Son of a...Valve Not Showing Any Games at E3

Posted by patrickklepek (3518 posts) -

Hearing about another Valve project so soon after Portal 2 seemed unlikely, but when it comes to Half-Life: Episode 3 (or whatever it's called), hope springs eternal. Unfortunately, Valve has tossed some cold water on any substantial showing at E3 next month, telling the press it's not showing anything.

"We are not showing any titles at this year's show," said the company.

Okay, sure, technically, it doesn't rule out some surprise at one of the big press conferences. Valve debuted Left 4 Dead 2's trailer at Microsoft's event and Gabe Newell appeared on stage with Sony last year, promising the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 would be the best console version of the game.

But like the G-Man, hope springs eternal. Just temper your expectations.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3518 posts) -

Hearing about another Valve project so soon after Portal 2 seemed unlikely, but when it comes to Half-Life: Episode 3 (or whatever it's called), hope springs eternal. Unfortunately, Valve has tossed some cold water on any substantial showing at E3 next month, telling the press it's not showing anything.

"We are not showing any titles at this year's show," said the company.

Okay, sure, technically, it doesn't rule out some surprise at one of the big press conferences. Valve debuted Left 4 Dead 2's trailer at Microsoft's event and Gabe Newell appeared on stage with Sony last year, promising the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 would be the best console version of the game.

But like the G-Man, hope springs eternal. Just temper your expectations.

Staff Online
#2 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#3 Posted by Beanzie (6 posts) -

damn

#4 Posted by RedUFO (20 posts) -

:(

#5 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#6 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -
@Vigil said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#7 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

WTF Valve?!!

(and yet, I didn't expect things any differently)

#8 Posted by Daveyo520 (6663 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

What the JESUS CHRIST.

#10 Posted by Shivoa (613 posts) -

Situation normal.  Valve time is in operation.  Cliffhangers are a sign of the devil, especially at the end of a videogame.

#11 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

:( Release some Half-Life goodness, please.

By the way, I am one of those nerds who would give up eating bacon for a year if I could see a 5 second clip of something new about Half-Life.
#12 Posted by AidanGS (7 posts) -

...Really?

#13 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABE! 
#14 Posted by EpicReflex (205 posts) -

Half Life 3 had best have a new fucking engine. 

That is all.
#15 Posted by mbkish (244 posts) -

Well damn

#16 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I should try to act surprised... but I won't.

#17 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

GODDAMMIT

#18 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -
@EpicReflex said:
Half Life 3 had best have a new fucking engine. 

That is all.
They wouldn't dare!
#19 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Because they are too busy working! Right? ...right?

Goddammit.

#20 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

Godammit.

Gimme something...anything.

Gimme.

#21 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

Look at those shift eyes! L.A. Noire has taught me to Doubt this. SQUARE!!

#22 Edited by AndrewB (7519 posts) -
#23 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

The greatest gift you could give your studio is to let them just relax and take the Expo off.

#24 Posted by Forcen (1806 posts) -

They said the same thing last time, and remember gabe showing up at the sony thing?

#25 Posted by andrewf87462 (549 posts) -

Well that is a shame, but also expected.
#27 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

They have to be working on a new engine at this stage. I know they always talk about upgrading the Source engine but I think there is only so much they can do. I mean Portal 2 had a serious amount of load screens.

#28 Posted by Aetheldod (3516 posts) -

God damn it!!!!!!!! D:

#29 Posted by Jawshua (255 posts) -

fucking fuck fuckers

#30 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

-EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -   what the  -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -   is -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -   wrong -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -    -EXPLETIVE -   with VALVE????  -EXPLETIVE -   ing VALVE TIME! >:( 

#31 Posted by cyraxible (683 posts) -

If there was ever an abusive relationship in gaming it's definitely the one between gamers and Valve.

#32 Posted by Burn1n9m4n (261 posts) -

Cue the sad trombone.

#33 Posted by Jolt92 (1544 posts) -

It will never come. NEVER.

#34 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

The difference with Gabe Newell's announcement about Portal 2 last year was that Valve announced they were doing something on that day. I'm inclined to believe that Valve won't be at E3.

#35 Posted by Blair (2501 posts) -

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahah.

#36 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

At this point, this is just Valve laughing at Half-life fans right in the face, while rolling in a huge pile of Steam money.

#37 Posted by Agent_Eli (136 posts) -
@Kyreo said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
#38 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

Awww what the fuckkkkk

#39 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

As if you motherfuckers don't have enough games to play.

KIDS THESE DAYS
#40 Posted by guyver0 (148 posts) -

why does valve hate us :-( lol

#41 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

Ah well, this means they're busy working on other stuff and as is normal for valve they hold back on info until maybe a month or two before release to prime up anticipation.

#42 Posted by ShaggE (6349 posts) -

So... no Portal 3 news? It's been weeks since Portal 2, Gabe! C'mon!

#43 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Ahahahaha!

#44 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Anyone still expecting anything out of anything Half-Life related should go into hibernation for 10 years or so, to avoid suicide.

#45 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Valve just won't admit they can't count to three...

#46 Posted by Explosivo (26 posts) -

They wouldn't have to announce it. Just announce they are actually still trying to make it.

#47 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

OMG It is taking every fiber of my being not to spaz out in a complete nerd rage right now...It's been 4 years now how fucking long does it take to release an FPS game that's only supposed to be around FOUR FUCKING HOURS LONG!!!

You mean to tell me that Activision can crank out some bullshit CoD game with a full 8 hour campaign and multiplayer every fucking year but Valve can't release just one four hour game in four years!?!

#48 Posted by rmanthorp (3891 posts) -
@RobotHamster: FACT
#49 Posted by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -

Man, it's taking so long for this game to be shown, I'm worried it might end up as a bit of a disappointment! But I have faith and very much hoping we get what we deserve for waiting this long!

#50 Posted by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

WANT EPISODE 3 WANT STOP COMBINE NOW AAAAAGH

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.