(RUMOR) Valve working on a console called "Steam Box."

#1 Edited by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Apparently, The Verge got the scoop on a project titled "Steam Box." Essentially this would be a home console that would rival Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. They'd be able to get partners like Activision for the ability to publish games on this system. Basic specs for the system include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The device will be able to play PC games and rival services like EA's Origin. The craziest thing out of this is that it won't require a devkit and will not have licensing fees to create software for the Steam Box. The Steam Box will apparently be unveiled at GDC. Remember that this is a rumor for now, until Valve confirms this. More info can be found here.

So what you do you guys think? Crazy, right?

#2 Posted by Djratchet (668 posts) -

I'd buy it.

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Sounds neat.

#4 Posted by ArcadeHero (70 posts) -

Sounds pretty cool, like a Boxee Box for Steam games.

#5 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

I'd buy it too. I fucking hate installing PC games. I have both The Witcher and Amnesia and can't get them to work. With basic specs, it would be a much smoother process.

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I don't want to be crazy, but this would change everything.

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

What about inputs? Lack of physical media? Offline play? Cool idea, but seems unlikely (happy to be wrong!)

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: For more details, click the link. It has a lot more info on their site.

#9 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Is this literally just a small form factor PC to put next to a TV, or a legit console? I get how that sentence sounds crazy but you know what I mean :P

#10 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Will Episode 3 be a launch game?

#11 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: Possibly a proprietary controller, but either way, the thing would almost definitely have USB inputs for controls, so as not to alienate PC gamers... though most hardcore PC users will stick to their own systems. This could make PC gaming more "casual-friendly" though.

@Brendan said:

Is this literally just a small form factor PC to put next to a TV, or a legit console? I get how that sentence sounds crazy but you know what I mean :P

I think it's the former, basic specs to and gaming-centric to keep installation and graphical settings simple. Maybe they'll release new versions every year or two like most Apple products. I would buy one in a heartbeat, if it's priced halfway decently.

#12 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

No evidence at all? Okay, try again later.

#13 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

I would definitely buy that.

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@gladspooky: It's a rumor. That's how things work. The Verge has some sources that can't be named because of NDA. Believe it or not, but it is believable.

#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

So they're making PCs?

Hopefully all that crazy shit they're doing to it will transfer over to the PC side of things.

#16 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Brendan: A console like the 360. It'll probably play Steam and console games that are published by companies like EA. More info is too come, just a guess for now.

#17 Edited by BoOzak (881 posts) -

I was just saying how this was going to happen the other day ;p

Personally i'm all for it but it all depends on how it's structured, steam has evolved alot over the years but it still isnt perfect. In order for this to work it has to be reasonably priced, support mods, and a M&K. But at that point most people who would be interested in this already own a gaming PC, which has all that and more(except the reasonably priced part). So I dont know who this is intended for. Sounds like it might go the way of On-Live if not handled correctly.

Still though, looking foward to it, if it actually happens that is... Consoles are way too restrictive (compared to PCs at least) and I find the Xbox marketplace discusting ;(

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: This is more than just a PC. This would let Valve have both console games that don't get ported to the PC and Steam games. In other words, Valve would be able to dominate two markets. It'll be easier to make games on the Steam Box as it won't need a devkit or licensing fees.

#19 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

My question is how can a private company afford to do something like this. They would need a lot more capital to pull something of this magnitude off.

I'm not seeing it.

#20 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

That's NEVER going to happen. Mark my words, if this actually is true, I'll eat 1 roll of toilet paper, take pics and upload them to this same forum...

#21 Edited by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

An i7 is total overkill for gaming unless they're using laptop parts. 8GB is also way too much RAM, most games barely break 2GB.  

The only way I can see this coming to fruition is if this whole thing is some sort of a partners program with Dell/Alienware. Like the PlayStation Suite for Android. The SteamBox label would be applied to a manufacturers product if it could be guaranteed it would play every game on Steam.  

Besides, what does Valve know about making consumer electronics? 

#22 Posted by Slag (4001 posts) -

Sounds too awesome to be real, hard to see someone like EA playing ball.

but hey if they pull it off, I'd probably make it my number 1 console.

hope they improve the acehievement system though.

#23 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -
#24 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Claude: Steam is probably the most popular way to buy PC games. They make around 4 billion dollars a year. It doesn't seem that crazy to me.

#25 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Gav47: That's the most likely outcome. Alienware is apparently helping make the Steambox. Read the article for more on it. My summary doesn't show every detail.

#26 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Phatmac said:

Apparently, Vox Games got the scoop on a project titled "Steam Box." Essentially this would be a home console that would rival Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. They'd be able to get partners like EA for the ability to publish games on this system. Basic specs for the system include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The device will be able to play PC games and rival services like EA's Origin. The craziest thing out of this is that it won't require a devkit and will not have licensing fees to create software for the Steam Box. The Steam Box will apparently be unveiled at GDC. Remember that this is a rumor for now, until Valve confirms this. More info can be found here.

So what you do you guys think? Crazy, right?

Why would EA agree to this when they have more or less said fuck you to steam and pulled their games? 
#27 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Should change that, main point is that publishers would be able to publish games on it. EA probably won't play ball at first.

#28 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said: 
Why would EA agree to this when they have more or less said fuck you to steam and pulled their games? 
The article says its more likely to be an affordable PC that is capable of running games with some Steam branding.
#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Gav47 said:
@The_Laughing_Man said: 
The article says its more likely to be an affordable PC that is capable of running games with some Steam branding.
Alienware just did that.  

@Phatmac said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Should change that, main point is that publishers would be able to publish games on it. EA probably won't play ball at first.

The entire BF3 thing not on steam was a pretty big F U to Steam. And again. Where will Steam get this money? I know they make alot of it. But making a console and supporting it  costs a lot. 
#30 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I encourage you guys to read the verge article on this. It helps explain this rumor more.

#31 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah it seems crazy. I think ti'll just be another way to play games with console hardware. Don't know yet, just rumor talk for now.

#32 Posted by Willin (1279 posts) -
@Deusx said:

That's NEVER going to happen. Mark my words, if this actually is true, I'll eat 1 roll of toilet paper, take pics and upload them to this same forum...

I'm writing your name down and saving this post. I WILL follow you up on this if it's true.
#33 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

Valve taking over the world.

#34 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

If true and reasonably priced this sounds like something I'd be into.

#35 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: No they didn't. They launched the X51 but it lacks any kind of Steam branding and isn't endorsed by Valve. It also doesn't come with the controller mention in the article.
#36 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

Sounds cool for people that don't have a powerful PC.

#37 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

It should be called the Steam Station or the SS

#38 Posted by w00master (23 posts) -

It's clear that most of y'all didn't read the article. Here's a key point that most of you (who CLEARLY didn't read the article) are missing:

At a glance that would simply be interesting fodder for a gaming forum debate, but we've uncovered information that suggests that not only has Valve been secretly working on gaming hardware for the living room, but that the company is actively pursuing a strategy which would place Steam at the center of an open gaming universe that mirrors what Google has done with Android. Backing up that concept, in the same interview we quote above, Newell says that Valve doesn't really want to do hardware on its own, stating, "We'd rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do [hardware]. We think it's important enough that if that's what we end up having to do, then that's what we end up having to do."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console

#39 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

If you'r telling me Valve's making a console, I'd imagine it would be the best thing ever. The best of PC with the best of Consoles.....

Sorry, I just envisioned perfection.

#40 Posted by Irvandus (2823 posts) -

@Djratchet said:

I'd buy it.

#41 Posted by Stepside (508 posts) -

Wow, I'd seriously buy that.

#42 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Crazy with a K.

#43 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

This sounds like a great way to get people back into PC gaming. Valve, always bringing the industry forward!

#44 Posted by Andorski (5190 posts) -

One or both of these things will happen:

1. "Steam Box" is actually their initiative to make a Steam interface that is usable for TVs, and this rumor is a product of both exaggerations and things getting lost in translation.
  2. Valve is teaming up with a hardware partner (I doubt it would be a large corporation like Dell or HP; I'd guess a company like Origin - the original guys behind Alienware) to produce a machine not unlike the X51. The PC will be aimed to be used for the living room/television and Valve will leverage this area of the market to get more "console-only" developers to port their games onto their service. Valve will not have financial stake in the product's sales; their commitment will be to levy their brand as a selling point and to have their service preloaded on the machine.

As for Valve actually entering to market with their own console: complete bull. There is no reason for Valve to enter the console race where everyone (Nintendo excluded) releases a product at a loss and hope that licensing fees will keep them above water. Valve's number one goal is simple: to get everyone, both publishers/developers and consumers, onto their digital platform. Making a console would be an extraneous strategy.

#45 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

So this is going to be a fourth console? Yeah, until some story comes out explaining the reasoning behind it, I'm disinclined to believe this.

#46 Posted by Mento (2438 posts) -

Netflix wanting to become a cable channel and Steam wanting to become a console. Weird times. Is regression the in thing for the twenty-doz? Maybe YouTube will start dealing exclusively in VHS tapes next.

Seriously, if they want to build a moderately powerful console that runs anything one might have in their Steam library, that'd be neat, but it'll get soon be outclassed by traditional PCs with their constant state of flux. Not that it hurts other consoles too much, I guess. I'm also hoping this doesn't start a trend of "hot scoopz" from Vox Games that turn out to be unsubstantiated rumors; the author of that article does appear to have done his homework, but it's not a promising precedent to set this early on.

#47 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

That controller reminds me of an EGM article I read about 7 years ago. Well, the interchangeable buttons at least and it was about Nintendo. I scanned a few pics. 

#48 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

So... It's just a pc that runs nothing but Steam?

#49 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

So it's basically a Valve-branded computer that has Steam pre-installed? Not really seeing the benefits here.

#50 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

Sounds like a fantasy I had 2 years ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.