Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Venetica

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 11, 2011

In this German action-RPG, Scarlett, the daughter of Death itself, sets out to rescue her ghoulish father from an evil Necromancer who threatens to destroy the world.

Will Venetica Scratch My Itch?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Just about done with The Witcher 2 (2 playthroughs) and I've still got that itch for a story-driven RPG. Just ordered a dirtcheap copy of Venetica for PC.

Now you PC RPG diehards... will Venetica scratch my itch?

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By easthill

It was an enjoyable romp when I played it, but totally forgettable. Dunno what will happen if you fire it up straight after The Witcher 2, hope you're able to clear your head before starting.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rattle618

Dont do that to yourself, you will regret it.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By valrog

Hm. Just don't compare it to The Witcher 2. Other than that, it's not really a bad game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

Played the Prologue. Killed the first Boss. Entered Venice.

First I got angry. First quest was bugged. Hotfix installed. In a foul mood. Incessantly called Scarlett a whore for the first half hour of play. Laughed at the low production values. Laughable animations and plain bad VOs. Then leveled-up the first couple of times. Nice pacing. Lots of fighting. I like it.

Won me over pretty quickly. Looking forward to tomorrow's session. Venetica is much better than its first impression. Gonna be loads of fun.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlasherMan

Interesting. I was considering it, but the QL turned me off on it.

Have you tried Risen perhaps? I have that on the shelf, still unopened. Need to get around to it sometime.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog
    @SlasherMan: Risen is an incredible game. If you're a Gothic fan (Gothic, Arcania does not qualify as a Gothic game), I'm sure you will love it, as it's basically a spiritual successor to Gothic II. Also, I see you like The Witcher, and it's similar in the way that it doesn't hold your hand, so I think you will enjoy it. Give it a try.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

There are so many story driven RPG's you could be playing..
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PillClinton

only if you ask her to. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli

@valrog said:

@SlasherMan: Risen is an incredible game. If you're a Gothic fan (Gothic, Arcania does not qualify as a Gothic game), I'm sure you will love it, as it's basically a spiritual successor to Gothic II. Also, I see you like The Witcher, and it's similar in the way that it doesn't hold your hand, so I think you will enjoy it. Give it a try.

Still waiting on Risen to drop a 'lil further in price. I'm was HUGE Gothic fan until Gothic 3 (which is like the most ambitious game and really underrated, but also all over the place too). Guess it's telling that Arcania has had a much steeper pricedrop already (and hence I've played that). Same goes for Divinity 2, which should be quite decent on PC (wierd that GB only did a  console quicklook).

Risen 2 is looking absolutely fantastic. Gamestar put up a nice preview yesterday. Really hope Piranha Bytes achieves its international breakthrough with it. From where I'm sitting, they're awfully close to being the best at crafting open world exploration RPGs. They should be mentioned in the same breath as Bethesda and their RPGs really.

Romantic Islands and Pirate Ships
    Romantic Islands and Pirate Ships

Swashbuckling Pirates
    Swashbuckling Pirates

Caves with Monstas and Swashbuckling Pirate
    Caves with Monstas and Swashbuckling Pirate

I hope for some gameplay footage of Risen 2 from E3 2011.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Axersia
    @SlasherMan said:
    Ryan has a way of making you turned off by anything he's playing. For example, he wasn't even using the combo system in the QL meaning it took him like a dozen hits to kill an enemy instead of 3. Don't *ever* let a Ryan QL influence your purchasing decision. He's a cool guy and all, but he often has no genuine interest in whatever he's playing and does a terrible job of demoing it. 

Venetica is a fine game with a few rough edges and you should be able to have a good time with it as long as you know what you're getting into. It isn't anything like those hardcore PC RPGs and really just an action-adventure with an inconsequential leveling system -- so keep that in mind.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @Axersia said:

@SlasherMan said:

Ryan has a way of making you turned off by anything he's playing. For example, he wasn't even using the combo system in the QL meaning it took him like a dozen hits to kill an enemy instead of 3. Don't *ever* let a Ryan QL influence your purchasing decision. He's a cool guy and all, but he often has no genuine interest in whatever he's playing and does a terrible job of demoing it.  Venetica is a fine game with a few rough edges and you should be able to have a good time with it as long as you know what you're getting into. It isn't anything like those hardcore PC RPGs and really just an action-adventure with an inconsequential leveling system -- so keep that in mind.
    I'm really enjoying its straightforwardness after The Witcher 2. It's simple, but effective. Digging the whole 'switch weapons' deal. Reminds me of that Squaresoft game for PS1 with the heavy focus on weapon-types, only way less conveluted... 

Vagrant Story. That's it. Never finished it way back when... maybe I shall go and attempt a playthrough one day.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog
    @Seppli: The only thing that bothered me with Gothic 3 was the lack of a real guild system, really. Oh, and it felt disjointed at times, but other than that, it's not a complete failure. Thing is, it's getting undeserved hate by people who can't be bothered to patch the game. Well, it's their loss anyway. That being said, Forsaken Gods and Arcania should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Gothic. That was an exception.

Other than that, you should definitely pick up Risen when you get the chance. Also, I can't possibly waiting for Risen 2. The setting will be really refreshing (I'm still sad that they canceled Armada of the Damned), and there should really be more RPGs with pirate settings, if you ask me.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli
    @valrog

Wouldn't be surprised if it resurfaced this E3. It got pretty good previews and was almost done. It's just Disney who didn't want to taint the family friendly image of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' franchise. Apparently there was whores in Tortuga and other pirating tropes, which didn't sit too well with them.

Hopefully it's getting rebranded as an original IP and released by a subsidiary publishing company - Disney certainly has a ton of them. Of course, that all makes perfect sense and Disney likely has little to none.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog
    @Seppli: Whores in Tortuga? How dare they! Yeah, making it a whole new IP would work, but then they would probably complain about poor sales or other nonsense. Logic does not apply to most publishers.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Do not get the game. Its quite bad. Controls like crap. Has bad voice acting. The story is stupid at times. Its a budget title for a reason 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By valrog
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Do not get the game. Its quite bad. Controls like crap. Has bad voice acting. The story is stupid at times. Its a budget title for a reason 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By xyzygy

Risen 2 does look quite good, I've been following the game since it was announced. I found the first for 20 bucks and enjoyed it, while accepting it's flaws. Namely the low production values. BUT, I actually found the voicing in that game quite good and humourous.  

If you're really looking for something special you need to play the new edition of Divinity 2 that just came out, Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a remastered edition of both Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance bundled into one game. It optimizes the game technically (it's such a beautiful looking game now), fixes so many bugs, and makes the storyline something you'd actually want to play through instead of that bullshit cliffhanger they leave you with in vanilla Ego Draconis. I played it on 360 and had a blast, I'd imagine it's much better on PC too. Even the 360 version looked gorgeous.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By sameeeeam

You should at least buy her dinner before you ask her to "scratch your itch". 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Play Two Worlds II instead.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By salad10203
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SlasherMan
    @valrog: Great. Looking forward to finally checking it out when I have the time!

@Axersia: It wasn't really Ryan's attitude playing the game, I rarely ever get affected by the GB staff's opinions because I find myself disagreeing with them about games more often than not. Truth is, I was expecting something Fable TLC-ish from this game, and what I saw from the game in the QL didn't really grab me like I thought it would.
    That said, I can easily look past a game's rough edges and jank if I can find some substance and a few redeeming qualities (STALKER SoC and the first Witcher were some of my favourite games in recent years).

I'll keep the game in mind for when I'm out of an action RPG to play based on the recommendations here.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli
    @SlasherMan:

If you can see past extremely ugly character designs (outside of Scarlett everyone's looking like they're carved out of moldy breadpaste) and sub-par presentation (cheesy writting and bad cutscenes and even worse VOs amongst other things) - it kinda has a decent pacing and flow and its simplistic combat system and character progression work for me. Overall it's certainly nothing to write home about.

Another of its faults is the emotionally unavailable protagonist scarlett, who whines after her dead lover all game long. That's just a psychological no-go! Who wants to hang around a chick hung-up on her ex? Usually not digging playing females in RPGs and if I do, it's on the second playthrough. Emotionally unvailable chicks though... well fuck them up their uptight keyster! Such a thing is a textbook beginner's error. Amateur gamedesign!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli
    @salad10203 said:

Have you played  Divinity 2 ?  

Nope - it's on my 'when it hits the bargain bin' list together with Risen and Two Worlds 2.

@SlasherMan: 

Just finished Venetica. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 stars. Halfway through I started skipping through all the cutscenes. Just barely skimming its contents. The story and writing and VOs are just that horrible. Overall it's kina like taking Zelda's style of fighting and combining it with a story-driven RPG and taking out all challenge and charm out of it.

I'd not recommend Venetica to anyone. Subpar on all fronts. Most enjoyable is combat, but it's completely devoid of challenge. So if mindlessly bashing on like 5 enemy types and doing like 5 semi-challenging wanna-be Zelda-style boss encounters sounds like a good time to you - you might be okay with breezing through this game in like 10-15 hours. Just skip/skim all the dialog and story and squint to make it seem less ugly.

Amateur hour gamedesign all around.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By fox01313

Having finally gotten around to playing it (renting from gamefly & glad I didn't buy it in the store when seeing it on sale for under $20), I'd recommend other average looking fantasy RPG's played lately (Two Worlds 2 or Sacred2) over this. At least with those 2 RPG sequels, the worlds are expansive enough & while the writing is rather average, there's plenty in the game while Venetica seems quite more linear/limited with some bad controls/camera.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By valrog

Why isn't this game on Steam I wonder?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.