Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

VR Demo at GDC 2015 ends in "Aperture Science teaser"

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jorbit

According to CNET's Scott Stein, the last demo during the HTC Vive demonstration was:

Finally, I ended up in an all-too-familiar familiar antiseptic white room. A robotic voice addressed me, and yes, I was in Aperture Science, being dragged through a robot repair program educational trainer that, as you'd expect, doesn't go as smoothly as expected. It looked incredible: the writing and pacing were perfect. It felt like a Disney ride. I couldn't stop grinning. Portal 3, perhaps? Sounds like it.

Engadget's Nicole Lee also had a more detailed report about the Aperture Science demo, which she describes here. EDIT: I removed the pasted paragraph since some people might find it a spoiler, in-case the demo is released online and they'd rather see it first. Still, you can read the full thing at that link.

There are similar reports from others, including this person who thought it was Portal 3:

The guy from the video clearly jumps the gun, however, as it was just a demo teaser and it in no way represents a full-featured new game from Valve. That said, it'll be interesting to see if anything is announced at Valve's conference tomorrow - which focuses on "Vulken" (aka glNext) and could go anywhere from there. We already expect to see Source 2 footage running on glNext tomorrow, maybe this Aperture demo also serves as a tech demonstration for the new engine?

Personally I doubt we'll get any new games from Valve at GDC. The Aperture teaser was likely just there to show off what virtual reality might look like when it's being used by a familiar game, and Half-Life 3 is likely still in development hell and Gabe lies awake every night trying to figure out a way to break it to the fans without sparking a government overthrow. Still, there's always that dim hope... right?

UPDATE: PCGamer now has confirmation from Doug Lombardi that they did not announce Portal 3 through that teaser and it was purely a tech demo.

I still really want to see this demo in action. I hear it's hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.