Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Never Before Did a Tactical RPG Make me feel like a Badass!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Just beat Jaeger in Chapter 17.

After one harsh defeat, which I quite honestly deserved, I took him down in my second attempt.

In my first attempt, I was too timid. I took 3 of his 4 camps, but never had the balls to seize the moment. He wore me down with endless waves of reinforcement. Finally - he used his smoke grenade offensivly to deal me a final blow. I lost 2 out of the 3 camps I held. One of the camps was well guarded by Vyse, Aika and Dallas, who were safely in cover behind sandbags. They have taken out countless of waves of attackers at this point. I didn't see his cocky use of the smokegrenade coming. I thought, those three were invincible. I was wrong. The next round, my troops in shambles, I had used up most of my CP to call in reinforcement. A lancer got through to my basecamp and the fight was lost.

Round 2. It began similarly. I swiftly took 2 of his camps. Then, when he went for my basecamp with his tank, Regent Lupus, I cut him off with my Edelweiss. I took my very first couple of shots at him. His exhaust was perfectly shielded by thick armor plating. After two shots, I realized, that there was no way, I'd get through his armor. At this point, I was open to 2 anti-tank emplacements and a heavy tank. I had to change my approach or I was doomed. There was but one way to save the day. To rock out with my cock out.

I sent Rosie into the heavily guarded camp in the middle of the map. She took 3 guys out with one burst from her flamethrower attachement, then went on to destroy the AT-emplacement and finally captured the camp. I didn't manage to do that in the previous attempt. Mainly, because I didn't dare to try. I used up the little CP (Command Points) I had left over, to set up an assault on his final camp in the next turn and that's what I did. In two rounds, I took out all his footsoldiers, emplacements and tanks, as well as captured his last two camps. All he had left, was a named shocktrooper, Tyo the Immortal (or so), who hid in an alleyway. He's one of the guys, who dogde every attack from the front and take little damage from AoE (Area of Effect) damage. To be safe, that Jaeger's last footsie won't piss in my cup and sneakily take over my basecamp, I had to take him out. I sent Aika and Vyse after him (all love for 'Skies of Arcadia'), my go-to guys for difficult missions. Aika cought his attention with a riflegrenade. Vyse stealthily snuck up on him from behind and incinerated that coward with a well-placed blast from his flamethrower. Now, mighty Jaeger was left all alone. I tore him apart with my lancers, while I kept Edelweiss and Shamrock at a safe distance. The big man went down like a wet sack of dirty laundry.

Valkyria Chronicles is the first tactical JRPG, which made me feel like a badass. No other tactical JRPG has ever done that for me and I've played plenty of 'em. Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts - you name it. Valkyria Chronicles is hands-down the best tactical JRPG, with the most relatable and well written characters and story, stunningly beautiful graphics, sounds and music and perfectly designed, diverse and challenging leveldesign, I've ever played.

If you like tactical JRPGs, anime or a good and heartfelt story with sympathic and well written characters, then wait no more! Buy it! Play it! Love it! If you can't deal with slower paced, more methodical games and lots of storytelling - then this is not for you.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cadmus

Yup!  Valkyria Chronicles is thee game that restored my faith in the japanese rpg.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

Same here. I feel like giving the genre another try. Like picking up Lost Odyssey or something. But I guess, most JRPGs would still leave me dissappointed. I better wait for the next game, which actually looks fun to play. Too bad, they are so few and far between. I really hope Valkyria Chronicles 2 will come to PS3 too. I won't pick up a PSP just to play a game. I'm not into handheld gaming.

The next JRPG I will play for sure, is Final Fantasy 13. I just can't help myself. Since FF 6 (aka 3), which I love dearly and have played for hundreds of hours back in the day, I've picked 'em all up and came out of 'em disappointed. I wonder if Square will ever peak higher, than it did back in the SNES era. I hope so.  Always did. Never happend though. Shame.

Hopefully SEGA will keep on producing JRPGs. They were really good at making them (Shining Force etc.) and they still are, as Valkyria Chronicles proves impressively. If only it sell some more.

Buy it guys! Please! I want more SEGA JRPGs.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MrGetBonus

Valkyria Chronicles 2 goin to PSP makes me rage. But yeah I was surprised how good that game is.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By matthew

I still want to get this game . . . I'll put it on the buy list for after the semester ends...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @Matthew said:
    " I still want to get this game . . . I'll put it on the buy list for after the semester ends... "
    I'll hold you to it!

Also, don't forget to put aside some time too. It's quite the long game. I'm about 40h in. Tomorrow I'll tackle the finale. There must be a playable epilog too, because I still got quite some stuff to unlock. I bet there is some hardmode playthrough+ to tackle too, if you are that kind of guy.

Big game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.