Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Bloodlines is a first person action-RPG built on Source engine and based on the World of Darkness setting from White Wolf.

On sale for $13.99 on Steam right now | Get it while it's hot!

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson

And after you do, get the latest community patch: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20386516/VTMBup75_exe

Everyone I know who's played this has said it's one of the most incredible RPG's they've ever played. I've only played for about four hours and am already loving it.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Venatio

This game is really old, it should be cheaper, though I am interested

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TobbRobb

One of my favorite games of all time. Get it NAOE.

Also, use these unofficial patches, it is unplayable without them.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

I really genuinely have wanted to play this since it came out...but I still can't justify spending more than 5 bucks on it. And I actually feel kind of guilty about that.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Max_Cherry

It's a good game,but it has some major problems.

LimpingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By LimpingFish

I can attest to the greatness of VTM: Bloodlines.

It's probably the only PC game to come close to matching the depth of Deus Ex.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By donchipotle

Play as a Malkavian.

Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Morien

I enjoyed VTM: Redemption more, but it's a different type of game, and older. Bloodlines is good too though!

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By fox01313

Hell yes & highly recommended, after playing through (if new to White Wolf Vampire the Masquerade) try one of the balanced clans like the Tremere, Brujah, Gangrel just because there's a decent amount of combat & once you're familiar with the gameworld as others have put it. Try out the malkavian (insane & insightful) clan, pref. female. The dialogue alone with the malkavian is drop dead funny & quite memorable.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By ATrevelan
    @VelvetLore04 said:

Play as a Malkavian.

...the second time around. It's nice to go through as a sane character the first time, allowing you to appreciate the absolute madness of the Malkavians on your return visit.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Kyle

Hmm... I have heard very good things about the game... but very, very bad things about the bugs... Tough call...

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Getz

@ATrevelan said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

Play as a Malkavian.

...the second time around. It's nice to go through as a sane character the first time, allowing you to appreciate the absolute madness of the Malkavians on your return visit.

I'll second this: when you play as a Malkavian the second playthrough, you realize that the Malkavian knows what's going to happen before it happens. Plus all the puns and wordplay make more sense when you already know what's going on.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313
    @Kyle
    The unoffical patches fixed most of the bugs for me as I played it not too long ago & had very little buggy moments. Those patches cleaned up the game quite well & I probably couldn't have made it through the game now without them.

Can also grab them all from fileplanet.
    http://www.fileplanet.com/100454/0/0/0/1/section/Patches
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fjordson
    @shinigami420 said:

You have an La noir avatar so i dont trust your taste in games

I'm sorry you don't like good games.

@Kyle said:

Hmm... I have heard very good things about the game... but very, very bad things about the bugs... Tough call...

Years ago you'd be right to be wary, but this now has over half a decade worth of fixes and tweaks from the community. It' runs great today.

@fox01313 said:
    Hell yes & highly recommended, after playing through (if new to White Wolf Vampire the Masquerade) try one of the balanced clans like the Tremere, Brujah, Gangrel just because there's a decent amount of combat & once you're familiar with the gameworld as others have put it. Try out the malkavian (insane & insightful) clan, pref. female. The dialogue alone with the malkavian is drop dead funny & quite memorable. 
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I started my first playthrough last night as a Tremere. The whole story with their blood magic and how it makes the other clans wary of them sounded really cool.

I've only done a few quests, but I already have a good chunk of playtime behind me. The conversations in this game are SO good. Amazing dialogue from almost every character I meet.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
    @Fjordson said:

@fox01313 said:
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I started my first playthrough last night as a Tremere. The whole story with their blood magic and how it makes the other clans wary of them sounded really cool.  I've only done a few quests, but I already have a good chunk of playtime behind me. The conversations in this game are SO good. Amazing dialogue from almost every character I meet.
    Yeah, just wait till you see Malkavian conversations... 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kyle

@fox01313 said:

@Kyle:
    The unoffical patches fixed most of the bugs for me as I played it not too long ago & had very little buggy moments. Those patches cleaned up the game quite well & I probably couldn't have made it through the game now without them.

Can also grab them all from fileplanet.
    http://www.fileplanet.com/100454/0/0/0/1/section/Patches

@Fjordson said:

@Kyle said:

Years ago you'd be right to be wary, but this now has over half a decade worth of fixes and tweaks from the community. It' runs great today.

Okay, I'm convinced.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I'm interested in playing this, but $13.99 is still a bit too high of a price.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Man I love that game, but I'm still not buying it for 13 bucks. Not when significantly newer and bigger games are 5$ on sale.

Get it down to like... 9,99 or something and I'd have a hard time saying no though.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I have it, and I didn't enjoy the combat at all. Not even "Oh, this game is an old RPG" not enjoying, but a sincere distaste. That coupled with a few early missions that are heavily focused on combat equals a game I became heavily disinterested in, despite loving the actual White Wolf RPGs. I think it's a really interesting port, but being a game that has so much early combat that SUCKS, I was struggling for the first portion. I really wish I had the patience for shitty combat anymore, but it was just too much. I doubt I would have enjoyed much more of the game, unless the setpieces became noticeably better.  

Oh hell, I'm going to install it now. 

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By MisterMouse

I was going to do an L.A. Noire "doubt-option" interview joke, with the comment that was posted... but decided the previous picture had already done the comment enough justice.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Man, I remember playing through this game with some of the... less complete patches.  Still a blast through all of the bugs and issues, and the sheer opportunity they gave you to screw with people in the dialogue was fantastic.  That prince was an asshole, The twin nightclub owners were awesome, the supposedly haunted mansion was fantastic... I really wouldn't mind another go at this.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By owl_of_minerva

13 bucks isn't that big of a deal. It's a substantial game that you can play through multiple times (the different vamp clans are cool), and even though the combat is problematic it's a great RPG in many respects

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fjordson

For those who feel that $13.99 isn't quite low enough, wait it out. This should be on sale until the 10th I believe, or somewhere around there, so there's a chance it could get a daily deal between now and then and go down in price even more.

Though I have to say, there seems to be a lot of game here. And for less than the cost of most downloadable games these days that are a fraction of the size.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TotalEklypse

I miss playing the LARP version of VTM. That was some funny shit. Brujah (sp?)  all the way.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dungbootle

It's a pretty awesome game, Fallout 3 reminds me of it, mostly through the dialogue system.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I got it because I figured it wasn't going to get any cheaper (because if people remembered that the game existed at all, they would've dropped the base price from $20 years ago), although it still has problems running on my computer despite me jacking all the settings down (and despite newer games performing fine). If I get it to run smoothly, you can bet that there will be a blog about it somewhere down the line. I'm not guessing it will grab me the same way Temple of Elemental Evil did, but I might as well see the full extent of what Troika has made for myself.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fjordson
    @ArbitraryWater: That's strange about the performance issues. Do you have the newest community patch installed?
    STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By STUVNING

Who owns the Vampire-license right now? Would be cool if Obsidian could make one of these games. One can dream..

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just purchased it for the sole purpose to have it sitting in my digital library. For the sake of a backup.

I still have the original disk lying around somewhere in my old collection.

It's definitely one of the greats. Games like this are remembered.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cheapandtacky

The early haunted house mission is one of the best levels ever. There's some excellent character design (the sisters that own the nightclub) and dialogue sadly let down by a reliance on combat in places and bugs.

I've never managed to complete it (blocked on the last level with a buggy door that wouldn't open), so you'll definitely need the unofficial patches.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vodun

@Getz said:

@ATrevelan said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

Play as a Malkavian.

...the second time around. It's nice to go through as a sane character the first time, allowing you to appreciate the absolute madness of the Malkavians on your return visit.

I'll second this: when you play as a Malkavian the second playthrough, you realize that the Malkavian knows what's going to happen before it happens. Plus all the puns and wordplay make more sense when you already know what's going on.

Well, that's the whole thing with Malkavians innit, they gave up their sanity to see the world as it really is?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fjordson
    @cheapandtacky said:

The early haunted house mission is one of the best levels ever. There's some excellent character design (the sisters that own the nightclub) and dialogue sadly let down by a reliance on combat in places and bugs.

I've never managed to complete it (blocked on the last level with a buggy door that wouldn't open), so you'll definitely need the unofficial patches.

I just finished the haunted Ocean Front hotel quest for the first time. Fucking shit, that was creepy! 

As for bugs, I've luckily *knock on wood* not run into any thus far. Hopefully the new community patch continues to work.   

The combat can be good and bad, imo. The melee and magic is a lot of fun. As a Tremere, I'm starting to get some really cool Thaumaturgic powers. The guns on the other hand are definitely not as fun. The aforementioned third person stuff works, but the FPS combat feels super weird. Not a big deal thus far, though. I've been able to stick with melee weapons and my blood magic and not really use any guns.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By valrog

Wasn't it cheaper a few days ago?

Hmm, -33% discount either means that it did, or it is yet to go down in price.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

14$ for a 7 year old game? No thank you.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fjordson
    @valrog said:
    Wasn't it cheaper a few days ago?  Hmm, -33% discount either means that it did, or it is yet to go down in price.
    It's usually $19.99. I think.

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Keep an eye on it for the daily deal. Might go down to half that price.
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brians

Bought it and enjoying it.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cataphract1014

I bought it.  STOP BEING FUCKING CHEAP.

This game is fucking amazing.  With the community patch, I have run into no bugs, or any crashes at all.  While the combat isn't perfect, everything and I mean EVERYTHING else in this game is top notch.  Buy it.  Buy it now!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Waiting for it to drop price this week.
    If not, I'll get it last day.

I love the style and atmosphere in the game, its so dark and gritty!

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xealot42

I feel bad that I bought this game for $5 from D2D in 2009 and still haven't played it yet. Curse you backlog!

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fjordson
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    I bought it.  STOP BEING FUCKING CHEAP.  This game is fucking amazing.  With the community patch, I have run into no bugs, or any crashes at all.  While the combat isn't perfect, everything and I mean EVERYTHING else in this game is top notch.  Buy it.  Buy it now!
    Yeah, the community patch seems to work wonders. Sadly, I've never played through this before so I've only heard of how rough the game used to be, but I'm not running into any problems now.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Waiting for it to drop price this week. If not, I'll get it last day.  I love the style and atmosphere in the game, its so dark and gritty!
    Yes. The atmosphere, story, characters and dialogue are all incredible. Most RPG's I've played in the last 4-5 years pale in comparison.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Your loss. It's easily one of my favorite games I've ever played. It's a whole hell of a lot better then a lot of recent RPGs i've played.
    Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Malphye

Can not recommend this game enough. If you have the spare cash and time buy this game.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dagas

@Venatio said:

This game is really old, it should be cheaper, though I am interested

It is one year older than the 360, it's not that old. Besides Half Life 2 is from the same year and still holds up. I agree it should be cheaper though. I've seen it in bargain bins for €5 for years. However I paid €60 back in 2004 and it was well worth it.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By niamahai

but.. its 13 bucks to Activision.. not 13 bucks to the Vampire Franchise Resurrection fund...

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nentisys

If you like RPGs, you will propably love this!

The dialog, the exploration... ahhh.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By niamahai

@Nentisys said:

If you like RPGs, you will propably love this!

The dialog, the exploration... ahhh.

hows the fucking?

i recall the game begins with you fucking another vampire thus making you a vampire.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By tim_the_corsair

A tip to anyone who dislikes the combat in this game: pump points into stealth.

The game becomes very easy when you can sneak up on whoever you want and feed on them, I barely fought for the entire game (played my first time through as the ummm dilettante artsy vampires, can't think of the clan name).

Pump the rest into talking, and you'll be fine until at least the end game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fjordson
    Yes! It has that old school big ass rpg world with a knife in your back world feeling.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#49  Edited By BeachThunder

Hm, I'll think about it...

Someone really should post a summary in haiku form explaining why thing game is good :o

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cwaff

@BeachThunder:

Vampires a plenty

Fun story and dialogue

Buy this game now sir

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.