Triple Choice: Vanquish, Enslaved, or Singularity?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

All are around $15, looking for something to play in this downtime, anyone have any input? I'm looking for something fun, not really worried about game length, just something that keeps my attention and is worth a playthrough. All these are games I missed when they came out, so looking to remedy that with at least one, so any suggestions?

#2 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -
#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Vanquish. That was easy.

#4 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10348 posts) -

All three are great games. What kind of game do you want to play most? An FPS with some time power-ish stuff, the best third person shooter out there, or a platform-y action adventure-y game?

Edit: The fact that this is in the Vanquish forum suggests what one you really want to play.

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

Buy them all. There's no excuse to NOT play them all.

#6 Posted by Voxus (314 posts) -

Enslaved.

#7 Posted by Ramone (2954 posts) -

They're all great games, Vanquish has great gameplay, Enslaved has a really interesting story and Singularity has a combination of the two.

#8 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (473 posts) -

Enslaved by a mile

#9 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

I'd go enslaved, singularity then vanquish. All are great, but enslaved I think stands out from the other two

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Vanquish. 

#11 Posted by Undeadpool (4902 posts) -

Sssssssssssssorta depends on what you're looking for. Vanquish is pure, dumb, amazingly fun action (let's call it cotton candy), Enslaved doesn't play great, but it's got an amazing cast and a great story (let's call it beef jerky), and Singularity is, actually hilariously, between those two (...I have no idea what the food equivalent of that would be).

#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Vanquish. Are people actually recommending Enslaved? Ha!

#13 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

I liked Enslaved. Haven't played the others. Sounds like they are all worth checking out. Maybe I'll do so, as well.

#14 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

From everything I hear Vanquished is the best out of the three but don't count out Enslaved. That game was fun, had an interesting story, and was just all around good. (I know I have a way with words. :p)

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9586 posts) -

Oh man. They are all around the same quality to me. I felt about the same when I finished them too. Well, I guess I felt a little worse when I finished Enslaved. I'd pick Vanquish for now but if they stay cheap I would get all of them at some point. They're all pretty good titles that got lost in the shuffle because they weren't of the quality of some bigger titles that had more money and staff behind them.

#16 Posted by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

Enslaved is the most worthy of those games. Great story.

#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (7913 posts) -

Enslaved because everyone needs more Andy Sirkis.

Then Vanquish.

#18 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

Enslaved is ok, it's got nice characters and story, but the combat has zero depth and gets super repetitive after long plays. The game is pretty short, but I still felt like it overstayed it's welcome.

Vanquish, on the other hand, is awesome. The story is dumb, but it doesn't matter because it's just there to set up the action, which is amazing. There is a nice variety in the weapons, and rocketing around and going into slow motion to headshot enemy's is a thrill that never gets old.

Never played Singularity, but Vanquish reviewed better and is probably cheaper. Get Vanquish.

#19 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I liked Enslaved the most out of all of those.

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

Vanquish for sure. Awesome game. Enslaved is great too, just is a completely way.

#21 Edited by believer258 (11563 posts) -

Vanquish is a third person shooter whose gameplay is as good as its writing is bad. Singularity is dumb, but in more subtle ways, and is more of a Bioshock-y FPS but it's important to note that it very well differentiates itself from that game.

I haven't played Enslaved, but apparently it is the opposite of Vanquished. Its story is as good as its gameplay is bad.

All three are well worth checking out.

#22 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

Vanquish > Singularity > Enslaved

#23 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Vanquish because it is third person shooting perfected.

#24 Posted by vorpalparasite (271 posts) -

Enslaved, then Vanquish.

#25 Posted by RTSlord (1198 posts) -

Vanquish

#26 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

Sssssssssssssorta depends on what you're looking for. Vanquish is pure, dumb, amazingly fun action (let's call it cotton candy), Enslaved doesn't play great, but it's got an amazing cast and a great story (let's call it beef jerky), and Singularity is, actually hilariously, between those two (...I have no idea what the food equivalent of that would be).

Hilarious in regards to the food equivalent (which would be fluffed beef, if we want to be topical) or the way in which it falls between the two?

#27 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

Singularity would be licorice. Think about it.

#28 Edited by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Having played none outside of the demos, I would have to say Vanquish. The QL of Enslaved really rubbed me the wrong way and SIngularity seems like another bad Raven shooter, but with a new gimmick this time.

edit:
@MooseyMcMan said:

Edit: The fact that this is in the Vanquish forum suggests what one you really want to play.
Basically this.
#29 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

I did have a great time playing the demo for Vanquish, so I'm sorta leaning that way. Surprised by all the response, thanks guys, seems there is a Vanquish lean, with some good support for Enslaved. Think I might just have to get Vanquish and enjoy killing stuff super stylishly. Wanted to play the other two when they came out and never got around to it, might have to pick them up later, but I think Vanquish might be the winner, the demo is really fun.

#30 Posted by Undeadpool (4902 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Undeadpool said:

Hilarious in regards to the food equivalent (which would be fluffed beef, if we want to be topical) or the way in which it falls between the two?

Both, actually. And aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

@Nottle said:

@Undeadpool said:

Singularity would be licorice. Think about it.

Thought about it. Love it.

#31 Posted by CornBREDX (4754 posts) -

They're all good. Play the one you want to.

#32 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Vanquish. I lost interest while playing Singularity and Enslaved.

#33 Posted by stryker1121 (1323 posts) -

@Carnage1290: All three are good, although i'd put Enslaved at the bottom of that trio. I'm playing Vanquish right now and it's a ton of fun. Singularity was one of my biggest surprise games of the last couple of years. So, get both Vanquish and Singularity on the cheap and don't look back.

#34 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

Vanquish. Rocket slide into cover, jump over cover in slow motion, blow giant robot across the room with a shotgun blast to the chest, decapitate him with another shot when you land, dive past, blow him back across the room before he regains his footing. Hi-speed robotic suit powered Gun-Fu. It's fantastic.

#35 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Among those I'd say Enslaved but Majin is like $6 and I enjoyed that more.

#36 Posted by HatKing (5768 posts) -

I really, really liked Singularity. The story in that game just screams Xbox/Ps2 era to me. It's insane but thought out, risky but not pandering. There are some pretty cool ideas in place there and it's definitely worth playing through.

Enslaved seemed like a fine game, but I never finished it.

Vanquish, I'm beginning to think I need to give that a shot. The demo seemed just okay, but maybe it wasn't the best demo.

#37 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Enslaved. Vanquish is overrated by miles.

#38 Posted by WaiteyBulger (73 posts) -

NOt singularity, unless you want a little Nolan North

#39 Posted by pweidman (2284 posts) -

I played all three and the only one I didn't finish was Vanquish. Just got boring and tedious for me as I remember. I guess I should go back and try to finish it.

Anyway I'd play Enslaved first easily. And it has some kickass DLC. The little fat dude is an amazing character...can't remember his name now ;P.

#40 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Definitely Vanquish. It's a solid action game from start to finish and it has that nice Shinji MIkami flavor to it that all fans of his work can feel to it.

Singularity is not a bad game. It has a lot of cool game mechanics but for the most part, it's basically a BioShock clone with guns in one hand and superpowers in the other, hidden audio tapes, silent protagonist, supernatural monsters, a stereotypical mentor, etc. The game definitely lacks substance but if you're willing to forgive its flaws and just want some good, plain action then I'd say give it a shot.

I haven't played Enslaved so I've no comment on that.

#41 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Singularity is definitely a hidden gem, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

#42 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I thought Enslaved was terrible so I say Vanquish.

#43 Edited by NMC2008 (1227 posts) -

I only finished Enslaved, so yeah. Played Vanquish up to a point, don't quite remember, and played Singularity for about 2 hours or so.

I would go with Enslaved or Vanquish, can't speak much on Singularity, with that said, get Enslaved.

#44 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

You know the right choice.

#45 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

If I had 45 bucks I'd get them all. Lots of good word about Vanquish on the boards these days, but hard to say if it's legit or just echoes of the bombcast. I haven't really played any of the three, but Singularity doesn't appear to be on par with the other two games in your list. I played the Enslaved demo a little, and though the combat was mostly unenjoyable, the graphics and effects are impressive - though I didn't like much of the design. The cinematic effects are above average too. I played the Vanquish demo when it first came out but I don't remember it much; didn't love it, that's for sure. I'll go check it out again I guess.

#46 Posted by NMC2008 (1227 posts) -

Don't take the advice of the Vanquish lovers, do this, go to youtube and look up each game's video review, preferrably Classic Game Room HD reviews and go from there. Nevermind!

#47 Posted by shivermetimbers (754 posts) -

Singularity for me. It's has a goofy fun story mixed with goofy fun action. While not very challenging, is probably the most pure fun out of the three. Vanquish runs out of tricks early on, while Singularity keeps on with the surprises. All three should probably be played, but Singularity gets my vote.

#48 Posted by Fearbeard (822 posts) -

Enslaved, then Singularity, then Vanquish

#49 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

@Soapy86: That is a pretty strong argument.

#50 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Enslaved, easily.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.