Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

who else really liked the demo?

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By shadows_kill

i got the demo from qore and i thought it would be ok but i was amazed how awesome it is. Its gameplay was definatly different from other games out or being released. I'm now getting it probable shortly after release. Anyone else really like it?

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Nah,I didnt like it =(

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I would love to try out the demo, but I'm not going to pay to play...we in US get screwed on this one.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wuffi

aw its only on qore, it looks sweet tho

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By zhinse

Well, my good sir, i have indeed played that demo. I downloaded Qore just to try it out because i was so curious to how they would do battles. In a word i really liked it. Its being pushed in a season where there are a lot of games though. I really did like the demo, and will now probably end up buying it shortly after release, but there are a few complaints to go with what they did right. 

The presentation seems a bit outdated, and that's probably my biggest concern. Coming from other games where there's more voice acting in every line, and more detail in the enviorment. Hopefully in the full game, they use more urban areas or areas with generally more things in them. I love the art style and the graphics themselves but it has to do more. The use of talking heads, isn't really a bad thing, but it bugged me a bit. 

Minor Gameplay issues i had was that the menu's were a bit slow. Moving a character around felt good but i wished some animations were sped up a bit. 

Now to the things i liked. I really felt that this is the next step in strategy RPGs. I liked turned based, grid based strategy before, but this took it to another level. It wasn't just a gimmick to let you move your character around for a short amount of time like i thought it would be, and the strategy you used mattered more than in most TBS.  I do wish they could speed it up some though, and possibly give a better view than just the over head map when choosing which unit to use next (that really should've been a minimap or something.)
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadows_kill
    Kush said:
    "I would love to try out the demo, but I'm not going to pay to play...we in US get screwed on this one."
    Wuffi said:
    "aw its only on qore, it looks sweet tho"
    its in the US store near the end of the month. so you still get a chance to play.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shadows_kill
    zhinse said:
    "Well, my good sir, i have indeed played that demo. I downloaded Qore just to try it out because i was so curious to how they would do battles. In a word i really liked it. Its being pushed in a season where there are a lot of games though. I really did like the demo, and will now probably end up buying it shortly after release, but there are a few complaints to go with what they did right. 
    The presentation seems a bit outdated, and that's probably my biggest concern. Coming from other games where there's more voice acting in every line, and more detail in the enviorment. Hopefully in the full game, they use more urban areas or areas with generally more things in them. I love the art style and the graphics themselves but it has to do more. The use of talking heads, isn't really a bad thing, but it bugged me a bit. 

Minor Gameplay issues i had was that the menu's were a bit slow. Moving a character around felt good but i wished some animations were sped up a bit. 

Now to the things i liked. I really felt that this is the next step in strategy RPGs. I liked turned based, grid based strategy before, but this took it to another level. It wasn't just a gimmick to let you move your character around for a short amount of time like i thought it would be, and the strategy you used mattered more than in most TBS.  I do wish they could speed it up some though, and possibly give a better view than just the over head map when choosing which unit to use next (that really should've been a minimap or something.)
    "
    yeah i pretty much agree on all of that. i sorta liked the look though it gives a different feel compared to all the other games.

did you like that after the medic came to save some one that you can bring them back into the battle?
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate

I loved the demo - after seeing videos i have been waiting for a demo for aaaaaaaaaages - and when i saw it for downlaod i hit the roof.

I hope the Skirmish mode is there in the full game, just in case you WANT to combat for the sake of it (could see that adding tons of replay value)

Graphics were awesome, as was the cover and fighting system, especially like the auto attacking in range whenever it was the opponents go - it felt like theyd taken alook at FF12's fighting system - which imho was great - but felt a little uninvolving than a zoom in fixed battle - And merged it with a more more traditional rpg system, also the character likes/dislieks of eachother was an interesting addition 

Novemeber cant come quick enough
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush
    shadows_kill said:
    "its in the US store near the end of the month. so you still get a chance to play."
    I still think it's BS that we have to wait at all. I hate this stupid Qore thing.
    AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AaronBelfast

I loved it, honestly. It was a good balance between action and strategy. I'll pick it up whenever I get the chance. I also loved the graphics, I didn't think I would like the art style but I was impressed!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

I'll see how well I like it when the demo is actually released for everyone.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shadows_kill

i just thought that it would be cool to have that skirmish mode be online. yay or nay?

Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bolt3

I really liked it! In the European store it's up for everyone, so if you have an EU account then it's worth checking out.  The graphics and art style are really nice and I'm liking the gameplay, too. Hoping the story is good though.

I think I'm sold!

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shadows_kill
    Bolt3 said:
    "I really liked it! In the European store it's up for everyone, so if you have an EU account then it's worth checking out.  The graphics and art style are really nice and I'm liking the gameplay, too. Hoping the story is good though.

I think I'm sold!"
    yeah they never had/talked about any story in the demo...but the gameplay was good enough.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Kush said:
    "I would love to try out the demo, but I'm not going to pay to play...we in US get screwed on this one."
    huh wtf are you talking about i downloaded it out of the ps store yesterday. didnt have to get qore or anything. 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

It's awesome. Successfully merges RPG with strategy games.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Davvyk

loved it kinda made me feel like i did when i first played advance wars

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar

Ok, just got around to playing the demo and I gotta say, this should be the new FF tactics system. Truely new and unique. What more, it is actually a PS3 exclusive. A hidden gem in my book; Forget Gears or Resistance, this is my most anticipated game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.