Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

(RUMOR) Valve working on a console called "Steam Box."

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Masha2932

If it means we get steam sales on a home console I'm all for it. Imagine buying $2, $3 games while sitting on your couch.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By KingBroly

This honestly doesn't seem like Valve's style to me.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#53  Edited By Legend

They should call it Steam Engine. :D

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By sirdesmond

I'd buy this in an instant. Even if it was fairly expensive, the money saved on games through Steam would make it totally worthwhile. Make HL3 a launch title with this and they'd make their money back I'm sure (especially if they do like a two-week pre-release for Steam Box owners).

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By bybeach

It's not clicking. PC games progress, it's not static. Steam plays the safe part of this by presenting the games, not selling a device that will actually play them..that's your problem. 

Ones software, ones hardware. Always been problems betwixt the 2, though they so much need each other.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By iam3green

@Claude said:

Will Episode 3 be a launch game?

YES!! they will show the console off but never release it.

sounds good. kind of like what i said above it probably won't' get released. it is also a rumor, maybe it will be something like onlive.

MelficeVKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MelficeVKM

@Legend said:

Godlike name!

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By time allen

seems like a wild shot in the dark to be honest, but i'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By Sooperspy

I would totally buy that.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Seedofpower

@Claude said:

My question is how can a private company afford to do something like this. They would need a lot more capitol to pull something of this magnitude off. I'm not seeing it.

Yeah, I'm also having a hard time grasping why they would? Making something like Onlive doesn't sound like it would be high on Valve's to-do list. Seeing as how I haven't heard great success from Onlive.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By grilledcheez

Sounds super fake (and like I've heard it before A LONG time ago)...but I'd buy the shit out of it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RE_Player1

@Deusx said:

That's NEVER going to happen. Mark my words, if this actually is true, I'll eat 1 roll of toilet paper, take pics and upload them to this same forum...

I will do the same. This is bullshit and anyone falling for it is a fool.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By recroulette

I can't imagine anyone developing games for this that wouldn't work on a PC as well.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Arker101

@msavo said:

@Deusx said:

That's NEVER going to happen. Mark my words, if this actually is true, I'll eat 1 roll of toilet paper, take pics and upload them to this same forum...

I will do the same. This is bullshit and anyone falling for it is a fool.

Of course it'll never happen, it's like Jeff says "Don't be crazy."

But still, in my imagination, it would be so fantastic.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By hugh_jazz

@Phatmac said:

@Claude: Steam is probably the most popular way to buy PC games. They make around 4 billion dollars a year. It doesn't seem that crazy to me.

I'm sorry, they MAKE 4 billion dollars a year? Is that supposed to be a believable estimate? Fact notwithstanding that in that article, Newell actually said what they actually make.

What Valve needs to do is work on a lightweight operating system in order to better leverage existing PC hardware, not make consoles. Especially not a console running a Windows OS, which I'm assuming this would if it could run both Steam and Origin. What's the benefit?

I'm not saying Valve should listen to me and do one thing instead of the other. I'm saying Valve isn't doing this.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By tourgen

I've got a Shuttle case with a i5 & nvidia 560ti, xbox360 wireless controller with the usb receiver, and bluetooth keyboard and mouse. HDMI out to TV, 7.1 optical audio out to the receiver. It wasn't even that expensive. ~$620, which is pretty close to the PS3 when it was released and considered cutting edge.

I've already got the SteamBox. We just need Valve to release a controller-input-only version of their Steam software so I can stow the mouse & keyboard 99% of the time.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Harpell

I'm not saying it's happening, and I'm not saying I even think it's possible...but if anyone was in a position to do this, it'd be Valve.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By M_Shini

So this is a console that would play steam games or all pc games or steam specific made games? idk what i think about it lol but id like to think if valve made a console they would tick all the box's and do all the right things.

Least thats the hope

sasnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By sasnipes

@tourgen said:

I've already got the SteamBox.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By KingBroly

So...if this comes out...it's basically the Phantom, right?

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By hugh_jazz

@KittyMeggerz: The problem is that Steam can run on Mac OSX and Windows operating systems, and the games on Steam work for Windows or both. Since most of the games on Windows use Microsoft proprietary graphics rendering tech the "Steam Box" would need to run Windows in order to run all games. The question then is what the hell this thing is and what makes it different from Alienware computers.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mcfart

Steam is already simple enough. Games don't even install (just software you need to run it, like directx), so the only thing they would do is some steam branded computer that comes preloaded with steam.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By Sin4profit

Saw it coming, they have all the partners for it. The real question is if they'll involve themselves in retail marketing (i'm thinking along the lines of buying games from a kiosk and loading it onto a USB drive to transfer home) If not i dont see it as being too successful as Steam users who would back it are fine with their PC version of Steam and Joe Walmart will either never heard of it or doesnt know what an internet do.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By Milkman

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. Steam already has their own console, it's called the PC.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CaptainCody

I would buy the shit out of that.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Harpell

Lao, if this thing were to be called the "Steam Box", I would have to demand that it be a a steel and copper steampunk monstrosity, with extraneous gears galore. I demand satisfaction as a consumer.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I hope this comes out, if only to put pressure on MS and Sony. I imagine publishers would be on board since it pretty much destroys the used game market.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mortal_sb

exclusive and rumor are two things that don't fit together very well.

and yeah, from the current standpoint it would be more plausible for them to just distribute a software to hardware partners, so you have a pre-installed gaming software on your pc. how big of a impact that would be if most of the new pcs would come with steam installed. in all, "Steam Box" could just be a marketing name like "Intel inside". "With this PC, you can play all the steam games you want".

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#79  Edited By Legend
    @MelficeVKM

@Legend said:

Godlike name!

Thanks, I'm in the process of trademarking it. Then I'll sell it to Valve and make millions of dollars. :D
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By Gizmo

Just give Steam a full-screen controller interface and you have the Steam console.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By valiantgrizzly

DAY ONE BUY

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

So it's a PC. Valve are selling a PC. It's a PC with the primary intent of playing video games on a TV via Steam, but it's still not a console. They may try to market it as a console, but it isn't one. It's Steam in a box. A Steam box. Yeah, that makes sense. Lots of people are put off by the "complexity" of PC gaming with the core PC gaming community talking about building PC's, upgrades and crap like that. Saying "Here is a box. Plug it in, play PC games" could really tap into a market that wouldn't normally think of getting a gaming PC. And valve are the perfect people to market that right. And if they beat Microsoft and Sony to the punch and come out before they release (or maybe even announce) their next consoles, it could be a huge seller. People are craving a new generation. They want improved graphics and a new shiny box in their living room. This would give people that. It could sell well and totally change the face of the gaming market. Man, I'm getting all excited thinking about it. It sounds awesome.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Gizmo

@Claude said:

Will Episode 3 be a launch game?

Oh, shit...

Now, the in-built modding support for Steam starts to make a lot more sense...

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By StrikeALight

@Djratchet said:

I'd buy it.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find this highly useless, but I guess I could see the appeal.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jjnen

@MattyFTM said:

So it's a PC. Valve are selling a PC. It's a PC with the primary intent of playing video games on a TV via Steam, but it's still not a console. They may try to market it as a console, but it isn't one. It's Steam in a box. A Steam box. Yeah, that makes sense. Lots of people are put off by the "complexity" of PC gaming with the core PC gaming community talking about building PC's, upgrades and crap like that. Saying "Here is a box. Plug it in, play PC games" could really tap into a market that wouldn't normally think of getting a gaming PC. And valve are the perfect people to market that right. And if they beat Microsoft and Sony to the punch and come out before they release (or maybe even announce) their next consoles, it could be a huge seller. People are craving a new generation. They want improved graphics and a new shiny box in their living room. This would give people that. It could sell well and totally change the face of the gaming market. Man, I'm getting all excited thinking about it. It sounds awesome.

I could call it console, why couldn't you? Sure, it's a computer but so are the "rest" of the video game systems. Microsoft, Sony and even Nintendo are somewhat backtracking their consoles back to the roots and trying to market them as more than a console (a multimedia device, if you will). They have apps, web browsers, streaming capabilities, etc. - stuff that doesn't fit to the traditional definition of a console. Valve is starting with a PC but the Steam Box going to be designed couch and TV in mind. Interface and other stuff is (probably) going to work fully with a controller. But I think you get my point. It's console based on a PC but it's still console first - that's what it's for.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By CheapPoison

In a way these things surface once in a while... so maybe there is something. but i still think they are bullshit.

Sonti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sonti

It's just a rumor but it's not impossible. Razer was talking about something similar but the problem with Razer is the pricing. If Valve tries to make a more universal PC box setup with a decent price, it could widen the PC gaming audience with its console-like features.

If this is in fact happening, I think Valve is one of the few companies that can pull it off. Another one would be Microsoft but they shot themselves in the foot by distancing Xbox from Windows. Although there are rumors about Xbox 360 integration in Windows 8, it seems to be limited to checking leaderboards, friends etc. and not actually playing console games on Win 8.

Whatever Valve does, they better make sure it does not alienate the normal PC users by having exclusive features on the rumored system. But knowing how smart Valve is, I'm sure they won't do that either. Sounds like they are trying to make a universal PC that is more user-friendly to use for the less tech savvy users, and easier setup to play PC games from your couch (not that it's hard now but it would be even easier).

Although it's just a rumor, it is a brilliant idea. It could be awesome you know... it could be. Especially if it turns out to be "upgradable" like PC's are.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By realph

How awesome would this be? If true, this is likely to give consoles the first big push it needs into the digital era. And who better than Valve to start that revolution, eh? If Valve's work over the years is anything to go by, expect a pricing model for games that isn't offensive. Steam could actually do an Apple here if they play their cards right. By that I mean you could see them take a large share of the industry by offering a desirable platform that delivers content to consumers directly. Think about it, they've already got the infrastructure and customer base in place, à la iTunes Store. They could flip this industry on its head.

And the greatest thing is, Sony and MS would be forced to follow suit to compete in the space. Rethinking pricing models along the way. When you look at stuff like the Mass Effect 2 pricing on PSN, I'm sort of glad Sony and MS aren't leading the line on this one.

And how about this for speculation peeps? Half-Life 3 as a Steam Box launch title, just as HL2 was for Steam.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By Morrow

@Djratchet said:

I'd buy it.

Same here. Although I swore to myself I'd never get a second console, being able to play PC games would really be worth it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By Winternet

I'm going out on a limb and say Valve is teaming up with Google for this. Steam would be only responsible for the games section and Google takes care of the rest.

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Spark

@Rappelsiini said:

I could call it console, why couldn't you? Sure, it's a computer but so are the "rest" of the video game systems. Microsoft, Sony and even Nintendo are somewhat backtracking their consoles back to the roots and trying to market them as more than a console (a multimedia device, if you will). They have apps, web browsers, streaming capabilities, etc. - stuff that doesn't fit to the traditional definition of a console. Valve is starting with a PC but the Steam Box going to be designed couch and TV in mind. Interface and other stuff is (probably) going to work fully with a controller. But I think you get my point. It's console based on a PC but it's still console first - that's what it's for.

It seems to me it's going to be a hybrid, or convergence point of consoles and PCs. Ideally it'll be user friendly and accessible enough to warrant wide appeal, but with the flexability and benefits of PC gaming (sales, mods, graphics, indie games, control options etc). Though according to the article this thing will only play PC games, so you could say it's just an accessible PC, but then we'd all be arguing semantics.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Gruff182

So a Steam branded PC then?

Cool I guess, for those who can't build their own. Providing the price is decent.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By jjnen

@Spark: I like what you're saying. I like you.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So it's a standardised PC rig?

This is what industry analysts have been talking about for a while, so it's great to see Valve actually try and implement this.

Could do wonders for PC gaming.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By BSw

This doesn't sound as outrageous as some here are claiming it to be. It would indeed require a big bag of money, but that's what investors are for. Valve, having Steam, would be the company to be able to get funding for this. Furthermore, the console market - which is the market what they would enter, regardless of whether the machine would be a modified pc or a console - only has three, or arguably two, competitors. If a company is interested in entering this market with a good value proposition and the proper gear to back it up, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to compete. And since Valve has something that has proven to be extremely popular and profitable in the pc gaming market, this could easily be transformed into a value proposition that console gamers are waiting for.

Sure, it requires a lot more thinking than this, but the core idea is really interesting.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Jimbo

So it's a closed-platform, standardised PC? That's effectively what consoles already are at this point.

I already think Valve are too powerful, so it's a "No thank you" from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
    deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually a great idea from Valve. Think about it. Developers are going to love it since they don't have to pay fees to get a kit to create games on it. Gamers will have a standard system that can play most new games on highest setting graphics. Games are heading towards a download only system, and why not have the number one game software distributor online to cut in front of the line first and offer it on a console? Plus this will cut deeper into the evil as I know as Gamestop, and stop all the used game sales for 55 dollars and the developers getting none of the pie. Sounds like a great thing to me. Not to mention the crazy steam sales that happen all the time which would attract potential consumers.

So I'm all on-board for this!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SlasherMan

@Rappelsiini said:

@MattyFTM said:

I think the main difference, at least the way I see it, is that consoles are generally closed platforms while PCs are the opposite. If this thing is real, and it only has the ability to run Steam and play Steam games, then I'd be inclined to agree with you and call it a console. If not, and it turns out it can run everything a PC can and just operate as a regular computer, then I'd just call it a PC.

Whatever the case, I can kind of see where this would fit in the market, but at the same time I'm not sure how big the demand for something like this is. The X51 costs $700, and if we assume that this is similar to that, then I don't see how it's going to appeal to the same audience of people that want their $200-$300 consoles. Then again, if it is just a regular PC in small form factor, people might think of it differently and find the price reasonable. I really don't know what to make of this rumor...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.