Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vib-Ribbon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 12, 1999

As the wire frame rabbit Vibri, run though obstacle courses generated by any music CD placed into the PlayStation.

Why is Vib Ribbon not available on PSN?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

For the unaware Vib Ribbon was a unique PS1 game that allowed users to use their own music to create levels. The layout of the levels was determined by the song's beats and tempo.. The game was a lot of fun and the games original music was great but it became even better because you could use your own music.

After watching a video of the game online in a bout of nostalgia I was left wondering, why isn't this game on PSN?

The game could easily use your music playlist on your console's hard drive and the game's unique art style is timeless as well, which would be perfect for a HD remake. Take a look for yourself:

The game's creator Masaya Matsuura expressed interest in making a PSN version, but that was all the way back in 2007. The game was very short on its own and it would often get repetitive at times. Despite this issues and the game's limited appeal I'm sure it would work as $5-$10 game.

Sony still own the rights to the game and with games like Audiosurf being very popular I'm sure Sony could expect a decent number of sales.Oh well, If wishes were horses...

So would you guys want a remake of the game?

Also I'm curious if anyone has tried playing their PS1 version of Vib Ribbon on the PS3? Does the play your own music feature work?

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By shaunk

I remember when Justin Calvert talked about how when he moved from the UK to work at Gamespot US everyone in the US office asked him if he had Vib Ribbon because it wasn't released in the US at the time. That game looks sick.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

I've played it on my PS3 a bunch, you can still put in other cd's to play those songs. Fantastic game once you get its weird timing down.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189

It came on a PS1 demo disc. Shit was banging

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Masha2932

@GunstarRed: So how does this work on the PS3? Do you put in the vib ribbon disc, let it load, remove it then put in a CD? If you remove a game from a PS3 doesn't it default to the XMB?

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bear

My PS3 won't recognize the disc, but that probably because I have a North American PS3 and a Japanese copy of the game. I have to resort to swapping it with a North American PS1 game on my PS2 to get it to run.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

This is a good goddamn question.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

@Masha2932: It just goes to a screen with a flowery scribble and asks to swap disks and after about 15-20 secs loads the CD. I just checked, yup totally doesn't quit to XMB.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't think it was released in the US, so that might have something to do with it. Also, getting its core mechanic to work might be pure hell, since I'm not sure the PS3 can do music CDs. (Keep in mind that I don't own a PS3.)

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Masha2932

@GunstarRed: Sweet, that sounds great. I wasn't sure the PS3 could play the game. Now if I can only find a reasonable price for the game on Ebay.

Odc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No you have your wish!

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@odc said:

No you have your wish!

I think we need to keep resurrecting old ass threads with this message. Keep the mods on their feet.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13 chaser324  Moderator

Issue resolved. Locking thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.