Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

No overworld?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Plugged this in since I haven't played a JRPG since Eternal Sonata so I was going to give this a whirl. Having played through the first chapter the storybook style seems "interesting" but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. Is there any sort of traditional overworld to this game? Towns, talking to dudes etc? Or is it pretty much cutscene-battle-cutscene?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

There's no overworld but you can go back to base to upgrade troops and things like that.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FlyingRat

I don't think Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG, man...

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By andrela
    @EvilNiGHTS said:
    " is it pretty much cutscene-battle-cutscene? "
    Played it for 4-5 hours and up til then it was. Really need to get back to it.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Hamz
    @EvilNiGHTS: Pretty much most of the game is cutscene-battle-stats-cutscene
    vstag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By vstag

It is just cutscreen, battle cutscreen.  You do have iteams and guns and stuff to mess around with, but no towns or NPC to walk around in and talk to.  I loved the game, but if your looking for that type of stuff its not there.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Cwaff

Not really an RPG but damn awesome game... I should finish it.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Okay, what's the length of it like? I might still play through it if it's not too long. I have a few other rpgs still in the shrink-wrap assuming the desire to play one after VC is still there.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

This is a strategy RPG so you should think of games along the lines of Fire Emblem or FF Tactics for a point of reference, as opposed to Eternal Sonata or any other JRPG.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By mowgers

Calling it cutscene-battle-cutscene is a bit unfair, if technically accurate. It's episodic, the main gameplay portion being the big fight scene of each episode. You still shop, upgrade, level up and go off on optional 'sidequests', it's just abstracted a bit instead of wandering around a town. 

I should probably go back and finish it...

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilNiGHTS
    @Spoonman671:  Yeah I know, but even in Shining Force you could wander a bit. I guess it's too early to say at the moment.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Pie

I should finish this game... 
    I played 5 or so missions but couldn't take the cut scenes any longer 

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@EvilNiGHTS: You'll get to the point where you can level up your troops, and buy items and equip stuff, as well as a few other things, but it's all menu based. The game is fairly lengthy though, and there is a lot more to do than you might at first think.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Gaff
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell It's not that lon... OH HI GIANT TANK AND VALKYRIE!!

Damn it, I was stuck on that mission for so long...
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Djeffers03

Nope there's no overworld. I really liked the gameplay in VC but I fucking sucked. I played on easy and have yet to get past the battle in the desert where you fight that BIG-ASS tank.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @Gaff said:
    " @MasterOfPenguins_Zell It's not that lon... OH HI GIANT TANK AND VALKYRIE!! Damn it, I was stuck on that mission for so long... "
    That mission catches everyone off guard.

Anyway, there's no need for an overworld in Valkyria Chronicles.  The menus are all organized well enough that it's not hard to organize the troops and head into battle.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By ESREVER

I wonder what the ratio for people who have completed the game vs people who gave up on the game. And then a ratio for people who gave up, and people who gave up fighting the giant tank and Selvaria. Lol... 

Seriously though, this is my favorite game from this gen. I'm so glad I finished it. 

There are 18 playable chapters I believe (excluding side missions) but 19 chapters altogether. I don't understand how people are complaining about the cut-scenes in this game. They were absolutely gorgeous. Maybe yall are just referring to the dialog window scenes. Which I thought they were handled pretty well versus other JRPGs conversations.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cloudenvy

Oh, Valkyria Chronicles...Haven't thought about that game in a while. 

Definitely  favorite RPG this generation. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hitchenson

I played the demo for this for the first time the other day, seemed pretty cool. I intend to buy a whole bunch of PS3 games that I've missed out on getting when I get paid, this will be one for sure.  

Weird considering I generally dislike the whole JRPG/anime thing.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Catolf
    @ESREVER said:
    " I wonder what the ratio for people who have completed the game vs people who gave up on the game. And then a ratio for people who gave up, and people who gave up fighting the giant tank and Selvaria. Lol...  Seriously though, this is my favorite game from this gen. I'm so glad I finished it.  There are 18 playable chapters I believe (excluding side missions) but 19 chapters altogether. I don't understand how people are complaining about the cut-scenes in this game. They were absolutely gorgeous. Maybe yall are just referring to the dialog window scenes. Which I thought they were handled pretty well versus other JRPGs conversations. "
    I have just arrived to that part of the game actually, i heard it's pretty hard so I've been playing Phoenix Wright (finishing up) and Fire Emblem until I can pump myself to do that fight XD
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilTwin
    @ESREVER said:
    "I don't understand how people are complaining about the cut-scenes in this game. They were absolutely gorgeous. Maybe yall are just referring to the dialog window scenes. Which I thought they were handled pretty well versus other JRPGs conversations. "
    I don't think people are referring to the style, but rather what takes place during the cutscenes.  It's all very anime in a way that I would call familiar if not cliche.  And some of the dialogue is laughably bad.  Aside from all of that, though, I loved the game.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By frankxiv
    @ESREVER said:
    " I wonder what the ratio for people who have completed the game vs people who gave up on the game. And then a ratio for people who gave up, and people who gave up fighting the giant tank and Selvaria. Lol...  Seriously though, this is my favorite game from this gen. I'm so glad I finished it.  There are 18 playable chapters I believe (excluding side missions) but 19 chapters altogether. I don't understand how people are complaining about the cut-scenes in this game. They were absolutely gorgeous. Maybe yall are just referring to the dialog window scenes. Which I thought they were handled pretty well versus other JRPGs conversations. "
    i got up to 11 before i stopped. it wasn't even particularly hard or anything i just had other games i wanted to play. and when i heard there were only 18 chapters i figured i'd slow way the hell down on it. since then valkyria 2 has come out and 3 was announced for psp so i should probably give up on wanting more and just finish it.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raviolisumo

@onimonkii said:

" @ESREVER said:
    i got up to 11 before i stopped. it wasn't even particularly hard or anything i just had other games i wanted to play. and when i heard there were only 18 chapters i figured i'd slow way the hell down on it. since then valkyria 2 has come out and 3 was announced for psp so i should probably give up on wanting more and just finish it. "
    I got to the timed mission and stopped (Think it was mission 5?). I can't stand missions with that hard of a limit, I know the the missions have turn limits, but not like the one I'm talking about.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ESREVER
    @Catolf: It's a pretty intimidating battle. 
    I recommend putting all the units that have CP out on the field and put them in a safe place, out of the action. Put some Engies and Lancers on the field, and a sniper to take care of the dudes on the ridge. 
    Be sure the lancers and engies are in cover and use them to take out the turrets on the tank. 

When Selvaria comes and rapes everyone, I suggest using the Edelweiss as a shield/barrier to keep Selvaria from moving/shooting your units. After that, you just want to keep your lancers in cover and only reveal themselves to shoot. Other than that, you just need to make efficient use of you CP commands and retreat for particular units. That's how I went about it and was able to come out of the battle without losing a single unit.

It's been awhile since that battle, so that may not all be correct. But it should point you in the right direction about how to handle the situation. 

Good luck!
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ESREVER
    @Wes899 said:
    "  @onimonkii said:
    I got to the timed mission and stopped (Think it was mission 5?). I can't stand missions with that hard of a limit, I know the the missions have turn limits, but not like the one I'm talking about. "
    I don't recall any of the missions being on a physical countdown timer. I just looked back through a walk through of the missions and none of the "Ways to Fail" objectives say anything about a timer. There are a lot of missions where you can't let your camp fall into the enemy hands, and what not. I believe that was the mission where you have a showdown with the Tank Commander for the first time.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Catolf
    @ESREVER:  Thanks for the bit of advice, all I was told was to keep my units away from her and focus on everything else, i've used my tank as a shield several times with an Engie up it's ass XD Sounds like this battle will be a battle of a lifetime for me XD
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raviolisumo
    @ESREVER said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    "  @onimonkii said:
    I got to the timed mission and stopped (Think it was mission 5?). I can't stand missions with that hard of a limit, I know the the missions have turn limits, but not like the one I'm talking about. "
    I don't recall any of the missions being on a physical countdown timer. I just looked back through a walk through of the missions and none of the "Ways to Fail" objectives say anything about a timer. There are a lot of missions where you can't let your camp fall into the enemy hands, and what not. I believe that was the mission where you have a showdown with the Tank Commander for the first time. "
    My apologies, I should've written in a clearer way. The mission I'm talking about specifically is the desert one in which you are pitted against that GIANT TANK THING. Sure it's got a turn limit, like all of the others, but for some reason that one just seems more dire/stressful. Could never finish it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.