Gabe: "We've moved beyond the episodic model". No more Ep3?

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
 http://www.develop-online.net/news/37625/Newell-Weve-moved-beyond-the-episodic-model

Some snippets.

Gabe Newell told Develop that the episodic development philosophy has been replaced wholesale by the ‘games as a service’ model.

The ‘games as a service’ credo is to create games that are platforms in themselves; content that can be rapidly reconstructed through a series of updates.

“For me, ‘entertainment as a service’ is a clear distillation of the episodic content model,” Newell added.

A major factor in the need for reform was the wellbeing of Valve’s developers, Newell said.

Newell revealed to Develop that, throughout the Half-Life 2 project, he became acutely aware of his responsibility to look after his team.

“I’ve become obsessed with this issue now,” he said. 

But Valve is nevertheless moving on. Its new approach is to embed itself in its community of 30 million Steam customers.

The idea is to obtain as much feedback from the community as possible, and in return build entertainment that capitalises on their tastes.

This is not a content creation philosophy limited to games; Valve has made short animations and comics from this approach.

“Team Fortress 2 is the fastest frequency we work on with comparatively fast updates. Er, Half-Life is apparently the slowest! [Laughs] Although, from the outside world, we have no evidence that Half-Life is working on any frequency at all. [Laughs]

So basically this confirms Episode 3 is dead and Half-life 3 seems to be the way they are going to go.
#2 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

I should be happy for HL3, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll spend my life wondering how awesome HL2 ep3 was going to be and wondering what I've missed. I hope they do both (HL2 ep3 can be a pre-order bonus to HL3 or something), but I know that's a bit crazy.

#3 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4816 posts) -

GODDAMN IT!

I do not understand why Valve refuses to even admit that Half-Life Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 exists. I don't want a release date if they won't give one, but just... goddamn, anything would be nice.
#4 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -
@dagas said:
" I should be happy for HL3, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll spend my life wondering how awesome HL2 ep3 was going to be and wondering what I've missed. I hope they do both (HL2 ep3 can be a pre-order bonus to HL3 or something), but I know that's a bit crazy. "
even if they don't release episode 3, half life 3 will obviously continue the story from where episode 2 left off.
#5 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Laketown said:

" @dagas said:

" I should be happy for HL3, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll spend my life wondering how awesome HL2 ep3 was going to be and wondering what I've missed. I hope they do both (HL2 ep3 can be a pre-order bonus to HL3 or something), but I know that's a bit crazy. "
even if they don't release episode 3, half life 3 will obviously continue the story from where episode 2 left off. "
Definitely.  With the way it ended one could say that sort of made Half Life 2 the sequel with a cliff-hanger for them to use to directly jump to Half Life 3.  Even with the way it ended, it felt like there can be much more done before the whole arc can end, so having it be a fully-fledged sequel will probably be the best thing to do to recover from the failed episodic experiment.
#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (6767 posts) -

Well its hope it is is Half Life 3 and a full length game.

#7 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

Honestly it's what I expected,  why waste all this development time on creating another episode when they could be using that time to make Half Life 3.

#8 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@dagas said:

Surely they'll just incorporate the majority of what would have appeared in Ep.3 into HL3? At least, that's what I'd imagine. Obviously, they can't pack in every set piece and story point; it'll have to be adapted into a larger story, given that HL3 is a far bigger concept than Ep.3.

Total speculation!
#9 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Exactly. HL3 cannot come soon enough!

#10 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Called it.

#11 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

This doesn't mean anything, because what they were doing wasn't even an "Episodic model"

"DLC is great because money" is all the man said.

#12 Edited by TwoLines (2811 posts) -

Episode 2 ended in a pretty weird spot. It would be pretty hard to begin HL3's story from where EP2 ended. All of this seems kind of disjointed.

#13 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

It basically just comes to the name and maybe the tech.

#14 Posted by Korolev (1707 posts) -

Yeah I was think that they would go this route - they've taken so long on Episode 3, they've raised expectations so high, that if they release just another stand-alone Episode-long chunk of Half Life, people would inevitably be disappointed. Episode 3 will probably be a full new game with a new engine and a length around that of Half life 2. Or at least, I hope so, because if not, what have they been working on? 

So yes, I have the suspicion that Episode 3 will in fact be Half-Life 3 in all but name, or, it will be released alongside other games like the Orange Box. 
#15 Edited by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

They never had an episodic model. An episodic model is something like Telltale, where you're releasing games on a regular schedule. Valve called their Half-Life 2 sequels episodes, but they aren't really. They're either sequels or standalone expansions, but they're definitely not episodic.

Also, I had assumed that episode 3 was dead a long while ago. They'll be working on Half-Life 3.
#16 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (500 posts) -

I thought most people accepted there was no episode 3 some time last year, and the rest of them came around a few months ago. Sad.

#17 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Where they ever actually on an episodic model?

#18 Posted by mordukai (7151 posts) -

Frankly I am kinda happy about that. Episode 2 was not that good. It had what I call the Wednesday Effect. 

#19 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" Frankly I am kinda happy about that. Episode 2 was not that good. It had what I call the Wednesday Effect.  "
episode 2 was way better than episode 1, that final fight with the striders or w/e was amazing
#20 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

Much to the chagrin of some of my friends, I've never touched a Half-Life game. If I picked up HL1 on the PC, what's the best way to play it? The reason I ask is because I heard awhile ago that there are mods or whatnot that ups the graphical quality of the original game.

Or is it best just to download it from Steam and jump right in?

#21 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

It's been such a while, I don't even remember what happens at the end of ep2. Something about searching for the Borealis and Eli dying? That's all I remember. 

#22 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

That means half life 3 has been started today!

#23 Posted by Shadow (4980 posts) -

I could swear this was announced years ago

#24 Posted by Bones8677 (3246 posts) -

They're moving beyond it because they've failed horribly at it.

#25 Posted by Crash_Happy (708 posts) -

In so many ways, Valve have got it right. Which makes it all the more incredible that they refuse to deliver on the Half-Life franchise. It's the one glaring mistake and they keep making it year after year.

#26 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

MOTHER FUCK! JUST GIVE ME MORE HALF-LIFE GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. Seriously. I have been waiting for this...FOR FAR TOO LONG. Please valve. Just tell us its coming. A teaser trailer. A post on a forum. ANYTHING.

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (11956 posts) -

To be honest, this seemed pretty obvious, without them having to outright state it.

Telltale makes their "model" seem like a joke. Since Half-Life 2: Episode 2s release Telltale have already released more than 30 episodes...

#28 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Does that mean no one in their community is asking for new Half Life games?

#29 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" They're moving beyond it because they've failed horribly at it. "
Yeah as much as I hate to bash Valve because I love them, they really did fail at this. Should have just gone from Half-Life 2 to Half-Life 3. No episodic stuff at all.
#30 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
@dagas said:
They should both be on the same disc, only, EP3 is just 5 minutes, then it cuts to a "to be continued in HL3..." screen. Then it boots up HL3.
It would be even better if all along they just market the EP3 part, and never mention HL3...
#31 Posted by oraknabo (1470 posts) -
@bonorbitz: The Black Mesa mod would probably be the best if they could finish it. There is a remake of 1 on steam called Half-Life:Source that looks better, but still really dated. If you don't get into old games easily, you might just want to jump directly into HL2.
#32 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -
@oraknabo: Thanks for the info. I can get into older games easily, and was wondering what's the most recent rendition of HL1 that I can get my hands on. It sounds like Half-Life: Source is it!
#33 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I think many of us assumed they were moving onto a Half-Life 3 anyway and honestly I think we'd all feel a bit cheated if after all this time, all Valve added to the Half-Life franchise was another episode. Still, it's good to get some proper confirmation on this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.