Vanquish--worth a buy?

#1 Posted by stryker1121 (1624 posts) -

I'm looking for a fun, relatively mindless shooter in the run up to the story-heavy ME3. Vanquish looks like it fits the bill. It's scored well (and the price is right), but some opinions from real life gamers (just like you!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by BonOrbitz (2285 posts) -

The demo was fun, so check that out. I hear that it's pretty cheap right now so go for it.

#3 Posted by skyline7284 (509 posts) -

What is the price?

#4 Posted by stryker1121 (1624 posts) -

@skyline7284 said:

What is the price?

About $20 new

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11485 posts) -

The game is extremely fun. It's kinda short-ish for a game with no multiplayer (which is to say it's standard shooter length), and it doesn't have much in the way of replay-ability unless you want to play it on a higher difficulty level. But, since it's a couple year old game that didn't sell well to begin with, it's probably pretty cheap, and I would say well worth your money.

#6 Posted by Hosstile17 (769 posts) -

I am actually playing it right now. That game is super-crazy. I picked it up on a Gamefly sale for like $8. A $60 game it is not. But, for a deal, it is a really fun and pretty example of modern Japanese action games.

#7 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

@stryker1121: If you like a different take on cover base shooter, it's good. It's crazy Japanese style, and plays well. With that said, I did not enjoy it(I recently purchased it because it was dirt cheap). I just found it boring but I know I'm in the minority. Give it a shot. It is what people consider as "hidden jewel."

#8 Edited by Chop (1999 posts) -

Hell fucking yes.

On a purely mechanical level, I would say that it's the best third person shooter currently available. Sure, almost everything else is lacking but man...that gameplay.

#9 Posted by SSully (4401 posts) -

Shit yeah its worth it. Especially at its current price of like 20 bucks new. Its a great action game. It's simple, over the top, action packed nonsense.

#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5538 posts) -

Get it! But don't play it like Gears... always be knee rocketing!

#11 Posted by stryker1121 (1624 posts) -

Hmmm..the GB community has spoken. I'm probably gonna give it a go. Don't care much if it has a half-assed story, as long as it provides batshit crazy action and 'splosions. Totally in the mood for a palate cleanser after the RPG-fest of the last few months. Thanks, all!

#12 Posted by Vitor (2834 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

Hmmm..the GB community has spoken. I'm probably gonna give it a go. Don't care much if it has a half-assed story, as long as it provides batshit crazy action and 'splosions. Totally in the mood for a palate cleanser after the RPG-fest of the last few months. Thanks, all!

Ignore the story and you'll be fine. Holy hell is the action awesome and satisfying. Short game but, for less than $30, you really can't go wrong. It looks stunning also and has some set pieces that almost put Uncharted to shame.

#13 Posted by DocPorpoise (117 posts) -

the game was pretty fun, that last boss fight though.. ugh.

#14 Posted by deerokus (578 posts) -

Very fun game!

#15 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Eff yeah!

I had a total blast with Vanquish. It's non-stop thrills and frills and made it abundantly clear that Platinum is a studio to reckon with.

#16 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1906 posts) -

This game is a ton of fun and easily one of my favorite shooters from the past few years.

#17 Posted by benspyda (2054 posts) -

Yes. It is a great little action title and full of the crazy you expect from platinum.

#18 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -

Loved it. Although it's quite short, it should be good for multiple playthroughs. The shooting and moving around is just that much fun. $20? Go for it.

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Yes. Hell yes. Just do it. IT'S AMAZING!

#20 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@nohthink said:

"hidden jewel."

Gem. Hidden gem.

#21 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

Only if you like videogames.

#22 Posted by buzz_clik (7038 posts) -

It was going to be my personal GOTY in 2010 until I played Red Dead Redemption that December, so that usurped the title. Vanquish is an amazing slice of twitchy, finely honed action that anybody who likes shooters cannot afford to miss. Oh, and it may sound weird to mention, but the controls are excellent.

Man, I need to go back and get that last cheevo when I get the chance. Damn you, Challenge Stage 4!

#23 Edited by UlquioKani (1238 posts) -

1000 times Yes

Story not great, gameplay probably better than gears

#24 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

The correct answer: Yes

#25 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -

Absolutely. Best action game this 'generation'. Buy it. 

#26 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

It's okay, for $20 it's probably worth a gamble.

#27 Posted by Mnemoidian (994 posts) -

I got it new. I expected Bayonetta-level insanity - I was disappointed.

Not to say isn't insane and great. It's just not Bayonetta-grade :)

Worth it at full-price. IMO.

#28 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

It's awesome!

#29 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1270 posts) -

I played it last summer and didn't really like it. I like gears style of tps much more than vanquish but I can see how some people can enjoy it. Just wasn't my type of game I guess.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (15275 posts) -

Yes. Buy it and don't look back. Game is well worth $20!

#31 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Forgot about this game! $20 is a deal. Now that know this, I'm going to pick this up!

#32 Posted by Little_Socrates (5731 posts) -

Absolutely.

#33 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Yes, but the story and voice acting is all laugh worthy. A good 20 dollar purchase.

#34 Posted by mrcraggle (1988 posts) -

Definite buy. I bought it for around £10 although I have yet to complete it. I set it to the hardest difficulty and boy does it get tough. It certainly has a unique upgrade mechanic though whereby you upgrade your weapon you don't use. In the game, you will get upgrades that can be picked up or by not using a weapon, picking up ammo for a gun that is full, will change that ammo into an upgrade. I think that's how it worked anyway. It's been awhile since I played it.

#35 Posted by Redbullet685 (6105 posts) -

Definitely for $20

#36 Posted by Chemin (633 posts) -

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, it is.

#37 Posted by LaserLambert (173 posts) -

I picked it up recently for cheap, and it is great, I haven't beaten it yet, but i hear it is short. i have been playing on hard mode, so maybe if you aren't looking to do that it might be shorter.

#38 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -

Hell yeah, just don't do the challenges if you have anger problems like myself...

#39 Posted by masternater27 (921 posts) -

I had fun with it. Not enough to keep plowing through it to the end, but what I played was fun. Also Starship Troopers references all over the place.

#40 Posted by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

Absolutely yes, the locomotion of your character makes the game so damn fun.

#41 Posted by chrissedoff (2178 posts) -

nop

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.