36 Comments
Posted by LiquidPenguins

Anime cash grab

Good job square enix

Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy

Liam O'Brien puttin' on his War voice is all I got out of this trailer.

Posted by aceofspudz

I got kind of excited when I saw the cactuar.

Posted by Morningstar

Yeah, not interested in this.

Posted by iceman228433

I love that every trailer makes this game make less sense.

Posted by el_tajij

I'm totally Ok with more Lightning. One of the best characters in the Final Fantasy franchise, in my opinion.

Posted by MeatSim

Trying to take someones giant sword is not cool.

Posted by Elwoodan

that is some kojima-level nonsense dialogue right there. And I could listen to Liam O' Brien be angry all day.

Posted by shinboy630
Posted by Mastertarvin

Holy shit! Loot that changes the characters appearance!? I'm sold, I'm always a sucker for loot games; especially ones that change the characters appearance.

Posted by Albedo12

Just as long as it isn't the same tedious combat system from the last two games. Sucked the fun right out of them.

Edited by TranceQuina

I've never cringed that hard at costume DLC before.

I'm ready for Tetsuya Nomura to bow out of this franchise. This third-grade-poetry approach to storytelling is seriously grating at this point.

Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Posted by bigjeffrey

MUST HAVE ALL THE COSTUMES

Edited by kerse

I'm still looking forward to this, but I gotta agree, the way they do jrpg trailers is not great these days. The totally out of context, cryptic lines from some character you don't see in the trailer (to ensure people who never played the previous ones have no idea whats going on, I even played the previous two and I'm not 100% sure who that voice is, I think I know but I'm not sure) is pretty dumb.

But whatever I still enjoyed the last two so I'm looking forward to this.

Posted by Raven10

@elwoodan said:

that is some kojima-level nonsense dialogue right there. And I could listen to Liam O' Brien be angry all day.

This was pretty much my response. Does any of that mean anything to anybody?

Edited by TheManWithNoPlan

I still forget I have the first FF 13 sequel sitting on my shelf untouched.

I might give this as chance though.

Posted by Gorehorn

@albedo12 said:

Just as long as it isn't the same tedious combat system from the last two games. Sucked the fun right out of them.

Looked over someone's shoulder at GamesCom. What they played seemed like an evolution of it that took some ideas from Character-Action-Games. Different attacks mapped to your buttons, active block, stuff like that. And only Lightning as a combatant (but that might have been early tutorial stages). Seemed a little weird to me, didn't stick around to try it myself, though.

Posted by MEATBALL

Listen to all of that nonsensical bullshit!

Posted by Gorehorn

@raven10 said:

@elwoodan said:

that is some kojima-level nonsense dialogue right there. And I could listen to Liam O' Brien be angry all day.

This was pretty much my response. Does any of that mean anything to anybody?

If this story plays out similiar to FF XIII-2 it will be TERRIBLE. In that game they took the basic premise of time travel and droned on and on about philosophical aspects of it without any attempt at a more reasonable approach to paradoxes or similar effects. It was a whole lot of nonsense to cover up the fact that the story in the end boiled down to Bad-guy-might-erase-existence-by-killing-one-person.

Edited by Mayor_McCheese

So bland female Cloud can now wear Cloud's stuff as she spouts out more monotony. This hole is not made for me.

Edited by BoOzak
@trancequina said:

I've never cringed that hard at costume DLC before.

I'm ready for Tetsuya Nomura to bow out of this franchise. This third-grade-poetry approach to storytelling is seriously grating at this point.

Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Doesnt Nomura just design the costumes for FF games? I dont think he has anything to do with story. I think he might write the Kingdom Hearts stuff, which is even more nonsensical.

But I agree, he's getting lazy. The antagonist of XIII-2&3's (Liam O'Brien) character design is one of the worst i've seen for a while. And Lightning Strife is one of the weirdest forms of fan service I think i've ever seen.

...But FF15 looks decent, and I think he's directing that so there's hope for him yet.

Online
Posted by Nictel

I still love that music

Edited by Raven10

@boozak said:
@trancequina said:

I've never cringed that hard at costume DLC before.

I'm ready for Tetsuya Nomura to bow out of this franchise. This third-grade-poetry approach to storytelling is seriously grating at this point.

Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Doesnt Nomura just design the costumes for FF games? I dont think he has anything to do with story. I think he might write the Kingdom Hearts stuff, which is even more nonsensical.

But I agree, he's getting lazy. The antagonist of XIII-2&3's (Liam O'Brien) character design is one of the worst i've seen for a while. And Lightning Strife is one of the weirdest forms of fan service I think i've ever seen.

...But FF15 looks decent, and I think he's directing that so there's hope for him yet.

Nomura designed the characters for all of the FFXIII games. He helped create the over arching fiction for the series but he only was directly involved with the creation of FFXIII Versus (Now XV) as he was the director of that game. He creates the stories for the Kingdom Hearts series as well, but he doesn't write the dialogue. Square Enix has a team of internal writers that write the vast majority of their games and Nomura is not among them. He is first and foremost a character designer. Also, he only drew the faces for the new characters in XIII2 and 3 which is why I think the costume for the villain is God awful.

But in general people give way too much credit to Nomura for these games. His influence on the series in general is very minimal. Up until FXIII he was solely the character designer (for VI, VII, VIII, and X). He had no involvement with IX, XI, XII, or XIV. If you don't like the character designs in the games listed he's the guy you have to blame. If you have an issue with any other aspect you need to talk to Yoshinori Kitase, the director of VI, VII, VIII, and X, and the producer of XIII and Kingdom Hearts, or Kazushige Nojima, the writer of VII, VIII, X, and Kingdom Hearts and the creator of the concept for XIII.

If you dislike XII, Tactics and its sequels, or Vagrant Story, you need to blame Yasumi Matsuno, the writer and director of those games, or Akihiko Yoshida, the art director and character designer.

Posted by Astrophyle

I enjoyed XIII-2 quite a bit, and I'm interested to see the end if nothing else. They always seem to bring a fun combat system even if the story is a little cheesy.

Edited by darkest4

God damn I'm such a sucker for FF music even when the trailer is dumb overall, gonna have to play this eventually. I actually liked FF13 and FF13-2 a decent amount despite all the bandwagon hate, certainly far from the best FF games but FF games will always just have that magical feel to me and I'm just a JRPG junkie I guess. I'll still take any FF game over most other RPGs these days.

Posted by deafwing
Posted by Solidsnak

That was way less interesting than I hoped it would be

Edited by afabs515

I pride myself on enjoying even the most nonsensical anime storylines/dialogue, so this is a really hard thing for me to ask: Did anyone actually understand any of that cryptic nonsense?

Posted by LiquidPrince

I love the FFXIII trilogy. You people are just hating for the sake of hating. Pfft... internet.

Posted by dagas

@afabs515 said:

I pride myself on enjoying even the most nonsensical anime storylines/dialogue, so this is a really hard thing for me to ask: Did anyone actually understand any of that cryptic nonsense?

All I understood was that she has to take a sword by force and she needs to help someone die.

Edited by Petiew

The trailer isn't really that hard to follow. It's almost like a lot of you guys didn't play the last game, have no intention of playing this game and decided to be down on the game just to seem cool and current. Oh wait.

Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy

@petiew: I'm not so much down on this game as I am a fan of Liam O'Brien.