I saw terrible costumes. I'm not sure how the tower defense stuff itself is going to hold up, but the B-movie FMV stuff looks fantastic. The orbital placement of towers looks like it could be interesting, I'm just worried as to how often you're going to have to spin the orbits around to keep up with enemies. If it becomes too frantic I could see it getting tedious.

#2 Posted by ZHabermann (94 posts) -

Whoa! Another tower defense game!! Great!!!

#3 Posted by Kordesh (222 posts) -

@ZHabermann said:

Whoa! Another tower defense game!! Great!!!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Done to death. I've played the first few stages though and it's been pretty entertaining. The rotation mechanic is neat (you spin orbits which move your placed turrets around) but I'm not so much a fan of the new "asteroid" mechanic that I just ran into (asteroids randomly fly around the map and have a chance to impact satellites/planets/enemies and damage them.) I lost a medal on one of the levels because one of those stupid things managed to graze the planet. They don't add a ton, they're just a pain to deal with on top of the enemies.

That's my other gripe at the moment. The missions (at least the story ones) seem to have a very specific, almost puzzle-like, placement of turrets that it's expecting if you want any chance of actually completing it without just barely squeeking by. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for experimentation to the point where the first two turrets you place can screw up the whole flow.

The little B-Movie FMVs at the start and end of each level have been entertaining, but the actual tower defense tries something new but makes for a bit of a more frustrating experience than you go in expecting. Doesn't appear to be a way to view those FMVs outside of the missions either which was disappointing.

#4 Posted by Neezie (118 posts) -

@Kordesh: I feel the same way, I was kind of enjoying the gameplay up until the asteroids came into the mix and they got way too annoying, they pretty much destroy a tower in one hit and appear to hit randomly. The FMV sequences are great, I think I'm going to put the game down to easy just to see all the FMV parts.

#5 Posted by Kordesh (222 posts) -

@Neezie said:

@Kordesh: I feel the same way, I was kind of enjoying the gameplay up until the asteroids came into the mix and they got way too annoying, they pretty much destroy a tower in one hit and appear to hit randomly. The FMV sequences are great, I think I'm going to put the game down to easy just to see all the FMV parts.

Actually, after playing a bit more, it seems that the asteroids thing is more or less exclusive to that one stage. Just happened to have stopped for a break after that one. Overall still enjoying it, and looks like its starting to get not quite so tight on the placement/timing as it goes on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.