69 Comments
  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by nikopeters

Wrestling!

Posted by samcroft90

They're gonna have to do something a lot better than fancy video editing to convince me that this anything revelatory. What a slide of boring irrelevance the series has been on for the past five years.

Posted by DonChipotle

Bout time they let CM Punk be the main guy in the game.

Posted by homermon

Wet hair physics!

Posted by Cirdain

no.

Posted by Rabid619

I haven't played a wrestling game in 8 years or so, so this should be a bit of a revolution for me. I really do hope that these games have gotten better over the years.

Posted by Paindamnation

Eh. Wrestling..eh..Still never played a wrestling game.

Posted by Xeirus

Yeah... that doesn't look very good

Posted by loki_16

CM PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Zabant

How is it that at the end of this generation IT STILL LOOKS LIKE A PS2 GAME?!

Take this fucking franchise away from the people making it and take a good 2-3 YEARS making a new pretty and non shitty physics/graphics engine

Posted by Hockeymask27
Posted by mortface

Eh? That gameplay footage must be in alpha or something.. It looks awful.

Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman

The Attitude Era mode is the only thing making this at all interesting to me. If they pull it off well I might get this just for that.

Posted by Terranova

@samcroft90 said:

They're gonna have to do something a lot better than fancy video editing to convince me that this anything revelatory. What a slide of boring irrelevance the series has been on for the past five years.

couldn't agree more, although I read the official announcement and the single player campaign is set in the Attitude era which was back when the WWE was decent with great characters and storylines such as DX , stonecold / McMahon feud , Undertakers ministry etc. so they have a lot of great stuff to work with it's just i fear they wont do it justice.

Posted by samcroft90

@Zabant said:

How is it that at the end of this generation IT STILL LOOKS LIKE A PS2 GAME?!

Take this fucking franchise away from the people making it and take a good 2-3 YEARS making a new pretty and non shitty physics/graphics engine

Agree 100%

The exponential features aside (universe mode and creation stuff) it amazes me how after all these years the developers still don't have the general gameplay down and haven't even been close to achieving the level of gameplay they should be. I would argue they have somehow managed to regress from past simulation-based wrestling games.

It annoys me that every year they brag about all the new features that surround the actual gameplay of wrestling a match when the gameplay is so average that it doesn't make them worthwhile (not to mention that the online modes they offer never seem to work correctly).

WWE All Stars got arcade gameplay down almost perfectly on the first bite of the cherry, give those guys the main franchise. Chasing an experience that is a perfect simulation of the WWE TV product is never going to be achievable (and is sure to become more boring with each year that passes), yet this seems to be the path they have put themselves on.

Posted by Phoenix87

Looks awful, but that's par for the course I guess.

Posted by Rirse

I know it's E3 build up, but can we get some new actual content and not fluff trailers?

Posted by MideonNViscera

I don't quite get why they can't make a wrestling game as good as Smackdown! Bring the Pain, or even better, No Mercy. Ahhhh, N64 wrestling games you smell so sweet.

Posted by CookieMonster

I used to play the shit out of WWF No Mercy when I was younger. It was unreal.

Posted by Happenstance

The attitude era stuff actually has me excited, I'll probably have to get this

Posted by Death_Burnout

@Hockeymask27 said:

Ign has a good article on this I pumped.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/05/29/igns-exclusive-debut-of-wwe-13

Thanks for that! I knew about the Attitude Era being the emphasis but nothing else. Sounds amazing, i particularly like the idea of setting the match experience from quick to epic. That is an amazing idea.

@samcroft90: I think you should read up on this more before you judge it too much. I thought the actual wrestling itself last year was so much better. It was the carried over bugs and poor code that put the nail in the coffin for me. It's entirely possible for that to happen again. Lets face it, it's Yukes, it will happen again, but everything surrounding it this time is really really impressive. I'm very open minded.

Also CM Punk's shoot promo last year was bloody incredible, just saying that for saying it's sake.

Posted by Supercancer

@Zabant: Well you see, the entire budget went into Triple H's hair.

Posted by biggiedubs

@MideonNViscera said:

I don't quite get why they can't make a wrestling game as good as Smackdown! Bring the Pain, or even better, No Mercy. Ahhhh, N64 wrestling games you smell so sweet.

Ehhhhh I think you mean 'Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain', not 'Bring The Pain'. Duuuuuuuhhh.

Whatever, that game was Fucking Sweet. That game had just about enough technical stuff with all the grapples and reversals, but still kept it fun and quick paced.

CM Punk can kind of save wrestling on TV, just about, but the games? Nope. There's no amount of sweet promos he can do to make me want this game.

Posted by samcroft90

@Death_Burnout: I think we just have different opinions on what we want out of a wrestling game.

I think the developers should just forget about creating a well rounded WWE product and just focus on making the gameplay between the ropes as deep and rich as possible. I don't think last year's game, 2010 or 2009 achieved that at all. I would argue that 2007 and 2008 were more successful at that, but they were still lacking depth.

Having a nostalgia-based story mode may be a great experience the first time through but the replay value of the entire game will be extremely limited if the gameplay is lacking.

Posted by PsEG

CM Punk is amazing, but I have no faith in Yukes. Letting AKI fall by the wayside was WWE's biggest mistake, as Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy were two of the finest party brawlers I've ever played.

Moderator
Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

They really need to make a new engine for these games. They looked great on the PS1 and 2 but not they look horrible.

Posted by TurboMan

WWE needs to allow a new developer to take a look at the franchise.

Online
Posted by BagManForHire

"It's clobberin' time!"

Posted by daltimond

Must...kill...Lincoln...

Posted by spankingaddict

CM Punk ! CM Punk !!

Posted by TyCobb

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

They really need to make a new engine for these games. They looked great on the PS1 and 2 but not they look horrible.

Sad thing is they did. WWE '12 ran off of the "new" engine. To this day, WCW vs NWO is still the best wrestling game.

Posted by altairre

It still looks really bad. They need to move on to a new engine but they definetely won't do that before the next gen consoles come out. So thanks but no thanks.

Edited by TurboMan

I'd much rather have John Laurinitus as the cover athlete for WWE 13.

"This game is going to be bigger than Pacman!"

Online
Posted by forkboy

@Zabant said:

How is it that at the end of this generation IT STILL LOOKS LIKE A PS2 GAME?!

Take this fucking franchise away from the people making it and take a good 2-3 YEARS making a new pretty and non shitty physics/graphics engine

Yeah, I'm not even a big graphics guy but holy fuck. I mean...someone take the license away from Yukes. Just...something new in wrestling games please. Obviously in a perfect world & assuming any of the Fire Pro/King of Collesium team are still at Spike I'd like them to do it but fuck, just...a new wrestling game. Because the fundamentals have been the same for far too long &...to quote Owen Hart, "enough is enough & it's time for a change".

Posted by Shtinky

@TurboMan said:

I'd much rather have John Laurinitus as the cover athlete for WWE 13.

"This game is going to be bigger than Pacman!"

Wow, what a load of crap; now I remember why I don't watch WWE anymore.

Posted by Phished0ne

I hate CM Punk with a passion. He represents everything about wrestling now a days that i hate. Pandering to the fans about old times, and trying to 'make it real'.

Jim Cornette said it best, you can't 'expose the business' now because its already been exposed so many times. CM Punk cuts good promos and is quite a good wrestler, but his reliance on making everything seem like a shoot is tiresome. I've been there before, i've seen it before, and of course it isn't a 'shoot'. Because wrestling isn't real. WWE should stop relying on marketing 'entertainment' and actually hire good wrestlers. 'shoot interviews' stopped being cool when ECW died, because ECW was the only promotion that would actually let their people say and do whatever they wanted. You want a good shoot promo? go on youtube and look for the video of when Roddy Piper was on TNA to 'promote' his new book, and instead took the time to tear open Vince Russo's asshole, going as far as to blame him for Owen Heart's death. THAT is a shoot interview. Not sitting on the stage cross-legged and saying how 'the industry is dying".

Enter WWE 13, a game that much like the companies wrestling 'product' is stuck trying to emulate the past instead of pressing forward into the future. That being said, the Attitude Era mode does sound mildly interesting.

Posted by Milkman

Where's the People Power edition?

Posted by kist

He broke the fucking ring!!

Posted by monkeynuts8

Ow, my poor eyes feel like they've just been sandpapered

Posted by GorillaMoPena

@Phished0ne said:

I hate CM Punk with a passion. He represents everything about wrestling now a days that i hate. Pandering to the fans about old times, and trying to 'make it real'.

Jim Cornette said it best, you can't 'expose the business' now because its already been exposed so many times. CM Punk cuts good promos and is quite a good wrestler, but his reliance on making everything seem like a shoot is tiresome. I've been there before, i've seen it before, and of course it isn't a 'shoot'. Because wrestling isn't real. WWE should stop relying on marketing 'entertainment' and actually hire good wrestlers. 'shoot interviews' stopped being cool when ECW died, because ECW was the only promotion that would actually let their people say and do whatever they wanted. You want a good shoot promo? go on youtube and look for the video of when Roddy Piper was on TNA to 'promote' his new book, and instead took the time to tear open Vince Russo's asshole, going as far as to blame him for Owen Heart's death. THAT is a shoot interview. Not sitting on the stage cross-legged and saying how 'the industry is dying".

Enter WWE 13, a game that much like the companies wrestling 'product' is stuck trying to emulate the past instead of pressing forward into the future. That being said, the Attitude Era mode does sound mildly interesting.

[looks at CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan matches]

[scratches head]

Posted by MjHealy

Seems a bit strange that they are dubbing this a "revolution" since last year was their big re-vamp. I have thought, and have for some time, they should tak a few years off and then layeth the smackdown in the next generation.

Posted by JustinAquarius

2012 was worse than 2011. All the moves just lack "impact" now, everything looks so soft in the game. When I need a wrestling game, I still break out SD:HCTP and SVR06.

Posted by Milkman
@Phished0ne This rant may have been true a year ago but Punk hasn't done anything resembling a "shoot" in months. Which I think is one of the main reasons he's gotten so stale as a talker. As a wrestler, he's just as great as he's ever been.
Posted by Mongoose

I know it's almost impossible to fix, but showing Mankinds head clipping through the mat in a promo just smacks (no pun intended) of laziness.

Also, does anyone else think this looks just a bit bland, graphically?

Posted by Undeadpool

@PsEG said:

CM Punk is amazing, but I have no faith in Yukes. Letting AKI fall by the wayside was WWE's biggest mistake, as Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy were two of the finest party brawlers I've ever played.

Agreed on all points. And Def Jam: Fight For NY was one of the best games to take that engine even further.

I keep renting these games every year (sometimes every other) and I'll likely check this one out too. So far none have been buy worthy since... I think "Here Comes the Pain."

Posted by Recall

ROH 4 life!

Edited by AjayRaz

lol @ recreating big show & brock lesnar breaking the ring

it looks like WWE 12 as expected and i played that for like 4 hours. i don't think wrestling games cut it for me anymore without friends to play with. i was supposed to play WWE 12 with friends but they opted out too late.

edit: never mind. wiki page says they did something like that in 2011. whoops

Posted by Roomrunner

@Zabant said:

How is it that at the end of this generation IT STILL LOOKS LIKE A PS2 GAME?!

Take this fucking franchise away from the people making it and take a good 2-3 YEARS making a new pretty and non shitty physics/graphics engine

While were at it, stop trying to make wrestling games like a sports game.

Basically, give the IP to Telltale.

Posted by MHumphreys89

@Cirdain: YES!

Posted by tourgen

I'd play a Platinum Games wrestling game.

I'd play a Sid Meyer wrestling game.

I might even play a SWERY wrestling game.

But not this game. this game looks like generic trash.

  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2