Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

The Steam Controller Is Valve's Third Announcement

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Can you CoD with it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
    deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What happens when you have to use the "sticks" and the buttons at the same time? The button placement seems awkward.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll believe it works better when I see it in action, but right now I'm skeptical. They didn't address my biggest concern with playing PC games on a TV. which is typing. Moving a cursor around a virtual keyboard is not solution, haptic or not. If this thing doesn't eliminate the need for a keyboard and mouse, what's the point? If Valve is going to ask developers to reconfigure games like Civilization for these touchpads why don't they just port it to PS4 or Xbox One? I know Paradox came out in support of the OS, but how exactly are you supposed to play CK2 using this controller without redesigning the in-game UI?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sorry, but this is just another classic scenario where Valve does something that had anybody else done, they would be getting torn to shreds. Nintendo releases a controller with a built in tablet? "That's so stupid!" These guys make a controller with touch-pads, and "Oh hey, ya never know!" I love Valve, but this is getting out of control.

Uh, not even a close comparison - this doesn't have a massive screen and pretend to double as a (poor) tablet. It's likely going to be far cheaper also and has way more uses.

Although, that button config... That looks awful for hack and slash games. Guess I'll wait and see.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I don't have a clue how that controller will work out.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That thing looks weird as hell. I hope it's cool.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No analog? LOL. No thanks. I use controllers instead of mouse/keyboard for a reason.

Even a primarily console player, I know that mouse and keyboard is absolutely the more precise option. I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You know what? I like the look of it. "Fuck the system!" is Valve's motto right now and that's what they are doing by making a controller that doesn't conform to what has been established in the past. Trying new things will not hurt them in the long run.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested to try it. I think the buttons on the back are a nice addition, I kind of wish sony or microsoft had done that, since most of my fingers just sit back there doing nothing, while my thumbs do most of the work. I dunno about the touchpads, but at least it will solve deadzone problems and better haptic feedback is super enticing and as much as I tend to dislike using laptop trackpads etc, I think Valve have enough sense to know if something like that is shit or not.

No d-pad is a real bummer to me personally though.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I see...
    All I see...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The best games on tablets are the ones where they simulate joysticks....

ExiledVip3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By ExiledVip3r

Looks horrible and awkward; but that could easily just be the bias of being so used to thumbsticks for so long. Change is scary.

Hesitantly optimistic, not a fan of touchpads as "precision control," but it's entirely possible the combination of having separate trackpads and haptic feedback changes that. I'm certainly interested in giving it a chance.

I was expecting it be nothing more than a reconfiguration of the xbox controller, since PC games already have so much support for that. Kinda glad to see they decided to gamble on something new and unique instead.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By kagato

That is horrific...i remember 3rd party SNES pads that looked like this thing, please tell me we can use 360 and PS4 games on this OS? I am not using...that

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn that shit around and it looks like Deadmaus

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't really be any worse than sticks when it comes to replicating M&KB functionality.

teapoted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By teapoted

@michaelferrari said:

I'm sorry, but this is just another classic scenario where Valve does something that had anybody else done, they would be getting torn to shreds. Nintendo releases a controller with a built in tablet? "That's so stupid!" These guys make a controller with touch-pads, and "Oh hey, ya never know!" I love Valve, but this is getting out of control.

Well the difference is that it's much easier to imagine what playing a WII-U is like without ever doing so. It's a fairly standard controller with a big tablet in the middle. It's essentially a gameboy in the place of a controller.

This on the other hand is a twist on technology which already exists but it's very difficult to judge how it will perform without testing it. It is technology which succeeds and fails on refinement.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where are the face buttons? WHERE ARE THE FACE BUTTONS?

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eeeeehhh...eeeeerrrr....uuuuuhhhhh....ummmmmmmm...hhhrrrrrmmmmm....well I guess we'll...uh..I guess we'll see?

prankxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will they make a red one call it meatboy edition

TangyGeoduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has 3 touch pads? Half Life 3 confirmed?

This looks like a pretty novel controller if it works right. Nice to see Valve continuing to do their own thing.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I don't know about this, I mean controllers are practically perfect as they are, I don't see any need to change what works.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happens when you have to use the "sticks" and the buttons at the same time? The button placement seems awkward.

Gotta agree with this. With this kinda button placement it's pretty much impossible to make a game where you're always in control of one stick, which in most action games is pretty essential. Playing your standard shooter with this controller will basically mean that there will be moments where you're forced to stand completely still.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm certain that Valve had the proper cash to invest into some exceptional R&D for this controller so it HAS to be good.

Right?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:

If Valve wasn't behind this thing, no one would give it any benefit of the doubt whatsoever. There's a good reason for that.

Their name carries with it a large amount of legitimacy and trust among their audience. I'd say there's a good reason for that, as well.

I'm going to hold my judgments until I've tried it, however.

ShakeSoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa... That controller is funky... I mean funky!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

This seems like something Nintendo would make.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:

If Valve wasn't behind this thing, no one would give it any benefit of the doubt whatsoever. There's a good reason for that.

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well yes, that is something called trust and this is how it functions. Nintendo broke trust by making a sub par controller in the wiimote, valve has proven they aren't dumb. Only an idiot rips something "to shreds" when they don't even understand how its going to work.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@michaelferrari: Because Valve has a very good track record. Nintendo alienated a lot of people with the Wii, and bungled their Wii U marketing something awful, so that gives people plenty of reason to doubt. Valve has done nothing but good for gaming and gamers, so people want to trust them.

Not every company is equal, and Valve has definitely earned the respect they're getting.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has 3 touch pads? Half Life 3 confirmed?

This looks like a pretty novel controller if it works right. Nice to see Valve continuing to do their own thing.

Three parts to the announcement - half life 3 confimred

Srsly tho, This is weird. Valve gets a pass way more than most, but this whole controller-with-no-buttons isn't very impressive - it looks neat, but probably feels terrible. I can't imagine their Imagineers are so drunk on the Koolaid that they can't tell a good controller from a bad one, but how is "haptic feedback" more or equal to actual tactic feel? Analog sticks aside, no buttons is another major bummer for me. Now more than ever I want one of the 300 demo/beta units - this is something I need to know and try for myself.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By vaiz

This looks stupid as fuck.

/kneejerk reaction

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Scrawnto

It looks like a bad design. I can't believe it doesn't at least have some form or face buttons or d-pad/joystick. You have four buttons you can press without lifting your thumbs of one of the trackpads. If you lift off one, you have 6 buttons, but those two surrounding the touchscreen look awkwardly placed at best. If you lift of one of the sticks on a regular controller, you have 8 buttons that you can be pressing while stick being able to move/aim. I think touch implementations of joysticks are bad, even with all the haptics and physical contours. I don't know, was super excited about the Steam Machine, but this controller seems like a miss.

There are actually two buttons on the back of the controller. 4 triggers/shoulder buttons, 2 buttons on the back, and the 2 buttons of the trackpads themselves make 8 buttons without moving your thumbs from the track pads. If you lift one off, you get the two buttons by the screen, and the screen itself, which makes around 10, which is roughly equivalent to what you get on a 360 controller. The buttons just happen to be in really strange places. I'd have to hold one to know if it would work for me, but it might require some serious re-training to use well, which might be what kills it.

As far as the track pads go, I dunno. That very well could be a huge mistake. I'll wait until someone whose opinion I trust gets their hands on it and runs it through its paces. At the very least, I doubt it will be as catastrophically bad as the OUYA's controller.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That's not meant to replace a 360 controller, so that's not my issue, but how well will it work with mouse and keyboard stuff? I'm willing to accept that aiming is better than with sticks, but will people's performance on CoD or CounterStrike be comparable? More to the point, is it even an option for stuff like DOTA? Beause if it isn't, it means that you still need a desk-based PC somewhere.

And the announcement is surprisingly vague about that. They talk about casual and turn-based stuff, but it doesn't sound like they expect hardcore mousing to be a thing you can do with it.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I'm really interested to see what new types of games can be developed because of this.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This controller is like some weird middle ground thing. It looks like it could be better than a 360 controller for first person shooters (yet not as good as a mouse), and worse for everything else.

ministry4390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn that thing's ugly.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

Man I don't know about this, I mean controllers are practically perfect as they are, I don't see any need to change what works.

This controller is designed for RTS and other Keyboard-Mouse heavy games that current crop of controllers simply cannot be mapped onto. From the looks of it you won't be able to play digital movement heavy games like Super meatboy but playing SC 2 while sitting on a couch might now be a possibility.

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's definitely different. If it’s better is something else...

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jswan13 said:

sweet boombox

Looks like a modern home boombox where you connect your iphone or ipod to the top. Not feeling the design but it doesn't matter because this stuff isn't for me. I already have a high end PC in my living room with a wireless keyboard/mouse and a controller.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:

Their name carries with it a large amount of legitimacy and trust among their audience. I'd say there's a good reason for that, as well.

I'm going to hold my judgments until I've tried it, however.

How anyone could argue that people have good reason to trust that a software company would be good at producing controllers is beyond me. It's never been their area of expertise and we have countless examples of the problems that arise when traditionally software companies force themselves into making hardware; all those red-ringed Xbox 360s and broken-after-a-year Rock Band 1 controllers say hi, and those were from companies with a lot more capital than Valve.

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knows how well it will work but my God it's fuck ugly.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#nope

phantom_3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By phantom_3d

this been tired few times before with not much success normally with left analog being replaced with touch pad. but i have try one out before i can judge it. but do hate fat legs on it.

paisan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By paisan13

This thing looks weird, but so did at first the Nes controller, and the Playstation controller, and the Xbox controller, and so on, so I wont make any judgment calls until I try one.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm 100% behind the first two announcements... this third one, not so much. It's pretty cool, but I'm not sure I need it. I play my keyboard games with a keyboard, and my gamepad games with a gamepad. There has never been a scenario in my life where I said: "Oh, I wish I could be playing this Civ game with a gamepad!"...

willboweird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I make all other controllers obsolete!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqV_u_JgLQ

smiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's made by Valve. That means I already believe it works better than any other controller in existence.

I'm not that interested in playing pc games on my tv, I like the way I have things set up now. But I could easily see myself using this controller when for certain games instead of the 360 controller I use now.

Valve design has always been top of the class and I believe they must have put a ton of research into getting to this point. So if this is what they're showing us now then it must work beautifully.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.