Valve: What Now?

#1 Posted by Assassin17 (19 posts) -

Being as an awsome an SERIOUS gamer, i wonder where Valve will head now that it has joined other Game Companies to avoid lawsuit. Opinions?

#2 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

ipo surely

#3 Posted by Assassin17 (19 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura: well yea but maybe they could start new games with a different Engine, maybe with Ubisofts AnvilNext Engine.

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

@Assassin17 said:

@Lunar_Aura: well yea but maybe they could start new games with a different Engine, maybe with Ubisofts AnvilNext Engine.

They won't.

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (2052 posts) -

Probably nowhere new. It's just a precaution to avoid losing money to frivolous lawsuits, and it's one that doesn't even hold up in court. They'll continue forward with steam, purchasing new IPs, and not making trilogies.

#6 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Valve outsource? Pffffftttt

#7 Posted by Willza92 (259 posts) -

now they will never make episode 3 and there is nothing we can do about it because we signed away our rights to FREEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOM!

#8 Posted by NTM (7269 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Assassin17 said:

They won't.

Why would they do that? That doesn't make any sense. They're smart enough to make a great looking engine already.

#9 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Absolutely nothing will change.

#10 Posted by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

What does avoiding lawsuits like the other companies have to do with what game engine they use? I'm not sure I get your logic.

#11 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

Yeah, nothing will change. Valve will continue to sell stuff and release a new game every other 5 - 10 years.

#12 Posted by Assassin17 (19 posts) -

i mean, they could use a change of pace with Engines like Ubisoft or Sony or all the other Companies, but im just sayin.

#13 Posted by Chias (81 posts) -

I think you're on to something here duder! Why not take a break from one of the best engines out there? I mean, it's not like Valve updates that engine every couple of days or anything so they can continue making some of the best games out there. In all seriousness though, I don't think Valve would really outsource, and I don't think they would want to put out any money for other companies engines when they already have one that they know inside and out and can easily modify at any time for their needs, rather than work against the limits of other engines and spent months learning the new one/s. Valve games already take for goddamn ever to come out, I don't really feel a need to make that time longer.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Yeah, nothing will change. Valve will continue to sell stuff and release a new game every other 5 - 10 years.

That's just the schedule for a new Half Life game. They do alright with their other stuff. I really do want a new Half Life game, though...

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

ipo surely

I kinda doubt this since not being tied to the expectations of investors or being slaves to quarterly profit margins is like the crux of Valve's general philosophy.

Otherwise Half Life 3 would have been out years ago in whatever form it had taken.

#16 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@Deusx said:

That's just the schedule for a new Half Life game. They do alright with their other stuff. I really do want a new Half Life game, though...

That´s true. I wish they would release a new IP though. I love Portal, Counter Strike, Half LIfe, TF2, and Dota 2 but thats all stuff we´ve all been playing for at least 6 years. They need to release something new and exciting! or a new Half Life...

#17 Posted by triviaman09 (786 posts) -

They will continue to head deeper into moneyland doing exactly what they are doing.

#18 Posted by SomeJerk (3145 posts) -

Valve will continue down their path as a successful privately owned company that doesn't make decisions based on what investors think is best for them.

Which is a shame..

We'd had Episode 3 years ago if they were a stock company..

#19 Edited by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

Valve will continue down their path as a successful privately owned company that doesn't make decisions based on what investors think is best for them. Which is a shame.. We'd had Episode 3 years ago if they were a stock company..

I can't visualize a world where a 2/yearly scheduled release Half Life series would be as important/well made as it is in this.

#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11857 posts) -
@SomeJerk said:
Valve will continue down their path as a successful privately owned company that doesn't make decisions based on what investors think is best for them.
#21 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -

They will make a new Lost Vikings. Blizzard is very happy about that decision.

#22 Posted by Assassin17 (19 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: true. they set up an awsome sequel end in episode two, but it doesnt have to be a Half Life 3. maybe a third episode but not named episode 3.

#23 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

Valve will continue being Valve. They've yet to screw over their fans, and have the reputation for being the savior of video games, why would they start now?

#24 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

@Assassin17: perhaps go to grade school and learn how to count to 3

#25 Posted by pyrodactyl (1888 posts) -

No IPO, nothing major will change.

So they'll keep making computer sofware similar to crack cocain instead of making some video games.

So addictive, FTP multiplayer games and no half life 3.

Soon they'll rename the company to B.L.I.Z.Z.A.R.D. 2

#26 Posted by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

B.L.I.Z.Z.A.R.D. 2

Bifurcated Licensed Intelligent Zebra Zapping Aeronautics Registry Designs 2.

THEY MAKE VIDEO GAMES!

#27 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

Which is a shame.. We'd had Episode 3 years ago if they were a stock company..

Yeah, and it would have been utter shit.

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (9599 posts) -

Valve will continue racing the office chairs around the fifth floor and getting into bidding wars on knives on eBay.

And maybe in five or six years they'll make a game.

#29 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@Assassin17: perhaps go to grade school and learn how to count to 3

Not a chance. The next game in the Half-Life series will be titled Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Episode 1.

#30 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

They will continue to make bug ridden fun pieces of shit. I'm looking at you TF2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.