Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Franchise »

A military tactical RPG franchise from Sega, the spiritual successor to their Sakura Wars series.

V For Victory

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By eroticfishcake
    No Caption Provided

Valkyria Chronicles came to be a surprise hit in back in 2008 when SEGA gave us a turn-based, strategy, Japanese role-playing game on the PS3. General reception was very high with many praising it's interesting mix of genres and beautiful aesthetics. Unfortunately it title didn't sell very well despite the high scores it received and so it's sequels where reduced to the PSP platform, an even smaller audience before it's third sequel, didn't even get a Western release. From past history it would seem that it would forever be lost to the rich archives as SEGA release another terrible Sonic game internationally. But SEGA once more surprised us when they decided to release the original title to Steam, which is apparently an excellent port for the most part (which is even more surprising given how ports of Japanese games go.) Furthermore, a group of freelance translators (the Gallian Liberation Front) have released another update to the translation patch for Valkyria Chronicles 3 which I've just recently finished just shy of 90 hours.

Having immensely enjoyed all three titles it's kind of a wonder why many haven't played the titles due it's aforementioned excellent gameplay, attractive aesthetics and story driven narrative about many an interesting subjects regarding war, camaraderie and friendship. What I find most interesting about Valkyria Chronicles is that it is essentially a World War 2 game. That's sounds perfectly normal but this is a WW2 game developed and published by a Japanese company and given Japan's history at the period it does give an interesting angle to it's existence.

It's Europa! It's Anime Europe! It's Europanime!
    It's Europa! It's Anime Europe! It's Europanime!

The general set up is set in a fictional 1930's Europe, called Europa. The war is waged by two major world powers, the Atlantic Federation (most likely a representation of the Allied powers) and the Autocratic East Europan Imperial Alliance (commonly referred to as the "The Empire" and very obviously based on Nazi Germany) over the precious resource, Ragnite, a sort of magical mineral that can be used in harnessing power, provide healing or weapons manufacturing. In all three games you fight for the country of Gallia, a neutral nation also rich in Ragnite as it defends itself from the invading Empire hungry for it's rich deposits of the mineral. But those aren't the only targets in this war for the Empire are also actively hunting and killing Darcsens, a race of dark haired humans heavily discriminated everywhere as they are blamed for causing the Darcsen Calamity, a conflict which destroyed many lives and cities all over the continent.

They're totally not Nazis. They're um...Not-zis, yes that's it.
    They're totally not Nazis. They're um...Not-zis, yes that's it.

Already we can see that strong resemblance and inspiration of World War 2. One wonders if the fictionalised version of World War 2 is a deliberate choice on SEGA's part as a means of sidestepping Japan's own actions during the conflict (though at no point does the series makes any allusions to it.) Did they have any plans at any point? Did they try only to be denied by the higher ups? In some ways I can't entirely blame them for not trying to address the issues as Chinese-Japanese relations have always been rather tense to this day unlike Europe where such matters of the war are openly talked about and accepted as fact. Japanese nationals and extremists have been known to commonly claim atrocities caused by Japanese soldiers in China as either highly exaggerated or straight up denied they ever happened becoming a sort of Asian equivalent of Holocaust deniers despite overwhelming evidence purporting so. For SEGA to bring more attention to the atrocities would have likely annoyed many back home. Such is the reason why I find the world of Valkyria Chronicles so interesting as a Japanese game or any medium addressing World War 2 in a serious sense is relatively uncommon.

Generally speaking, the Empire as considered the "bad guys" in the series with their motive to slaughter the Darcsens and aggressively take over nations for their Ragnite deposits. Valkyria Chronicles is however, an anti-war game. Despite the actions of the Empire, every side of the conflict has their dark side be it the Atlantic Federation or even those within Gallia. Even those wishing peace must stand up and fight against it's attackers but everyone on all sides have things they lose from family, friends and countries. The sentiment shows in the game play as all the characters in your squad are expendable (at least, only in the first game.) Each and every one of them has a unique back story, voice actor, potentials (which can aid or hinder combat effectiveness) and have friends within the squad that they like. As you play along with them, developing them individually and fighting battles together it's hard not to grow attached to almost all of them. But should they fall in battle, they're gone for the rest of the game. Naturally, there is an incentive to keep them alive as well as the fact that losing soldiers means losing combat effectiveness as they can't be replaced.

Cutscenes are sometimes handled via a visual novel format.
    Cutscenes are sometimes handled via a visual novel format.

If any of this sounds familiar chances are pretty good that you've played an X-COM game before, another turn-based, strategy series that many often make comparisons to (though I personally think Jagged Allliance is a better fit given how similar that game handles it's characters.) I don't know if the developers were inspired by these games but they certainly handle the genre better than any game I know. After all, you're not tied to a grid system and when using weapons you're allowed to take manual aim before firing off the shot. It's a good balance of handling player skill while still maintaining some random number generation (this entire system referred to as the BLiTZ System or "Battle of Live Tactical Zones".) It feels very fair, organic, and fast paced. A problem that often stops me from playing games of a similar genre in the long term.

The tactical view and control mode effortlessly switch between each other.
    The tactical view and control mode effortlessly switch between each other.

The series also benefits from a class system. Each character is assigned a different role from Scouts with their high movement ability to Lancers, a slow lumbering class that carries anti-armour weaponry. What's really elegant however is how they handle overall progression. Instead of individually levelling each character you level up the character classes and research new weapons that become standard issue so even soldiers that are rarely used can still benefit from your battles. The sequels do add individual skill levels that require investing but they still retain the global experience you get from training character classes. It's a very streamlined system that fixes a lot of problems with RPGs and considering the large cast it's almost essential to enjoying it.

That isn't to say the series is perfect. Being a JRPG is does suffer from anime clichés and occasional tonal dissonance. It's certainly not the worst offender out there but there are one or two scenes in which you can't help but roll your eyes at. Most of the characters are very young as well as they range from their early teens to early twenties (somewhat justified by the fact that Gallia has conscription starting at the age of 16.) Even Valkyria Chronicles 2 takes place in a high school setting, something that Japanese anime/manga has an obsession with when it comes to youth and school life (it's actually a Militia Academy but for their intents and purposes it might as well be a high school.) Regardless, the writing for the most part is enjoyable without getting too ham-fisted in it's anti-war sentiment and in it's characters.

There's plenty of information and feedback to help you in battle.
    There's plenty of information and feedback to help you in battle.

That aside, if you haven't noticed the screenshots by now, Valkyria Chronicles is a beautiful series thanks to the CANVAS Engine with it's watercolour painting aesthetics. It compliments the storybook motif that original has with it's idyllic view on a fictional Europe or the raging conflict with gunfire and weapons sounding off with a visual "RATTA TATTA" and "BOOM!" that is highly reminiscent comic books. It looks gorgeous and it looks better in motion. Sadly, the PSP sequels lose much of the engine's fidelities due to power differences but it does try to retain it's aesthetics with reasonable success.

The PSP sequels suffer from smaller maps and weaker presentaion but still play largely the same, arguably better even.
    The PSP sequels suffer from smaller maps and weaker presentaion but still play largely the same, arguably better even.

All in all it's still a wonder to me why the series hasn't sold so well despite high praise in almost all of it's aspects. Despite moving onto a smaller install base of the PSP they've still scored very well (but not sold enough apparently.) Still, with the recent surprise port of the original onto the PC and SEGA's being more active in the PC space one can hope that it can gain more momentum and spark interest in the series. While unlikely, it'll be amazing if they were to localise and port the PSP sequels to PC or any other platform really. In any case, the original is now on Steam and unsurprisingly I can't recommend you hard enough that you go and play it, even more so that the PC port is better version of the original PS3 version with it's 60 FPS, better resolution settings and other bells and whistles. It is after all, one of the more interesting, beautiful and memorable series I've encountered in a long time and I'd love to see more. Be it another sequel, an RTS in the universe (Relic Entertainment and Creative Assembly are owned by SEGA so HINT HINT LADS) or even a Crimson Skies sort of game.

Have I mentioned the soundtrack yet? It's great!

(Considering that I rarely post here some of the older members might be wondering why I am and to answer that I'm on the ol' Twitterverse a lot so find me there if you need me or if you just want to hurl abuse, whatever floats your boat.)

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bargainben

I couldn't get over how the game seemed hard for reasons beyond my control, like poor hit detection. Lancing a giant tank and the aim is all lined up and it appears to hit the turret, but for some reason it doesn't. Its just arbitrary, and then the whole thing snowballs and I lost but I don't feel like I know what I did wrong. I feel like some random shitty hit detection thing happened and I have to hope it won't happen again when I try once more. I just couldn't get over some poorly executed things on the mechanical level. Nice looking game though, interesting sort of "there are good and bad people on every side" type stuff in there although some of the bad guys were a bit caricature. I liked how even the hired expendable soldiers were able to show their individual personality traits.

I'd say I want another one but really anything that's not Skies of Arcadia 2 from that company is time that could be better spent.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I couldn't get over how the game seemed hard for reasons beyond my control, like poor hit detection. Lancing a giant tank and the aim is all lined up and it appears to hit the turret, but for some reason it doesn't. Its just arbitrary, and then the whole thing snowballs and I lost but I don't feel like I know what I did wrong. I feel like some random shitty hit detection thing happened and I have to hope it won't happen again when I try once more. I just couldn't get over some poorly executed things on the mechanical level. Nice looking game though, interesting sort of "there are good and bad people on every side" type stuff in there although some of the bad guys were a bit caricature. I liked how even the hired expendable soldiers were able to show their individual personality traits.

The icon changes color if the center of your aiming reticule will land a hit. But much like X-Com or Fallout, whether the shot lands center of somewhere else in the circle is all RNG.

There's no hit detection, just percentage chances.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

This isn't about Peace Walker at all!

His name is Hot Coldman, how great is that?
    His name is Hot Coldman, how great is that?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben: That's interesting considering that I rarely had problems with it. Then again I've always prioritised accuracy in the training and weapons for my soldiers since it's the most RNG-ey part of the game. You can't fully eliminate it but you can shift the risk to your advantage in a number of ways. Sorry to hear it didn't work so well for you I guess. For the record, I always, always aim for the head or radiators. Going for the critical hits really make a difference I feel.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben: That's interesting considering that I rarely had problems with it. Then again I've always prioritised accuracy in the training and weapons for my soldiers since it's the most RNG-ey part of the game. You can't fully eliminate it but you can shift the risk to your advantage in a number of ways. Sorry to hear it didn't work so well for you I guess. For the record, I always, always aim for the head or radiators. Going for the critical hits really make a difference I feel.

It was mostly boss tank fights where this issue came to bear. I had no problem with the general aiming mechanics.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the game mostly it was fantastic. The art and music are great, the gameplay is solid. The side cast, while some are underdeveloped, are by and large pretty entertaining. Really I wish we had another full scale console game done in this vein.

Only problem with the first game is towards the end everyone starts tossing the idiot ball about:

"Should I use my massive powers to destroy that supertank at relatively little cost?" "No of course not! You are more than a weapon!"

Said Super Tank goes on to plow through the capital causing untold costs in property damage and probably massive loss of life.

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't all get tried for war crimes for not stopping that.

"Hey villain, you look pretty beat up! I'm just going to grab you and your volatile super weaponry and jump into this volatile super weapon!"

He was already beat Faldio, you dragging him down in a big sacrifice just made the tank blow up and endanger everyone pointlessly at the end.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Huh? I thought everyone knew that Valkyria Chronicles 2 & 3 was not "reduced" onto PSP with a consequence of a smaller fan-base, but because it was a larger fan-base on the PSP to begin with. VC1 sold more in Japan during its first week of release than it did in its entire first month of its US release.

And what do you do when something is more popular in Japan than the USA? At a time when the great PSP Monster Hunter boom was at its height? You move it onto the more popular console! It's just good business strategy on Sega's part.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Hey @eroticfishcake! Nice seeing ya! Never played the game, and probably never will, but it's nice to see you again.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Kind of a yes and no really. Developing for the PSP is cheaper than a full fledged PS3 game and considering the larger popularity of the PSP (or just handheld devices) in Japan in comparison to the West it made sense for for SEGA. I still think they're great games for sure it's just a shame that it relocated to less powerful and arguably, less common hardware, at least in the West.

@jeust: Hey man, nice to see you too! I'm not on the forums often as you know but I still come to the site a lot. You on Twitter/tumblr/wordpress by any chance? I'm more active on those spaces so throw us a link if you are.

@pierre42: Yeah I largely enjoy the writing but there are spots here and there that make you guffaw or roll your eyes a bit. Still, it's not that stupid in comparison to other anime games which is kinda saying a lot I guess.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By FLStyle

@eroticfishcake: Screw the West. Release it where it's being bought on the console that's most popular in that territory.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT, GIANT BOMB... I had posted a pretty lengthy response, only the site went and ate the bloody thing up...

So basically, I hated the story and the writing; loved the gameplay; wished the balance of story and gameplay was more like XCOM; I'm excited for Code Name: Steam; fuck Leon the mechanic; cool to see you on here writing again. Fin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.