Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Loving Valkyria Chronicles...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

SEGA doesn't make any sense - EVER!

I don't get SEGA. For once, they got a unique, soulful and fun game, yet they fail to market it properly. Such a niche game has to be brought to the widest possible audience. It would do SEGA all kinds of good, to release this gem on every platform, not just the PS3. Valkyria Chronicles reminds of the SEGA of old, which had all the 'cool' games, back in the 16bit Genesis era, especially when it came to RPGs.

I'm sure, SEGA'd sell a lot more of it, if it had been released on both consoles and PC too. It's been too long, that I played a good SEGA game, which reminds me of how awesome SEGA once was.

P.S. and what the fuck's the deal with Valkyria Chronicles 2 being a PSP exclusive? I'm glad I've picked up a PS3. I would have missed this gem otherwise - but I'm not gonna pick up a PSP ever. I really hope they come to their senses and bring it to PS 3 too, at the very least.

SEGA!!! W.T.F.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

I think Valkyria Chronicles is a niche game for a reason. I know a handful of people that are way into it, but the majority of my friends and acquaintances couldn't handle the (for our, or perhaps just my taste) overblown exposition in the (again, in my opinion) tediously long and unavoidable cut scenes. The game was good, but not good enough for me to watch four "episodes" worth of cut scenes before I got to a new scenario.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I thought the game was fun, pretty and streamlined. I found the story alright partially because it's just WW2 (which I've heard so much about being a history student) and it's got a lot of cliches that most JRPGs have. Still, it's unique and fun so it's one of my favourite's out of my (small) PS3 collection.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

I found the anime presentation to be pretty troubling.

Also, it's kinda about WW2 but tanks in WW2 didn't actually have weird glowy blue engines in their back so... it wasn't WW2 either? That's just rather insulting in a way.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli
    @End_Boss said:

" I think Valkyria Chronicles is a niche game for a reason. I know a handful of people that are way into it, but the majority of my friends and acquaintances couldn't handle the (for our, or perhaps just my taste) overblown exposition in the (again, in my opinion) tediously long and unavoidable cut scenes. The game was good, but not good enough for me to watch four "episodes" worth of cut scenes before I got to a new scenario. "

I guess it comes down, if you enjoy anime or not. For an anime enthusiast, the game's cut-scenes are just an additional reason to love the game even more. 

You can hit the 'Start' to skip them entirely, if you want to.

Also, opposite to how I felt about MGS 4, I found the cutscenes to be fairly straight forward and the characters to be well written. Yeah - the game is niche, but it's a lot less niche, than it's presentation would make you think. It doesn't feel alien, like most japanese games do. It's rather relatable.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By End_Boss
    @Seppli: Yeah, hitting start is an option, I suppose, but it's still a bummer to have to view them at all. There's a lot of menu surfing involved in that game.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " I found the anime presentation to be pretty troubling.  Also, it's kinda about WW2 but tanks in WW2 didn't actually have weird glowy blue engines in their back so... it wasn't WW2 either? That's just rather insulting in a way. "
    Woot? The setting is similar to WWII, but it's clearly not depicting the real thing. How's that insulting? And what the hell's wrong with glowy blue engines on tanks? It's an anime-styled tactical JRPG - not Medal of Honor, Call of Duty or whatever...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " I found the anime presentation to be pretty troubling.  Also, it's kinda about WW2 but tanks in WW2 didn't actually have weird glowy blue engines in their back so... it wasn't WW2 either? That's just rather insulting in a way. "
    The setting, war, and factions use World War II as sort of an inspiration, but it's not actually World War II.  No one in the game ever calls it World War II, and the main villain bears no resemblance to Hitler.  Frankly, that cruddy game Damnation had a more direct connection to the American Civil War than Valkyria Chronicles ever had to World War II.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

They were probably thinking of Japanese customers when they made Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP, but yes it is extremely shortsighted.  VC1 is amazing, I've never heard anyone who actually played the game complain about it.  It's just a shame that few people bought it, happens all too often with great games these days.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I still really want to buy VC after I played the demo. I had so much fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.