Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Did I just get ripped off???

Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
    deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I've been thinking about buying valkyria chronicles for a while.  I read on a lot of posts that the game was $30 so I decided to buy it.  After going to 3 gamestops, I finally found a used copy but it was $54.  I bought it anyway because I really want to play it.  But it seems like about a month ago it really was $30.  Did the price go back up or is my gamestop full of assholes?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, the price is $30 according to the store's website, but it is $55 used, which is typical because they don't usually lower the used price in these types of sales. So, yeah, you sort of got ripped off but it is still a good game!

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By raven_squad

Yes and no. You could have gotten it cheaper, but the game is worth so much more! 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Really, your question deserves two answers.  Yes, Gamestop's pricing department personnel are assholes.

Second answer.  Did you get ripped off?  Well, maybe.  It's really going to depend on how much you enjoy the game.  Personally, I spent about $50 on it and I was pleased with my purchase.  However, it can be a brutally difficult game to play, especially without a guide, and it's definitely not for everyone.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By inkeiren

My suggestion would be to buy online in the future. The only instance in which going to the store seems to be the right option is when you are anticipating a game and have to get it the day it's released or there is a game you want to get for a special deal (black friday etc.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow...why the hell is a used copy $25 more than a new copy. Im an idiot!   Thanks anyways guys

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

You could have gotten it brand new for quite a bit cheaper online.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JJOR64

The Used price is more because this game is part of the Gamers Day Clearance Sale they are having.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By VWGTI

That sucks, dude.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Luke
    Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Big_D

The only person who got ripped off is the publisher because you didn't buy a new copy. That money doesn't go to them and they have no clue that you actually bought it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big_D said:
    "The only person who got ripped off is the publisher because you didn't buy a new copy. That money doesn't go to them and they have no clue that you actually bought it. "
    Actually I did intend to purchase it new to support them because of their low sales.  But I couldn't find a new copy anywhere.  All I found was one used copy so I just got it.  I probably should have just purchased it online.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ninjakiller

Yeah, buy stuff online.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Gamestop'd

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @bolsita_de_te: Considering you should never give Gamestop money, yes you got severely ripped off.

Looking at the game itself though, it's easily worth a full price purchase, so if you look at it that way, you got a deal.

But really though, don't give Gamestop money.  There's only 100 other options available for buying games.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By uniform

I realize this thread is very old, but I just thought I'd contribute my experience. I'm about as late as it gets to the VC party, but I recently purchased this off ebay for 27 dollars. I prefer to purchase my games offline, without having to go through the hassle of transferring money to my paypal account. I checked a total of 11 video game specialty stores in my surrounding area, including gamestop, and they all implied the same thing. You will NOT find this game in stores. One gamestop owner told me he hadn't seen it since it was new 2 years ago. Now I'm used to hearing this as I did when I tried to purchase copies of Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2, Disgaea 1 & 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, Xenogears etc etc, but a "not that old" PS3 game? Did they print 500 copies of this in North America? 

This is the first current gen title I've had this experience with, so it kind of took me by surprise. Also, I'm having a blast, and would have paid 70+ for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.