Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Until Dawn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 25, 2015

In this PlayStation 4 horror game, eight teenagers are being hunted while they stay at a mountain retreat.

Reviews coming in - apparently it's not terrible!

• 64 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Review scores are starting to hit for this game that looks like Sony is sending out to die (I've seen next to zero push for it online or in stores). It's getting high praise for looking amazing, having actual meaningful choices and reasons to go back and replay it over and over thanks to the branching story line. I might pick this up for my girlfriend who loves horror to play over the weekend before I vanish off to Metal Gear land.

Kotaku - Yes (reviewed by some upstart called Patrick Klepek)

Venture Beat - 90/100

Videogamer - 8/10

The Verge - no score but a favourable review.

Daily Dot - 3/5

Gamespot - 8/10

Push Square - 8/10

Jim Sterling - 9.5/10

Polygon - 6.5

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Awesome! I have just enough in my ps wallet, and I've been looking for something to use it on. I just hope it's not too much like the David Cage games.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is excellent news! As excited as I am for this, I was fully expecting it to bomb spectacularly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

That's a nice surprise, though there's too much coming out for me to add this to the list so soon, so it's going to have to wait a little while longer for my money. But that it actually may get it in the first place is unexpected.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

Interesting, i've never heard of this game. Just looked on amazon and it's a retail game?

Damn, Sony is giving this the Rachet and Clank treatment marketing wise.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

Really (pleasantly) surprised that this is good. Maybe a more Halloween-timed release would have helped though.
    Then again that's always a busy time for video games.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Polygon - 6.5

I'm excited even if playing this means sentencing myself to a few weeks of insomnia. Every criticism I've read has been about things that I already experienced and had no problems with playing games like Heavy Rain, so this should be right up my alley outside of being scary.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Seems like a cool game to play through with my girlfriend. I'll pick it up once more reviewers I trust give this game a firm thumbs up.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmm ill wait and see, all the reviewers listed im dubious off.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By sammo21

I really want to play it but its coming out at a terrible time, honestly. Had they managed to release it a month or two ago I would have bought it day one. Now it will have to wait until its on sale or something.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really want to try this now, but I just don't have the time

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Really want to support the dev and get this, but with MGS 5 coming next week, I don't think I wanna spend another $60 on this as well. Will probably wait til it goes down to about $30.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I was planning to pick it up when it was a PS3 game without Hayden Panettiere....so now with a much higher profile (sorry folks this thing HAS been talked about even if you didn't know about it) I'll pick it up.

As for when it is coming, well October would be perfect for Halloween...except Yes, lets at least consider that Halloween is when the ONSLAUGHT of fall/holiday games start to show up and ist not a holiday outside of North AMerica for cross promotion. Send it off 'now' has the advantage that few things are showing up anywhere, and not much like it is showing up, but send it off in mid-October and it would have gotten lost.

Also, how do you advertise a serial killer/slasher game on the side of a bus or beyond a banner ad on a website? This game will live or die on word of mouth just like a movie or this type, and it IS getting good so word of mouth. Sony is not putting it out to die, they are giving it the level of support it needs while avoiding a TON of bullshit with their slasher game being connected to anything real. Sony cannot be plastering Hayden Panettiere with a knife at her throat on billboards across major cities...even if they thought that level of spending would help - which it wouldn't.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I read Patrick's review and now I'd consider picking this game up when it inevitably reaches $20 given how little marketing it seems to have gotten.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that rating from Jim Sterling seems high praise indeed given his love/hate relationship with David Cage games. "Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade."

Why the hell does it have to come out so close to MGS5 and Mad Max though? Holy shit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It looks genuinely interesting so I'm glad they got rewarded for creativity with good scores. Let's just hope it sells well, we need more games that do something new and interesting.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear!

I (like many people apparently) Completely forgot this game even existed. I didn't even know what the gameplay was like until today.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I'm still going with "Polygon rated this like shit? It MUST be good!"

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polygon gave it a 6.5 eh?

So it's probably pretty good right? 2015's shaping up to be one of the best years in gaming history.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I like how one of the complaints in the Polygon review is ''Until Dawn's cast mostly breaks down into recognizable horror film clichés.'' I mean, that's the point. That's one of the core tenants of the game, to embrace silly slasher movie cliches and tropes.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust
    joetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks really cool. If only I had a PS4 to play it on. No chance of it coming to anything else. Maybe in a few years then.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

So glad to hear this! I'm definitely picking this one up, but unfortunately I won't have time to play this until I'm done with The Witcher 3.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lucifer

I have said it before, but the schlock'y slasher horror genre is the perfect fit for video games trying to be interactive movies.

I don't mind video games trying to take themselves seriously and tastefully; but that is a hard thing to nail with multiple outcomes available. This though? Oh boy, Until Dawn just seems like the perfect party game. Grab a couple of beers and have you and your friends scream down each-others throats on what to do next. I mean how many times haven't you gotten irritated at stupid teenagers hiding in the closets when they should be jumping out the window? Can't wait to play this.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was quite worried for a while because this game looks like it could have turned out to be a real shitfest, but not only can I put my fears to rest, apparently most people seem to unanimously agree that it's pretty fucking stellar game. Not the best game of the year, but great nonetheless. Guess that's one more game to pick up this year!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I didn't really intend to buy it, but those reviews changed my mind. I'm still going to wait, considering it's $80 in Canada right now and I've got plenty on my hands with Mad Max, MGSV and finally Witcher 3 after my GTX 980 ti gets here.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why didn't they release this in July or even early August when there was absolutely nothing coming out? I would totally buy this if MGS wasn't out so soon.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

How come I never knew this game existed? This seems like something that's exactly what I want out of a slasher-themed video game.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: The first line of Kollar's review makes me feel like he missed the point. 6.5 isn't a bad score by any means but I can't help but think as I read the review that it's coming from a place of misunderstanding what the game was trying to accomplish. (Which I actually doubt it is)

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well shit now I don't feel bad about dropping the 60 bucks on a pre order. Looking forward to checking it out.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Putting my Vita settlement money to good use on this.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NeoCalypso

For anyone curious about this game. Mary Kish is planning on streaming this game from 12 till Dawn in about 4 hours from this post.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It comes out... tomorrow? Where the fuck was the marketing? The Order was hyped up more than this!

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearing about some of the playthroughs makes me worried, sounds like there will be a major change in the way it plays from what we have seen so far, but yeah the whole teen slasher thing it sounds like they have made perfectly it's the end part that makes me worried, but I will have to see myself.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For anyone curious about this game. Mary Kish is planning on streaming this game from 12 till Dawn in about 4 hours from this post.

I don't think I am interested in this game...but I do think I'm interested in seeing Mary Kish play it.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JohnTunoku

Wasn't interested in this till I saw Polygon gave it a low score. A shame Sony didn't really try to advertise this game.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: you got the payout from that ? I haven't seen anything about it since I filed my claim.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spoonman671

@skullpanda1: It probably depends on how you chose to be reimbursed. They just started doing it today and I happened to get an email with a PSN code for $25 in PS Store money. I suspect this is the easiest method for them, and thus the first put into action.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jesus_phish: who is this Patrick Kelpek ? and why is he getting paid to review games also happy to hear this, UD is only behind MGS as most anticitpated games left this year

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I JUST heard about this game a few days ago, and it sounds REALLY interesting. I'm glad it's getting good reviews.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad there are more games i want to get this year or i might have checked this out. I enjoyed indigo prophecy and beyond 2 souls A LOT so this type of gameplay/story telling appeals to me. Not a huge horror fan though

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh. A Polygon review that entirely misses the points of games. Weird. Can't wait to play this game either this week or ignore it until after Metal Gear.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesushammer said:

Oh. A Polygon review that entirely misses the points of games. Weird. Can't wait to play this game either this week or ignore it until after Metal Gear.

Wasn't interested in this till I saw Polygon gave it a low score. A shame Sony didn't really try to advertise this game.

I think I'm in the same boat as you guys, if Polygon says red I know that means blue.

From giving Batman AK a perfect score to Witcher 3 just being a pretty "good" game they have a pretty specific idea of what they want from games.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Really glad this seems to have turned out good. I thought it seemed interesting, but was worried about it. Partially because Supermassive Games made that horrible Doctor Who game, and not much else. Looking forward to playing some Until Dawn when it shows up from Gamefly.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well! Apparently "not terrible" is actually selling it short. That's cool.

The premise always seemed interesting, but all the demos I've seen of it were never particularly outstanding.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching this Gamespot stream, this performance capture is fantastic. There has to have been a ton of work put into this game. It seems really strange that there has been no marketing for a game that conceivably must have cost a shit ton to make.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cronus42: I think game companies are honestly starting to realize that big marketing campaigns are hurting them more than helping. It seems they are letting YouTube and word of mouth do it for them.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been interesting, the marketing was non-existent on TV, on PSN or in big game stores, but retail chains have been marketing this game non-stop for the last 3 weeks on their TV walls. Every 7 mins I got to see the trailer for this. Reminds me of a David Cage wet dream.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.