Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Bloodlines is a first person action-RPG built on Source engine and based on the World of Darkness setting from White Wolf.

Steam Daily Deal for $5 one day only

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This game is fucking incredible and it basically cost nothing, one day only.

I picked this up on sale last year just for the hell of it and it turned out to be one of my favorite games ever. There's still nothing else quite like it, a mordern Fallout-style RPG set in the modern day against a back drop of vampires trying to blend into and survive in a society that hates and reviles them while fighting off the unspeakable terrors of the night.

The story is fucking great, the characters are fucking great, all your abilities are fun to use and each of the Vampire subtypes has a rally distinct play style too them. The best ones change the rules of the game completely, giving you the ability to speak to inanimate objects or having your character be so hideous that even a normal person seeing you breaks the vampire Masquerade code.

It's got hell of modes too, people are still developing new content for this thing. Some are just minor tweaks and fixes like adding in the cut Histories from the character creator that let you give your Vampire a distinct flavor with additional advantages and disadvantages while others add in whole new clans of Vampire to play as and original quest lines.

These mother fuckers went out and did VO for their mod, that is fucking dedication. 

The only real problem is that, towards the end, it does give into repetition a bit. Some of the earlier segments feel straight out of a Hitman game in terms of complexity and possible routes, there is almost always multiple, and often clever, solutions to a problem. It does give way near the end though where the game drops off and becomes incredibly combat heavy with repetitive fights taking up the last few hours, it's really a god damn shame. This game is famous for being a prime example of what cuts can do to a game in development, Troika still managed to create an incredible product but if they'd been given the time and funds they needed it could have been fucking legendary.

I really wish more RPG developers would take a note from this game (BETHESDA), because it really does do an fucking incredible job of making you feel like you have an identity and agency in the world. You actually feel like a character, not some faceless, power hungry demi-god.

It also helps that the writing and voice acting is fucking incredible.

Now I want to go install it again, why are you not playing this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Crap. You have reminded me that I still have this game installed on my computer. I mean, I'm still attempting to finish The Witcher, but I was planning on coming back after I have finished that.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By blindisaac

I bought back during the Halloween sale and can not get it to run on my computer.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

I'mma second this: Bloodlines is basically one of the greatest RPGs ever. Play it twice, the second time as a Malkavian, and you'll get a totally different experience. Endlessly replayable, great story and characters. Combat is a little wonky but not unplayable. Don't spec in guns...

Shit now I gotta play it again.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

If $5 is basically nothing you should buy everyone a copy :P

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Now if only someone could port this up to the Portal 2 version of the Source engine...

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @BeachThunder said:

I already bought people Secret of the Magic Crystals and Chessmaster Challenge, there is only so much charity I can give.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BeachThunder said:

Exactly. I'll get Paint.NET fired up if need be.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

Anyone buying it will need thisFucking trust me on that one, the unofficial patches are NOT OPTIONAL.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By fox01313

@blindisaac: Go into the forums for the links on the unofficial patches made for this, that should help on getting this gem running & was able to get it working on Windows7 recently though yeah on it's own from steam is a bit hard to run/play. Too bad steam just doesn't put these unofficial patches in the updates for this to work automatically. GLHB!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    @BeachThunder said:

I already bought people Secret of the Magic Crystals and Chessmaster Challenge, there is only so much charity I can give.
    You also gave me The Binding Of Isaac, which costs... 5$. I don't have any money now so i'll have to buy it another time. It's a shame.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikeGosot said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BeachThunder said:

You also gave me The Binding Of Isaac, which costs... 5$. I don't have any money now so i'll have to buy it another time. It's a shame.
    Which reminds me that I still somehow have two copies of Isaac in my inventory, which is weird because I'm almost 100% sure I gave away all the ones I promised to.

Also Painkiller: Black Edition.

I should really give these away or something
    HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HellBrendy

Bought it the last time it was at give-away. To bad I can't get it to run on Win 7.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HellBrendy said:

Bought it the last time it was at give-away. To bad I can't get it to run on Win 7.

Windows XP master race.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikeGosot
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    @MikeGosot said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BeachThunder said:

Which reminds me that I still somehow have two copies of Isaac in my inventory, which is weird because I'm almost 100% sure I gave away all the ones I promised to. Also Painkiller: Black Edition.  I should really give these away or something
    I should really play Painkiller too. I will keep an eye open in case you make a thread giving Painkiller: Black Edition away.
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Brians

My advice: Get It, Get It, Get It!!!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By buft

I fucked up, I bought two worlds 2 for $12 with the DLC which left 1p in my steam wallet and then 40 minutes later i saw this :(

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish said:
    @BeachThunder said:

I already bought people Secret of the Magic Crystals
    You're a saint. 
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By buft

@LordXavierBritish said:

@MikeGosot said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BeachThunder said:

Which reminds me that I still somehow have two copies of Isaac in my inventory, which is weird because I'm almost 100% sure I gave away all the ones I promised to. Also Painkiller: Black Edition. I should really give these away or something

is that an offer ?

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By countinhallways

Buy this game and play this game.

Fin.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blindisaac

@fox01313 said:

@blindisaac: Go into the forums for the links on the unofficial patches made for this, that should help on getting this gem running & was able to get it working on Windows7 recently though yeah on it's own from steam is a bit hard to run/play. Too bad steam just doesn't put these unofficial patches in the updates for this to work automatically. GLHB!

I tried to do what they said but it still wasnt working. I might try again while I am thinking. I do still want to play this.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jnal
    @LordXavierBritish I just bought this the day before for full price. Good game but so annoyed right now. Also been getting crashes at beginning of cutscenes unless I disable sound.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jnal said:
    @LordXavierBritish I just bought this the day before for full price. Good game but so annoyed right now. Also been getting crashes at beginning of cutscenes unless I disable sound.
    You might want to contact Steam support, they tend to be very generous concerning such things.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I've seen much more outlandish requests fulfilled. They might be able to credit your steam wallet with the difference, worst case scenario they just say no.
    Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jnal
    @LordXavierBritish Thanks for the tip I'll try it when I get back from work tonight.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

Fair warning anyone running Win 7 (x64) will need to wrestle with the damn game to get it to work. It can run on win 7 but requires some effort. Worth the $5 though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.