Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Valve's CES 2014 Press Conference. WHAT DID WE LEARN?!

• 59 results
    Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Not much, actually. The seven-minute conference didn't really offer much other than a bunch of PC manufacturers are on board, there's now 250 Steam OS games, and Valve believes that they have some really good shit to deliver.

Who watched the conference live? Who read the time stamps in under a minute? What are your thoughts?

http://live.polygon.com/valve-steam-machine-steamos-ces-2014/

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Did you expect anything more from them? Valve speaks of nothing of the future except for what they want you to know. Like the Steambox, and how it will probably be launched with easteregg's of HL3 and they will just say it was all just someones joke in the office... or was it?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So no Half life 3???? BOOOOOooooooo >:(

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

We've learned that getting excited for Valve announcements is a waste of enthusiasm.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By e30bmw

@mcshank said:

Valve speaks of nothing of the future except for what they want you to know.

As opposed to all the other companies that tell us what they don't want us to know?

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By RockyRaccoon37
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'm kind of hoping Gabe Newell calls a press conference so he can approach the lectern, clear his throat, and announce, "The aliens came back and killed Gordon and Alyx. And then the Combine blew up the Earth for good measure. No Half-Life 3, you guys."

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that you shouldn't bet against Valve, but I just can't see the Steam boxes catching on with anyone but a tiny niche of the market, and all those different manufacturers makes it sound like just a...PC? I don't know...

Still excited for the controller though.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigjeffrey
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of hoping Gabe Newell calls a press conference so he can approach the lectern, clear his throat, and announce, "The aliens came back and killed Gordon and Alyx. And then the Combine blew up the Earth for good measure. No Half-Life 3, you guys."

Holy shit that would be the greatest thing ever.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski

Looks like a missed opportunity by Valve to create a open PC hardware ecosystem that is easier to understand for people. If you aren't into building PCs, the specs that these hardware OEMs listed to conference attendees make no sense. Which is better: The i7 + Iris Pro 5200 or the i5 + GTX 760? The i7 + GTX 780Ti or the customizable CPU + GTX Titan? Valve should have created tiers that correlated between OEM hardware and Steam games. Then people could buy with assurance that if you X hardware, then you can buy Y set of games.

I don't see this getting more than a niche audience. Those who would buy these would have probably bought a pre-built PC anyways if Valve never launched the Steam Machine initiative. Valve is doing nothing other than offering vendors and customers to chop of a little off the price tag by not putting in a Windows OS onto the rig.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daaaaaaaaaamn I could build a real decent gaming PC for less than 499, and it could do a lot more than play games.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw:

I can think of something better:

Tetsuya Nomura announces that he's going to hold a press conference about a possible Final Fantasy VII remake. The day comes. He walks on stage. He says, "We made Dirge of Cerberus.", and then walks off stage.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@e30bmw:

Tetsuya Nomura announces that he's going to hold a press conference about a possible Final Fantasy VII remake. The day comes. He walks on stage. He says, "We made Dirge of Cerberus.", and then walks off stage.

That joke doesn't work. You're making a sequel that actually exists the punchline.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16 Justin258  Online

@hailinel said:

@video_game_king said:

@e30bmw:

That joke doesn't work. You're making a sequel that actually exists the punchline.

There is no head-smacking gif appropriate enough...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

Then replace it with FF10-2. Or FF5, even if that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

Too late for a fumble recovery, man. :P

Back on topic, if the specs for Steam machines is really this diverse, it's going to be very interesting to see how this shakes out in living rooms. I certainly doubt it'll be replacing standard consoles any time soon.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@hailinel said:

@video_game_king said:

@hailinel:

Too late for a fumble recovery, man. :P

You'd better hope I never get a job at Square-Enix.
    You'd better hope I never get a job at Square-Enix.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I can see the cheaper Steam Machines making some impact possibly getting some people who are interested in PC games to buy one, but the $1000+ boxes make little sense and are basically just PCs with the Steam brand. I'd like to think most PC users who spend that kind of cash already build their own PCs and have no use for these consoles.

However I think the controller can become the PC standard over time if that scheme works as well as your standard 360 controller.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not seeing much reason to get one of these over just making a new PC. The controller looks neat, but I have a feeling they'll have a hard time selling a bunch out of the gate until people get their hands on them before spending a hundred bucks or whatever they cost. I wouldn't take a flier on it without trying it first, myself.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

These are just PC's with the Steam brand, right? The more I think about it the more there seems to be little value proposition over building my own PC, or simply buying a pre-made system from a builder without waiting. Is Valve going to refuse to sell Steam OS separately to force Steam Box adoption? I just don't see the differentiating factor here, at least not one that could possibly matter to enough people to make the push worth it.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gike987

@dalai said:

I can see the cheaper Steam Machines making some impact possibly getting some people who are interested in PC games to buy one, but the $1000+ boxes make little sense and are basically just PCs with the Steam brand. I'd like to think most PC users who spend that kind of cash already build their own PCs and have no use for these consoles.

However I think the controller can become the PC standard over time if that scheme works as well as your standard 360 controller.

There are a lot of people with more money than time who would rather spend extra to not have to search for parts and the put it all together. That's how these companies have been able to sell pre-built gaming PCs for years. The overlap between that audience and people who post a lot on gaming forums is probably pretty small, which is why people get so confused every time pre-built gaming PCs are mentioned.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I feel like a lot of people are going to be confused and/or disappointed when it comes to the SteamBox. The SteamBox is a PC. It's just one designed to not look out of place in your average home theater setup. If you already have a PC hooked to your fancy TV and you're already playing PC games in your living room then I don't think it's for you. If you're a PC gamer and you don't give a damn about gaming in the living room, I don't think it's for you either. I might be stating the obvious at this point, but I feel like this device is, first and foremost, for people who want to play video games in the living room, but don't have any consoles and/or simply want to have an elegant-looking gaming PC hooked up in their home theater.

I don't think it's a niche market at all, but I think the average hardcore PC gamer who is losing their shit over this is looking at it the wrong way. It's not so much a revolution as much as it is a nice addition. It will certainly help Steam and PC gaming grow, but it's not exactly some "new age of gaming."

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

These are just PC's with the Steam brand, right? The more I think about it the more there seems to be little value proposition over building my own PC, or simply buying a pre-made system from a builder without waiting. Is Valve going to refuse to sell Steam OS separately to force Steam Box adoption? I just don't see the differentiating factor here, at least not one that could possibly matter to enough people to make the push worth it.

They've made it pretty clear that SteamOS will be free. In fact, you can go download the beta version of it right now.

BlamBlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something like that Gigabyte unit which is way more powerful and way smaller than the monolith tower I dragged into the living room. For the right price I'd be willing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Soooo basically Steam Boxes aren't nearly cheap enough to be considered a true alternative to a regular PC? I guess that renders them completely pointless then.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AMyggen

@babychoochoo: What you're describing sound extremely niche to me, really.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By beforet

These prices...eh, it's making me question the whole steam machine future. At these prices, these are just brand name PCs. I wouldn't spend 6,000 on a Mac, and that can edit video. How's a Steam Machine justify that?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@amyggen: Meh, it could be for all I know. I just said so because it seems like there's a large, growing number of people getting into PC gaming or gaming in general who prefer to spend time on the couch instead of a desk. And considering it's "console upgrade time," I feel like a lot of those people may run across the SteamBox (one of the cheaper models) in their quest for a living room gaming solution. Again, I sure as hell ain't no expect in the matter so it could be super niche, but I would like to think there's an arguably significant market there somewhere.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet: at some point, it's cheaper to just build another PC and buy the steam controller.

These seem like devices for people who have too much money and don't want to see a PC attached to their TV.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

These prices...eh, it's making me question the whole steam machine future. At these prices, these are just brand name PCs. I wouldn't spend 6,000 on a Mac, and that can edit video. How's a Steam Machine justify that?

Because some super rich person would probably buy it. You don't have to buy the most expensive one, they announced other ones that had more reasonable prices. And yes of course the are PCs, the whole concept of Steam Machines was always to bring PCs (with an OS and controller to make it work) to the living room not to make a new console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
    deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, does anyone else think that Valve is starting to tick off their uberdevoted fanbase? It seems they're content to ride the steam train forever now. These steamboxes don't make any sense, and now I wonder where the BASED GABEN GABECUBE CONSOLE KILLER crowd is going to say.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By beforet

@l4wd0g said:

@beforet: at some point, it's cheaper to just build another PC and buy the steam controller.

These seem like devices for people who have too much money and don't want to see a PC attached to their TV.

Actually, you're right. I looked at the Bolt II's parts on Newegg. Without considering motherboard (which is trivial, really), case, and any extra fans you might want, it comes to 1400 bones to built it. Over 1000 dollars cheaper. That's...kind of ridiculous. Like, okay if you don't want to build a PC then fine, buy a sick dell or an Alienware if you need the peace of mind. This just seems, I dunno, like another one of those, with the added bonus of Linux.

Or, hell, toss $50 at a tech savvy friend to put together the actual box for you, and pocket the grand. They can even throw on the SteamOS if you really want it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The WebHallen build looks pretty good with a decent price and specs but I don't see this thing taking off as Steam OS is based on linux and maaan... I don't hate linux but that would be a hard sell for a lot of people.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

SteamOS is completely free. You can download the beta right now and install it on any PC. SteamOS is suppose to be a hardware option for people who don't want to build a PC but want to play Steam games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So no Half life 3???? BOOOOOooooooo >:(

Shhhhhhh just let go. It will be okay.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

@brendan said:

SteamOS is completely free. You can download the beta right now and install it on any PC. SteamOS is suppose to be a hardware option for people who don't want to build a PC but want to play Steam games.

Yeah, the OS itself is going to be free, and that's the part I have the most interest in playing with. I'm just not entirely sure that the Steam Boxes add much of value that any other expensive pre-built PC will already have. Also, I'm not totally convinced that the demographics of "willing to deal with Linux to play games" and "willing to build a PC to play games" are different enough, but I can't say anything with authority, of course.

And obviously this is all just alarmist speculation on my part; maybe the Steam Box will take off and Linux will become the defacto PC gaming platform for gamers of all types. I'm just starting to have my reservations on the actual hardware side of things.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, does anyone else think that Valve is starting to tick off their uberdevoted fanbase? It seems they're content to ride the steam train forever now.

Implying that Valve isn't putting games out fast enough? If it's "ticking" people off that they put tons of effort into maintaining the best resource for PC downloads, that they test and tweak their games to perfection, and are busy doing daily upkeep on two of the most critically acclaimed and fan beloved F2P games of all time, all while pushing technology in areas that no other company is willing to... maybe those fans should look somewhere else.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angeln7 said:

The WebHallen build looks pretty good with a decent price and specs but I don't see this thing taking off as Steam OS is based on linux and maaan... I don't hate linux but that would be a hard sell for a lot of people.

Webhallen commented on that chassi yesterday right after the reveal. Apparently they knew about the partnership 10 days beforehand, so the picture is just a Bitfenix Prodigy chassi to show for CES. Apparently a more compact one will be shown later.

Makes you wonder how much the other partner's boxes will change 'til launch.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gike987

@beforet: You won't have to "deal with linux". SteamOS looks like big picture mode and you even have to enable access in the option menu if you ant to visit the desktop and if everything works as it should people shouldn't have to visit it. Do you really think Valve will force people to use the terminal or something on the OS they made for the living room?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

Yeah, the OS itself is going to be free, and that's the part I have the most interest in playing with. I'm just not entirely sure that the Steam Boxes add much of value that any other expensive pre-built PC will already have. Also, I'm not totally convinced that the demographics of "willing to deal with Linux to play games" and "willing to build a PC to play games" are different enough, but I can't say anything with authority, of course.

And obviously this is all just alarmist speculation on my part; maybe the Steam Box will take off and Linux will become the defacto PC gaming platform for gamers of all types. I'm just starting to have my reservations on the actual hardware side of things.

Oh yea... I completely agree with that sentiment. The "target demographic" that Valve looks to be going for seems somewhat contradictory. It's a person who:

• Wants to ditch consoles and play the "vast" Steam library - even though said library is limit to Linux compatible games
    • Doesn't want to deal with the confusion of building a PC - but is okay with futzing around with Linux and wants to be able to upgrade their Steam Machine in the future

So I don't really know who this box is for. Although I think Steam Machines aren't the focus of Valve; the SteamOS is. Gabe wants to stop being dependent on Windows and Microsoft. Making an OS that runs on current PC hardware is his way out. Although that brings up the question of why PC gamers would want to leave Windows. I think a good chunk of people are willing to leave Windows just from the performance increase in games that Valve is promising, but the majority will stick with Windows + Steam client until SteamOS has feature parity with Microsoft's OS.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By guanophobic
    @andorski said:

So I don't really know who this box is for. Although I think Steam Machines aren't the focus of Valve; the SteamOS is. Gabe wants to stop being dependent on Windows and Microsoft. Making an OS that runs on current PC hardware is his way out. Although that brings up the question of why PC gamers would want to leave Windows. I think a good chunk of people are willing to leave Windows just from the performance increase in games that Valve is promising, but the majority will stick with Windows + Steam client until SteamOS has feature parity with Microsoft's OS.

I believe there are three camps actually willing to give gaming on Steam OS / Linux more than one off chance:

1. Competitive gamers. Guys that still run CS 1.6, Quakeworld, Dota etc would go to great lengths and learn just enough about a Linux distribution to make those games run even faster. Just the same way people still run their games on Windows 7 or XP.
    2. Tech hipsters / early adoptors getting on the open source bandwaggon, tired of the old ways of Windows.
    3. Guys that come from the console side of things, wanting to take a babystep into PC gaming.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By tourgen

I don't know. That's a big range in hardware & price. I guess what you get is a pre-built HW box that's hopefully decently quiet and tested to run SteamOS, and the dual-thumb-mouse controller thing. It seems pretty scattered though and maybe not well planned. I mean, are they releasing hardware targets for game developers too? Like a tiered system or something?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone's interested, The Verge has an interesting interview with Valve designer Greg Coomer and Alienware product manager Marc Diana about one of Alienware's Steam Machines. They try to explain why they're making it, and what they see at its market. I'm still not convinced, in case you're wondering, but interesting interview nontheless.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned that the designers at Falcon are about 13 years old

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

That zotac just a fucking box.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.