Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vagrant Story

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 10, 2000

Elite Riskbreaker Ashley Riot tracks the bloodstained trail of a mysterious cult leader through the mystical city of Lea Monde, in this cult classic action-tactical-RPG hybrid from Squaresoft.

Bootleg Encyclopedia Bombastica: Vagrant Story (ps1)

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It was time to brush up on my spoken English skills and I had also been looking an excuse to play some more Vagrant Story. I planned to play it a little in order to find a good place to show everything the game has offer, however I got hooked and had to play it trough again. After multiple recordings of me just stumbling fatally on my words, having too long silences, mic cables breaking and weird audio sync issues creeping up from nowhere – I finally managed to produce something:

Hopefully the video manages to convince you to try this game (it is awesome) and make it even more of a cult hit (so we might have a chance of getting Vagrant Story 2). Those who find my voice to be terrible and worst thing ever, after 24:11 I will shut up and let the fantastic intro play out without me uttering a word.

In one of the scrapped recordings I did mention how environments are nice and varied, but forgot that in the
    In one of the scrapped recordings I did mention how environments are nice and varied, but forgot that in the "good" take.

If you have opinions how I could improve the video, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Ps. If you are still on the fence about playing this game, my tagline for it would be: "Demon's Souls for the PS1 meets MGS."

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

At first I thought this was going to be about a Bootleg version of Vagrant Story called Vagrant Strory.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulquiokani: No, just some hobo juice hampering with my typing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Good on you, Vagrant Story happens to be the best game ever made. Dark Souls (and to a lesser extent Demon's Souls) is very much what I would envision VS being in a modern context though it doesn't quite have the brutality of realizing you're doing 0 damage to a boss nor the insatiable impossibility of getting a 30 chain. The MGS elements are extremely light though they do add to the depth of this game which is deeper than every other RPG ever.

VS2 might never happen but Souls clones galore are in the future, maybe one of them will randomly have a deep crafting system, a combo system, a risk system, an HP based damage ability set, an MP based damage ability set, incredibly good AI, the hardest last boss ever, and areas that get more difficult if you go into them with very little HP... Nah.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I am OK with all of that in the VS2, but that game better not have that one vertical room with lizardman and two almost unreachable imps casting silence, paralysis and poison (plus first save point after almost 30 minutes of gameplay).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know that game! It's quite good!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Here's how to tell is jakob187 will definitively show up in a thread:

1. Did someone mention Vagrant Story?

2. Is @fredchuckdave making an appearance in the thread because Vagrant Story was mentioned?

3. Did someone mention Vagrant Story?

Goddamn. This game is still awesome. I finally picked up ANOTHER copy (my sixth to own) about two months ago, and it's still awesome. The combo system, the weapon synthesis system, the affinity system, the Parasite-Eve-green-bubble-of-wireframe-doom combat system, the exploration, the story, the nuance and the subtlety in all of the themes within the story, the characters, the graphics, the fact that you have to beat the fucking game three times in order to get 100% map completion...

Yep. Still the greatest game ever made, hands down.

Good on ya for visiting this gem of the PS1 era. Now you know what it feels like to play the greatest game ever. Also, that goddamn Hand of Light in your picture... LOVED THAT FUCKING THING!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@charlie_victor_bravo: Well just spam Rending Gale (the sword break art with unbelievable range) if you have unreachable enemies; or follow the all-encompassing rule of VS: "Always have a crossbow, because boxes are a motherfucker." Note: Rending Gale also does quite well in the Grissom/Dark Knight fight with ol' pal Sydney (standing on the elevated corners).

That particular room might lock behind you so this may not work there but if you get hit with a status ailment right when you walk in a room you can just leave and come back and attempt to avoid getting hit by it the next time. Enemies attacks have specific ranges (except for Bloody Sin) though they're hidden from you so you just learn those over time and capitalize on the moment to attack. In Valkyrie Profile 2, another ridiculously good game, the attack ranges are shown to you which makes it a bit easier.

@jakob187: Well for my part I just have the soundtrack, guide (recently acquired) and a physical copy of the game, does my digital copy count 5 times since it's on 4 or 5 different things? Also this thread's actually in the Vagrant Story forum, time to get that post count up!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.