Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

(RUMOR) Valve working on a console called "Steam Box."

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hmmm. I might return to pc gaming with this…if true

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Spark

@SlasherMan said:

I think the main difference, at least the way I see it, is that consoles are generally closed platforms while PCs are the opposite. If this thing is real, and it only has the ability to run Steam and play Steam games, then I'd be inclined to agree with you and call it a console. If not, and it turns out it can run everything a PC can and just operate as a regular computer, then I'd just call it a PC.

Whatever the case, I can kind of see where this would fit in the market, but at the same time I'm not sure how big the demand for something like this is. The X51 costs $700, and if we assume that this is similar to that, then I don't see how it's going to appeal to the same audience of people that want their $200-$300 consoles. Then again, if it is just a regular PC in small form factor, people might think of it differently and find the price reasonable. I really don't know what to make of this rumor...

According to the article it'll run services like Origin as well, so I'm assuming it'll just be a pre-configured Windows platform with Steam as the front-end. Hopefully those costs will be subsidized by the software purchases (I think Valve gets a 30% cut from every game sold), since I can't imagine it competing with a price that high, you may as well custom build a PC.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By mandude

Well, it's about time we've had a service that can rival Origin.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By SlasherMan

@Spark said:

@SlasherMan said:

I think the main difference, at least the way I see it, is that consoles are generally closed platforms while PCs are the opposite. If this thing is real, and it only has the ability to run Steam and play Steam games, then I'd be inclined to agree with you and call it a console. If not, and it turns out it can run everything a PC can and just operate as a regular computer, then I'd just call it a PC.

Whatever the case, I can kind of see where this would fit in the market, but at the same time I'm not sure how big the demand for something like this is. The X51 costs $700, and if we assume that this is similar to that, then I don't see how it's going to appeal to the same audience of people that want their $200-$300 consoles. Then again, if it is just a regular PC in small form factor, people might think of it differently and find the price reasonable. I really don't know what to make of this rumor...

According to the article it'll run services like Origin as well, so I'm assuming it'll just be a pre-configured Windows platform with Steam as the front-end. Hopefully those costs will be subsidized by the software purchases (I think Valve gets a 30% cut from every game sold), since I can't imagine it competing with a price that high, you may as well custom build a PC.

I did see that, but considering this is all just a rumor for now, I'm considering all the options. The question is I guess, will this (whatever it is) end up causing an influx of new users that are for the first time introduced to Steam through this move? And just how many new users will they need for this to be worth bothering with in the long run? I mean the big annual sales seem to be doing just fine serving that purpose, with Steam's userbase growing larger and their profits doubling every year. Is this really needed?

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By hwy_61

I would buy the shit out of a Valve console. Shut up and take my money, you magnificent bastards!!

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#106  Edited By xymox

So it's a PC Console? That's the best idea since arcades. Could standardize PC-Gaming if it's successful, people actually developing for that thing and push good frame-rates and quality stuff even for those who don't spend $600 on gfx cards every month.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By Sooty

@Xymox said:

push good frame-rates and quality stuff even for those who don't spend $600 on gfx cards every month.

If you use your brain when buying a graphics card you won't need to upgrade it to play every game maxed out for at least a year, possibly even 2. Even 3 if you don't mind not playing with every possible setting turned up, you'll still get a better framerate and visuals than console so what's the big deal?

I don't understand these people who think PC gamers have to constantly upgrade, that is not even remotely true anymore. You can play the Mass Effect 3 demo maxed out on a graphics card that came out in 2006. (8800GTX) Go figure.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By SlasherMan

@Sooty said:

@Xymox said:

push good frame-rates and quality stuff even for those who don't spend $600 on gfx cards every month.

If you use your brain when buying a graphics card you won't need to upgrade it to play every game maxed out for at least a year, possibly even 2.

I don't understand these people who think PC gamers have to constantly upgrade, that is not even remotely true anymore. You can play the Mass Effect 3 demo maxed out on a graphics card that came out in 2007. Go figure.

I've learned to ignore ignorants. It would probably save you a lot of headache if you do too.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Sooty

@SlasherMan said:

@Sooty said:

@Xymox said:

If you use your brain when buying a graphics card you won't need to upgrade it to play every game maxed out for at least a year, possibly even 2.

I don't understand these people who think PC gamers have to constantly upgrade, that is not even remotely true anymore. You can play the Mass Effect 3 demo maxed out on a graphics card that came out in 2007. Go figure.

I've learned to ignore ignorants. It would probably save you a lot of headache if you do too.

I'm a little better than I used to be!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Wow... If true, this would be groundbreaking and fascinating on so many fucking levels.  
    However, the thought of a future where Valve becomes a console-oriented corporation is really painful.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By endaround

Sounds a lot more like a Steam endorsed PC. Basically like the name "ultrabook" your box performs to certain standards it gets the Steam name on it and maybe a controller.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By xymox

@Sooty said:

@SlasherMan said:

@Sooty said:

@Xymox said:

I'm a little better than I used to be!

Blah, blah, ignorant this ignorant that. I've also learned to ignore this.

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt you can max out Mass Effect 3 with a card from 2007. If you can, good for you and shame on me.

PS: PC gaming is not about using your brain, it's about using your wallet. I'm not saying you can't get stuff playable on a PC if you do a little research. But even then, as time moves on, after a year you go from Ultra settings to Medium, to Low.

I'm saying a standardized PC, that developers can develop for like a console, has a whole lot more potential then the mess PC Gaming is today. Definitely the future of PC Gaming + potential to hit real big in the market.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    It should be called the Steam Station or the SS
    Are you crazy? It's gonna be called the Steam Engine.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By shadows_kill

If it ran all the games on steam it would be pretty awesome.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By xymox

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    It should be called the Steam Station or the SS
    Are you crazy? It's gonna be called the Steam Engine.

This. Can't wait to see the steampunk case-mods for it.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By Tylea002

I have a mac that can barely play any real games. If this is real, it will change my life.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Drebin_893

I really don't see this happening, but am fully prepared to eat my words.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Scooper

@Deusx said:

That's NEVER going to happen. Mark my words, if this actually is true, I'll eat 1 roll of toilet paper, take pics and upload them to this same forum...

I will also do this.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By penguindust

So PC gaming would have yet another platform to compete against? Isn't flexibility and versatility one of the attractions of PC gaming? Wouldn't standardizing, as much economic sense as it makes, remove that incentive?

Also, I'm confused by a few things.

1. The article compares Valve's aspirations to Google's Android and later says they want to compete against Apple's forthcoming remodeled AppleTV, but Android and iOS are distinct operating systems. Game companies build games to run on them or port their products over just as games currently get ported to the 360 and PS3. So, is Valve building their own operating system for games to run on? Contrary to what the article states, wouldn't that require a dev-kit of some sort? Or is this thing going to run Windows 8? How's Microsoft going to accept that especially since it's their goal to be the one-stop set top box in the living room?
    2. If this device is an open platform unlike your current consoles, will it require virus protection? Is that something Valve will handle or are users expected to install their own? What happens if the something breaks (hardware or software)? Is it going to be like talking to Dell tech support?
    3. The article says consumers will be able to install other services beyond Steam such as Origin? I assume that would include competing direct download services such as Good Old Games, Direct2Drive/Gamefly and GamersGate. How would those services be adapted to run on the platform? Would all existing games need to be ported to run on Valve's new hypothetical system just as standard PC games are (slowly) being adapted to run on Mac?
    4. Is this machine going to be price competitive with a new PC or the new consoles? The Alienware X51 starts at $700, a hundred more than the launch price of the PS3. The new consoles will probably be a little more than half that ($400 maybe?), so where will the Steambox/"GabeCube" fall?

I am not saying this rumor isn't true, it's just that it raises far too many questions for me to jump on the bandwagon yet.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ShaneDev

Sounds cool but if it's too much like a standard PC then will anyone really care? I mean whats stopping anyone with a regular PC from connecting it to their TV? Nothing really. And if Steam updates with the full screen UI then you would have even less reason to buy a Steam Box. People have been saying that you would be able to upgrade a Steam Box easier than a regular PC but again whats the point? Upgrading a PC is a piece of cake anyway even to a novice. Wouldn't the end product just be a typical pre-built gaming PC with less functionality than that of a regular PC? I am probably thinking this is more of a PC than it actually will be.

Also the controls and add ons are going to be bloody expensive if they collect biometric data on you. Even just getting your temperate, sweat level or heart rate would be add a decent bit to the price. I am not sure what the mean by biometric feedback, is the thing going to inject you with something? Is it going to rumble the controller when your heart rate increases? Or when your eyes dilate? All that crap would add to the price in a big way and to be honest it's the thing that sounds very fake about this whole product.

Also I think Joshua Topolsky is pretty shitty technology writer. The man knows very little about the underlying tech in anything or how anything works.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#121  Edited By Deranged

@Djratchet said:

I'd buy it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#122  Edited By AndrewB

So in other words, Valve will be selling PCs with Steam pre-installed. Sure, I guess. Keep the price low enough and maybe people can stop complaining about the barrier to entry for PC gaming. I'm assuming it will still be running Windows and everything, so I don't suppose it could be a whole lot better an experience than what's already out there. Though I could imagine one kickass little Windows 8 app coming out of Valve.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

steam OS??

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By p00rdevil

So this hardware will be competing against 3 consoles and the PC.We already have PC games available on the consoles, and next generation they will probably start porting MMOs. I'm not understanding where the market falls for something like this. Is it suppose to replace my gaming PC? My next gen Playstation? There is no way I would jump on board unless it was very cheap and very powerful. The last thing I am looking for is another static, underpowered console. I have too many of them lying around now.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By jmood88

This sounds like the Alienware "console".

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By Dany

It depends on how it costs, maybe its entry level?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By emem

Reading the words "Steam Box" makes me wonder who came up with that name and if he/she got a bonus for creativity... (even if it's not a real thing or just the name of the project)

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By stinky

love a console that had the sales of steam.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#129  Edited By Red

Had I not recently bought a pretty decent gaming laptop, I'd definitely pick this up. I'll probably pick it up eventually, anyways.

The only problem I see with this is that Steam does lack a bunch of publishers--or at least the entirety of their catalogs--like EA and Microsoft.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By MrKlorox

Sounds more like a Steam OS on a regular PC. Not that an OS designed specifically for gaming would be a bad thing.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#132  Edited By evilrazer

"SteamBox": Buy everything that is on this list in a local store, assemble, install Steam.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Nux

This sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when its confirmed so for now I won't get my hopes up.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Hunkulese

@Wrighteous86 said:

I'd buy it too. I fucking hate installing PC games. I have both The Witcher and Amnesia and can't get them to work. With basic specs, it would be a much smoother process.

You hate installing PC games? You press buy on steam and then you press install. How difficult is that?

It doesn't sound like the "Steam Box" is anything more than a steam branded PC that will have the form factor of a console. You're still going to have to install the games and there's not going to be any steam box only games.

If it was an actual console then those specs are absurd.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Hunkulese

@Phatmac said:

@Doctorchimp: This is more than just a PC. This would let Valve have both console games that don't get ported to the PC and Steam games. In other words, Valve would be able to dominate two markets. It'll be easier to make games on the Steam Box as it won't need a devkit or licensing fees.

I don't think you actually understand anything you wrote.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrKlorox said:

Sounds more like a Steam OS on a regular PC. Not that an OS designed specifically for gaming would be a bad thing.

A new OS would be the only thing that would actually make this more of a console and less of a glorified HTPC. Of course, there wouldn't be any DirectX so the majority of the Steam catalog would be incompatible. So unless Valve can strong-arm all the developers to start releasing all of their games in OpenGL as well or they come up with their own architecture, I really doubt it's a "Steam OS."

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Hunkulese

It amazes me how ignorant some people are and how easy it must be to be in marketing these days. If you take everything in the article as fact there is no indication that it is another platform. The term console is loosely used to mean something you plug into the TV in your living room. They're talking about valve releasing a PC and everything in the article says that. No need for licensing and devkits? Yeah because it's a PC. The Alienware x51 may have been an early spec? Guess what it's a PC. Able to run any PC game? Of course it can because it's a PC. Able to install Origin? Can you install Origin on your PC? Compatible with a wide variety of USB devices? Again just like a PC.

The only piece of original hardware mentioned in the article is their controller and I still don't see how you can call a PC with a special controller a new platform.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#139  Edited By viking_funeral

@Andorski said:

One or both of these things will happen:

1. "Steam Box" is actually their initiative to make a Steam interface that is usable for TVs, and this rumor is a product of both exaggerations and things getting lost in translation.
    2. Valve is teaming up with a hardware partner (I doubt it would be a large corporation like Dell or HP; I'd guess a company like Origin - the original guys behind Alienware) to produce a machine not unlike the X51. The PC will be aimed to be used for the living room/television and Valve will leverage this area of the market to get more "console-only" developers to port their games onto their service. Valve will not have financial stake in the product's sales; their commitment will be to levy their brand as a selling point and to have their service preloaded on the machine.

As for Valve actually entering to market with their own console: complete bull. There is no reason for Valve to enter the console race where everyone (Nintendo excluded) releases a product at a loss and hope that licensing fees will keep them above water. Valve's number one goal is simple: to get everyone, both publishers/developers and consumers, onto their digital platform. Making a console would be an extraneous strategy.

Yep. That about sums it up.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#140  Edited By Lazyaza

Sounds like complete bs to me tbh.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Hunkulese

Also the Alienwar x51 with specs similar to what you mentioned sells for $1150. Is that cost effective for you?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Hunkulese

@Lazyaza said:

Sounds like complete bs to me tbh.

I'm not really sure what you think is bs about it. Valve wants to increase the PC gaming market and this is a pretty viable way to do so.

Everything in that article seems perfectly legit. You just have to understand what their actually talking about.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By therabidfrog

Please let this be true. PLEASE! Think of the sales. THE SALES!

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By lockwoodx

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#145  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@DemBones said:

I would definitely buy that.

@Wrighteous86 said:

I'd buy it too. I fucking hate installing PC games. I have both The Witcher and Amnesia and can't get them to work. With basic specs, it would be a much smoother process.

@Djratchet said:

I'd buy it.

As would I. But I'll remain skeptical, to put it lightly.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By endaround

@Hunkulese said:

It amazes me how ignorant some people are and how easy it must be to be in marketing these days. If you take everything in the article as fact there is no indication that it is another platform. The term console is loosely used to mean something you plug into the TV in your living room. They're talking about valve releasing a PC and everything in the article says that. No need for licensing and devkits? Yeah because it's a PC. The Alienware x51 may have been an early spec? Guess what it's a PC. Able to run any PC game? Of course it can because it's a PC. Able to install Origin? Can you install Origin on your PC? Compatible with a wide variety of USB devices? Again just like a PC.

The only piece of original hardware mentioned in the article is their controller and I still don't see how you can call a PC with a special controller a new platform.

Exactly. The article basically states Valve had talks to get the Steam name on some type of PC. Maybe its TV centric, but it would be relatively expensive since whoever does this doesn't have the supply chain Microsoft and Sony have. Is there anyone out there besides Apple with the money to take a bath similar to what Microsoft took during the first Xbox?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By GunslingerPanda

This rumour has been around for years. It's not going to happen.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#148  Edited By Dalai

It's a rumor, correct? So there's no news here. And if it was, it sounds more like a branded PC than a console.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Zithe

@endaround said:

@Hunkulese said:

Exactly. The article basically states Valve had talks to get the Steam name on some type of PC. Maybe its TV centric, but it would be relatively expensive since whoever does this doesn't have the supply chain Microsoft and Sony have. Is there anyone out there besides Apple with the money to take a bath similar to what Microsoft took during the first Xbox?

I don't entirely disagree with what you guys are saying, but it sounds to me like they are actually trying to make a media center device similar to an Apple TV or a Boxee Box that can also play Steam games. I imagine it having a very simple OS that just lets the user launch Steam, Origin, Netflix, Amazon services, Hulu Plus, etc. as apps. So it's basically just one of those devices that can also play PC games. I could be wrong though.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Isn't this the same rumour which has been floating around since late 07?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.