Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Help on choosing starting troops

mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mark2000

Could someone provide me a general strategy for all maps when it comes to your starting troops? For the most part, I normally start with this roster:

- 2 scouts
    - 1 engineer
    - 1 Lancer
    - 1 Sniper
    - 3 Shocktroopers

For the shocktroopers, I always assign one as backup for each scout and sniper. 

I'm not trying for Rank A runs or anything. I just need a good strategy that will prevent anyone of my soldiers from getting killed.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

That's similar to my basic roster. However what units to use and where to place them depends entirely on the map you are fighting on and just boils down to trial and error. Generally speaking I use people that like each other and pair them together for bonuses, stay behind cover, and take the high ground whenever possible. Also, I always kept an engineer with my tank since if that blows up it's game over.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Generally you will take more scouts and shocktroopers than any other unit. Specifically which troops you should take though is going to depend on the map. A few more tips:

• Always take Rosie, Alicia, and Largo since you'll get an extra command point for each of them.
    • Don't take more than one engineer, and always keep it close to the Edelweiss (it might be appropriate to take two on some of the later maps, but early on stick with just one)
    • Keep your units behind cover. Also, don't forget that you can pretty effectively use your tank as cover for your other units.
    • Try to choose units that will perform well in the map's particular environment (desert, forest, city, etc.). Also attempt to choose units that like each other and keep them grouped together in combat.
    • On maps with multiple command points, it can often be easier and quicker to make slower units like snipers and lancers retreat at the base closest to them and then call them in as  reinforcement at the forward base.
    • Don't forget to research advanced equipment. Also, make sure that your troops always have the best equipment available. In general, I would say don't bother using the enemy equipment that you obtain since it tends to be too inaccurate, but definitely use all of the royal equipment that you're rewarded with later in the game.
    • Don't be drops some troops to try out new recruits. Some troops are definitely better than others and unless you experiment some you might completely miss them.
    • Do plenty of skirmish battles to level up your troops.
    mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mark2000

Thank you for the very useful replies. I'll keep those helpful hints in mind. I've since stopped using shocktroopers for offense because their APs are just too limited and I find them to be better at pinning down bottlenecks.

@Chaser324 said:

"Don't take more than one engineer, and always keep it close to the Edelweiss (it might be appropriate to take two on some of the later maps, but early on stick with just one)"

While having only one is helpful because of the extra troop slot, I also found it helpful to pair an engineer for each of my two scouts for offensive maneuvers.  Their decent AP is enough to keep up with scouts plus their ammo refilling abilities allow me to constantly spam the scouts' grenade launchers. Attacking enemies is also not much of a problem because of their long range rifles. All it takes is either making combo attacks with their scout partner for a sure kill or using the scout first to force the enemy to look the other way so my engineer can close in safely for a grenade throw although I only use the later tactic if I'm dealing with crouched shocktroopers and my scout had already used his grenade launcher during his turn. Enemy scouts are just too weak at doing interceptions so I don't worry about them too much.

Now as much as I like the game, there are two things about it that honestly annoy the hell out of me. First: more than once have I lost a trooper or the entire mission altogether simply because one of my troops got stuck on freaking geometry and totally screwed up my whole plan. Second: some story missions are just too linear that I had to rely on trial-and-error just to formulate that one plan to win at the mission which is why I spend more time playing skirmishes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.