Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Sega Spills Deets On Valkyria Chronicles' DLC

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Remember Valkyria Chronicles? You know, the nifty watercolor-styled faux-World War II turn-based strategy game for the PS3 that nobody played? OK, it seems like someone must have bought the game, because it's got enough of an installed base now to justify a downloadable content pack, which Sega just announced will be hitting the PlayStation Network next Thursday the 16th for a respectable $4.99.

So what will your five bones get you? Here's the official company line on the contents of the pack.

• Hard EX Mode Fight your way once again through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You’ll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.
    • Edy’s Mission“Enter the Edy Detachment” Six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with their squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.
    • Selvaria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame” Taking place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines, you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer assigned to Selvaria’s troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and see the war play out through the eyes of the enemy.

Sega also put out a ponderous load of DLC screenshots for your perusal.

And if you're one of the many people who still don't know what the game is about, our Quick Look video from a while back will serve as a good primer.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Remember Valkyria Chronicles? You know, the nifty watercolor-styled faux-World War II turn-based strategy game for the PS3 that nobody played? OK, it seems like someone must have bought the game, because it's got enough of an installed base now to justify a downloadable content pack, which Sega just announced will be hitting the PlayStation Network next Thursday the 16th for a respectable $4.99.

So what will your five bones get you? Here's the official company line on the contents of the pack.

• Hard EX Mode Fight your way once again through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You’ll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.
    • Edy’s Mission“Enter the Edy Detachment” Six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with their squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.
    • Selvaria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame” Taking place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines, you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer assigned to Selvaria’s troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and see the war play out through the eyes of the enemy.

Sega also put out a ponderous load of DLC screenshots for your perusal.

And if you're one of the many people who still don't know what the game is about, our Quick Look video from a while back will serve as a good primer.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FCKSNAP

Yep, Buying that sucka. Almost done with the game proper, so I'll be enjoying it soon enough if it requires a cleared game save.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By snide

Dude, 2 new missions? Err... even as a fan I think I'll have to skip.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

Two new missions? Sure. But I don't think Hard EX mode is one of those things they should be charging for.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Its good to see some of these games with sales on the slightly low side getting DLC.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By sloppyjoe

Still playing through for the first time.  That DLC doesn't seem too amazing (though I'm not begging for more), but for 5 bones.. not bad.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio

Just one question can someone answer? Does this game have or will it ever get PS3 trophie support?

Avatar image for jollywhitegiant
    jollywhitegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jollywhitegiant

I'm still plodding way through the story for the first time but I'm enjoying it so... $5 sounds like a decent price to extend the story/experience.  

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By AleeN634

I guess it's worth the price if they're fully voiced but I wish they have a combo option to save a couple of beans.

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By gam3r3OOO

Well this is the same DLC they have had in Japan (I know because I checked their stores a few months ago). I just wish they would add something like more skirmish matches, multiplayer (versus) or co-op. After a while in a game like this all there is to do is to replay the same missions or try them by putting your own restrictions on the match (like not using scouts on all the missions, or not using the tank, etc).

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game engine. Its just a shame it doesn't have more value (I beat most of the missions getting an A rank). I look forward to playing those new levels (and hard mode).

LilBew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By LilBew

ooo ya cant wait this is goin to be sweet buyin up them 2 mission packs fo show

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

Dude Snide, EX mode hard mode is actually all new missions with new objectives. Might be on the same maps, but the enemy positions (and enemies themselves) are all different. That mode isn't the same level with just buffed up enemies.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

i like the game, but i barely ever play it. my intense ADHD typically favors CoD or RE5, but since i've already played the crap out of those games i think i'll try to beat Valkyria now. ok...concentrate...strategy...

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Coltonio7

This is worth my $5.

Nice to see it being supported!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vorbis

Getting to play as Selvaria with her huge machine gun? yes please.

The first episode of the anime was subbed recently, even if you aren't a fan of anime the storyline follows very closely to the game, even looks the same. Worth a look if you enjoyed the game at all.

Avatar image for numberthirtyone
    numberThirtyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By numberThirtyOne

Best game on the PS3 I've played yet, so definitely getting this.  It's worth it if it just triggers me to play it some more.  I keep wondering, and maybe someone here can tell me, if you don't get the Tank in hard-ex mode, does that also rule out orders?  In the regular campain, if you don't have the Tank, that's the case.  That certainly would increase the strategy element, since you can technically win most of the missions by just buffing up Alicia 'till she's near invincible and sending her in solo.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#17  Edited By rargy

Nice.  I was hoping the poor sales wouldn't effect the decision to release this.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Yzzerdd

THAT ENGINEERS A SPY!!!!!

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By zitosilva

Eh, I'll take my chances with this DLC. I just hope the missions are not short, like those that you can buy from the journalist. The new hard mode doesn't do a lot to me though. I haven't even tackled the game's regular hard mode yet.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coffeesash

Trophy support please! I need an excuse to play through the game again :3

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By suneku

I'm waiting for the price to drop to around 30 dollars or less, or if they add trophies... whichever comes first.

ravncat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravncat

The Selvaria mission includes more than one location and skirmish...
    Still haven`t rightly finished the Edy mission to say if it`s just the one locale or not.
    Haven`t gotten around to trying out hard EX mode yet.

Both add-on missions include all new voice acting and dialogue.

also - it is worth noting that you can/could find this at gamestops gamedays sale for 30 dollars... though i dont know how long that lasts/lasted

I really wish they wouldve had a multiplayer mode to this, that couldve been alot of fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Venatio said:
    "Just one question can someone answer? Does this game have or will it ever get PS3 trophie support?"

ravncat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ravncat

It does not have trophy support. I do not know if it ever will, I have heard no statements saying that it is under development. Sans trophies, it`s still an excellent game.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24

This game is $30 at Gamestop right now. I really should pick it up.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By borgmaster

I still need to finish that game.....damn...

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MeatSim

Nobodies played it because it's a ps3 exclusive.

SoulTaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SoulTaker

Still have to finish this game.  Persona 4 has been taking up all my gaming time.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fbomb

I'm going to have to buy this game. I just completed the first couple of missions in Devil May Cry 4, and am bored. I'm bored half way through Resistance 2, and really don't like its multiplayer, and RE5 is waiting for my buddy from work to fix his PS3 from dropping off of online every 10 minutes. I was looking for some sort of action RPG, or more laid back experience outside of being just another shooter--why are all the big games shooters right now? (Giant generalization, I know). Anyway, I've liked the look of this game since the first time I saw it on Giant Bomb: Quick Look. The DLC can wait, but the I really want this game for the start of my weekend.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By DJ_Lae

I hate defensive missions, but I love Valkyria Chronicles, so I'll be buying this.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Why the hell didnt they put trophy support in, idiots.
    kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kilzombie

ugh crap! I wish i didn't buy the stupid Boost Special pack for burnout, I have no money in my wallet! I wanna get the extra missions, as I've beaten the game already and I wanna go back and play the extra missions. I guess I'll have to wait until I get some PSN cards, but that won't be until May/June time =(

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Media_Master

Still not gonna get it.

Avatar image for numberthirtyone
    numberThirtyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By numberThirtyOne

Dammit, these are $5 apiece?  The news post clearly indicated this was a single $5 pack. >:(

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Maru

This game will be my next purchase soon as I beat MGS 4,

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mamba219

The Selvaria mission pack includes more than one mission.

Though I can't say the same for the Edy one.

If you have to pass one up, I'd say definitely the Edy one, although I personally found it to be a very nail-biting mission.

Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Intrepid

Would someone who has picked up these DLC's please tell me if the packs are fully voiced as well?  I'm considering getting some of the DLC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.