Valve, J.J. Abrams Want to Collaborate on Movies, Games

• 171 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3378 posts) -

It’s an unwritten rule between Alex and I to avoid the most of the news about Hollywood picking the rights to produce movies based on video games, largely because they almost never happen.

That said, all bets are off when it comes to Paul Walker (Alex) and JJ Abrams (me). I'd apologize, except I'm not going to apologize.

Anyway, Valve founder Gabe Newell and director J.J. Abrams were part of a joint keynote this morning, the kickoff for the the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas this week (we aren't there, sadly). The duo revealed a mutual admiration for one another, and Abrams revealed he’d like to work with Valve on a game, and Valve would like to work with Abrams on possibly creating a Half-Life or Portal movie.

No real details were revealed, and it may only be aspirational between the two, at the moment.

The keynote was titled “Storytelling Across Platforms: Who Benefits Most, the Audience or the Player?”

The connection between Valve and Abrams isn’t completely new. An interactive teaser trailer for Abrams’ Spielbergian flick Super 8 was produced using Valve’s Source engine in 2011.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3378 posts) -

It’s an unwritten rule between Alex and I to avoid the most of the news about Hollywood picking the rights to produce movies based on video games, largely because they almost never happen.

That said, all bets are off when it comes to Paul Walker (Alex) and JJ Abrams (me). I'd apologize, except I'm not going to apologize.

Anyway, Valve founder Gabe Newell and director J.J. Abrams were part of a joint keynote this morning, the kickoff for the the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas this week (we aren't there, sadly). The duo revealed a mutual admiration for one another, and Abrams revealed he’d like to work with Valve on a game, and Valve would like to work with Abrams on possibly creating a Half-Life or Portal movie.

No real details were revealed, and it may only be aspirational between the two, at the moment.

The keynote was titled “Storytelling Across Platforms: Who Benefits Most, the Audience or the Player?”

The connection between Valve and Abrams isn’t completely new. An interactive teaser trailer for Abrams’ Spielbergian flick Super 8 was produced using Valve’s Source engine in 2011.

Staff
#2 Edited by ChrisTaran (1553 posts) -

J.J. is owning the media world.

#3 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

Something may actually come out of this.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2125 posts) -

Cool.

#5 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Where's Half-life 3?

Lost.

#6 Posted by the_great_skenardo (110 posts) -

So basically what this all means is that three years ago, JJ abrams found a Magic Lamp with a genie inside.

"I want to direct a new Star Trek movie!" IT IS DONE

"I want to direct the new Star Wars trilogy!" IT SHALL BE SO

"I want to work on half-life three!" ...LOOK, STICK TO MOVIES KID.

#7 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

I really like the sound of this. Here's hoping!

#8 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

@Icicle7x3 said:

Where's Half-life 3?

Lost.

I see what you did there.

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Half-Life 3 coming soon!

(To a theater! AHAHAHA!)

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3771 posts) -

Half-Life 3 will turn out to be a J.J. Abrams film done with Source Filmmaker with the Source 2 engine showcasing all sorts of new crazy lens flare tech.

#11 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I find it hard to imagine Half-Life and Portal translating that well into movies. Maybe Abrams can do it, but I doubt it.

#12 Posted by falling_fast (2177 posts) -

I could not be less excited

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10332 posts) -

Doesn't JJ Abrams already have enough to do between Star Wars and Star Trek?

#14 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

I'm more interested to see what his game ideas are rather than any film adaptations. Portal and Half-Life already have proven themselves as workable fan shorts.

#15 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

I hope not. I'm looking at you Black Ops.

Stay out of gaming, Hollywood.

#16 Posted by redgonzo (98 posts) -

Welcome to the video game ghetto J.J. Abrams

#17 Posted by Luck702 (350 posts) -

my brain just sploded.

#18 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2305 posts) -

I did always think JJ Abrams could nail a Half-Life 2 adaptation. Or perhaps just a show set in City 17.

#19 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Go for it.

#20 Edited by UberExplodey (922 posts) -

Who was REALLY asking for Half-Life or Portal movie?

Let games be games. Let Gabe be a knife-obsessed Muppet.

#21 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Terrible combo. Someone needs to break it.

#22 Posted by Saganomics (183 posts) -

@GeekDown said:

I find it hard to imagine Half-Life and Portal translating that well into movies. Maybe Abrams can do it, but I doubt it.

A film adaptation of the adventures of Gordon Freeman would probably be terrible, but the weird background fluff of the Half-Life setting (the Seven Hour War and other assorted G-man/Combine shit) seem right in Abrams' wheelhouse.

#23 Posted by VibratingDonkey (849 posts) -
#24 Posted by VaultDweller13 (95 posts) -

I'll believe stuff when I'm sitting in a theater watching it. Until then I have no interest.

#25 Posted by GaspoweR (2735 posts) -

LENS FLARE

Also, Alex needs to be on it when Nick Cage is going to be a video game-based movie.

#26 Posted by KLEPEK_DefenseForce (29 posts) -

Hot story Patrick!! Keep up the great work my man!

#27 Posted by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

A Portal movie? Makes even less sense than an Uncharted movie.

#28 Posted by Tesla (1902 posts) -

Please happen!

#29 Posted by Nights (602 posts) -

@VibratingDonkey said:

This is too good.

#30 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

I think the choice to hand Abrams anything at this point simply represents the worst in corporate thinking. I don't care that he is helming all these projects (Star Trek, Star Wars, ect) per se, but I do have issue with the bland, commercial mindset this represents. I can basically envision the movie that Abrams will make, and so can everybody else, so he remains the safe bet and gets the job. I hope Valve was simply being polite. There is a certain poetic irony in Abrams pumping out a series of homogeneous sequels and remakes based on what was once diverse, original material though.

And delving more into the Portal mythology? No thanks. The last thing we need is movie that does for Portal what midichlorians did for Star Wars.

#31 Posted by teh_destroyer (3560 posts) -

This is super cool.

#33 Edited by Abendlaender (2730 posts) -

LENS F...oh somebody already made that joke

Let me try again:

Something related to Half Life? That would be an Impossible Mission!

#34 Posted by feargalr (55 posts) -

God damn you Abrams, whatever dark magic brought you into this world is incredibly powerful.

#35 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

Is there video of Gabe's keynote anywhere?

#36 Posted by posh (457 posts) -

why not just let things exist exclusively in their own medium. i know the answer is "money" and that lots of people will watch this but it's lazy and money shouldn't be an excuse

#37 Posted by probablytuna (3522 posts) -

Hmmm, is there going to be a video of the keynote online in the near future?

#38 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

This is going to be either a pipedream or a disaster.

#39 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Is JJ Abrams courting the videogame industry for licensing purposes? I thought that there was some talk a while ago about him meeting with Kojima?

My god JJ Abrams' Metal Gear would be incredible. Why can't that be the rumour.

#40 Posted by arch4non (442 posts) -

Why does JJ Abrams suddenly have control over everything nerdy?

#41 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@arch4non said:

Why does JJ Abrams suddenly have control over everything nerdy?

Because that Star Trek reboot was pretty damn good

#42 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1689 posts) -

Abrams is one of the only directors I could see translating Half-Life into a good movie. Not that It really needs to happen, but if it does, he's a good choice.

#43 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -

@Icicle7x3 said:

Where's Half-life 3?

Lost.

You just won a thousand of Internets, friend.

#44 Posted by Elwoodan (736 posts) -

Screw building on valve's existing IPs, what if they made an entirely new collab. IP, the game and movie come out on the same day and tell 2 sides of the same story or something crazy.

#45 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Chicago Ted

#46 Posted by OriginalGman (292 posts) -

I'm pretty sure this just means JJ is as tired of waiting for Half-Life 3 as the rest of us, and he wants to get in there and get it made.

#47 Posted by Hurricrane (128 posts) -

YES. I AM COMPLETELY ON BOARD.

#48 Posted by Paindamnation (779 posts) -

@OriginalGman said:

I'm pretty sure this just means JJ is as tired of waiting for Half-Life 3 as the rest of us, and he wants to get in there and get it made.

#49 Posted by Nephrahim (1116 posts) -

@Paindamnation said:

@OriginalGman said:

#50 Posted by omghisam (282 posts) -

Great! Those video games & Guillermo del Toro and video games & James Cameron hot collabos have been dynamite!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.