71 Comments
  • 71 results
  • 1
  • 2
Edited by Slaker117

This seems alright even if it isn't really XCOM.

Posted by amorbis

I literally can't wait for this. Perfect time frame.

Posted by Ragnarok512

Wow, so close.

Posted by Xeiphyer

Missed the old XCOM games because they were before my time, really liking the ideas that are in this game/series.

Posted by PixelStyles

Reminds me of half life. Maybe it's the graphics...

Posted by onarum

Well, I guess that's close enough, or at least as close it will get from the original games, too bad there won't be base management, government budget and stuff like that, at least it's not just another flippin FPS..

Posted by DoctorLazy
@Xeiphyer: It turns out the games still exist.  You should check them out.
Posted by m0rdr3d

This is fine and I'm interested, but I also kinda hope there's a more faithful PC version sometime soon as well.

Posted by csl316

What I like about Ryan is if someone asks "how are you" he actually explains what the hell is going on instead of just saying "fine."

Posted by Driadon

Great to hear these details since before this I really couldn't say what the hell this game really was. I'm still a little bit wanting, I feel as if either the team isn't allowed to communicate fully as to what this game is, or there just isn't a proper WAY to. Dunno, but I'm clued in.

Posted by heavyplay

@csl316: Um what? The guy asked Ryan how he was going and Ryan just ignored that and launched right into his intro.

Posted by spilledmilkfactory

The guy in the thumbnail for this video looks like a possessed Frank West

Posted by dr_mantas

SUBVERT THE ALIENS!

Posted by ArbitraryWater

The worst part about this game is the name. Everything else sounds really interesting. It's just a pity that this officially means we'll never have an isometric turn based strategy game bearing that name again.

Posted by Vinny_Says

all these comments remind me so much of the fallout 3 comments....

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

I love how Gravyrobbers by Midnight Brown is in the background of this video

Online
Posted by Xpgamer7

On subject, I was hoping you could build a squad (and hopefully a base/weapons/original XCOM stuff).

Off subject I noticed a huge amount of stuttering, to the point where I actually noticed.

Posted by Eyz

Sounds like a pretty interesting title!

Posted by arca

I'm uh probably uhm going uhm to uh buy uh this uh game uhm.

Edited by CharlesSurge

Many game are like this, but I do not see a meaningful reason for this title to exist . The concepts and decisions involved in this project: I just don't see that given a value for your limited time alive that this is what one would choose to make.

Posted by ValiantGrizzly

Interested in this game. I was one of the four dudes who liked Bioshock 2, and I'd like to see what these guys can do in the XCOM universe. 

I hope people don't steer away from this just because of the name. Change can be good, as was proven by the recent Fallout games, which had their own problems but managed to take an archaic concept and turn it into something modern. Note that when I say 'archaic' it is not meant dismissively, I merely want to point out that if you released Fallout or Fallout 2 today, they would not have reached as large an audience as Fallout 3 or New Vegas did.

If this game is done right, it won't matter what perspective the camera is in or whether the action is real-time or turn-based. Judge this game by its own merits (or, who knows, lack thereof), not by some nostalgic standard for a franchise that hasn't had isometric turn-based games in well over a decade.

Posted by Winternet

ah uh an and thi thi thi this guy shouldn't be doing interviews.

Posted by KillyDarko

I've been really interested in this game for a long time, and thankfully all I've seen and heard from this E3 just got me even more into it. I can't wait to play it :)

Posted by prestonhedges

Fallout 3 had vault suits. If this game had ONE thing in common artistically with the originals, most people would be like, "oh, okay, at least that's something." Give me one gun from the original or a grey alien or a dude in a blue jumpsuit who dies easily, and I'm cool. 
 
Like, they could call this Syndicate, and the same debate would be going on.

Edited by Vodun

SAY UM AGAIN! SAY UM AGAIN! I DARE YOU! I DOUBLE DARE YOU MOTHER FUCKER!

Edit: Oh god, Ryan's almost as bad.

Posted by dropabombonit

Never played the old games but interested in this because these guys made bioshock 2 which gameplay wise was better than the first bioshock

Posted by sixpin

Game looks interesting. Hope it is fun. Man, there are a lot of people being dicks about a guy with a stammer. It is a shame that not everyone in the games industry can hold themselves to the lofty standards of gamers.

Edited by Wandering_Idiot

Man, some of the aliens in this seem pretty clearly inspired by one of the Angels in Evangelion:

  

  

But I guess talking about actual influences would be too much trouble, or the artists never told this guy about it.

Posted by crusader8463

Shame they had to ruin this game by making it a shooter. I was so exited when I found out they were making a new x-om game. Oh well...

Online
Posted by Lydian_Sel

I'm still mostly curious about the management aspects of the game, will there still be base building?

Posted by kitsune_conundrum

lol level up my ai controlled team mates? i dont really trust them unless they are in MY ABSOLUTE CONTROL!!!!

Posted by neoepoch

There is some serious beard action going on.

Edited by 234r2we232
@crusader8463 said:

Shame they had to ruin this game by making it a shooter. I was so exited when I found out they were making a new x-om game. Oh well...

OH NO THEY'RE MAKING A FUN GAME WTF THEY'VE RUINED EVERYTHING 
Posted by crusader8463
@sofacitysweetheart said:
@crusader8463 said:

Shame they had to ruin this game by making it a shooter. I was so exited when I found out they were making a new x-om game. Oh well...

OH NO THEY'RE MAKING A FUN GAME WTF THEY'VE RUINED EVERYTHING 
Sorry that I'm just sick and tired of every fucking game that had guns in them being made into a mindless shooter. Sorry that I'm sick of these companies taking loved franchises and completely changing everything that people loved about them to appease the console kids that couldn't give a shit about the series in the first place when they could have just made their own name instead of attaching it to one loved by people. Sorry that I like games that have some kind of strategy to them beyond hold down button to shoot gun until everything on screen is dead. Sorry that I like to be able to stop, think and plan what to do next instead of just hold up and shoot gun.
 
But you are right. How dare I ask for games that require you to use your brain.  
 
FUCK YA! MINDLESS SHOOTER #9834589345734578349857! I CAN'T WAIT TO PREORDER!
Online
Posted by SquirrelGOD

@crusader8463 said:

@sofacitysweetheart said:
@crusader8463 said:

Shame they had to ruin this game by making it a shooter. I was so exited when I found out they were making a new x-om game. Oh well...

OH NO THEY'RE MAKING A FUN GAME WTF THEY'VE RUINED EVERYTHING
Sorry that I'm just sick and tired of every fucking game that had guns in them being made into a mindless shooter. Sorry that I'm sick of these companies taking loved franchises and completely changing everything that people loved about them to appease the console kids that couldn't give a shit about the series in the first place when they could have just made their own name instead of attaching it to one loved by people. Sorry that I like games that have some kind of strategy to them beyond hold down button to shoot gun until everything on screen is dead. Sorry that I like to be able to stop, think and plan what to do next instead of just hold up and shoot gun. But you are right. How dare I ask for games that require you to use your brain. FUCK YA! MINDLESS SHOOTER #9834589345734578349857! I CAN'T WAIT TO PREORDER!

They're video games, dipshit. Stop pretending like one genre/platform requires more intelligence than another. You want to say that you're not comfortable with them taking an older game and remaking it into something completely different? That's fine and completely understandable. But, ranting like a jackass about consoles and shooters is stupid. You are not special because you enjoy certain VIDEO GAMES, just like how other people are not somehow inferior just because they enjoy other VIDEO GAMES.

Posted by 234r2we232
@crusader8463 said:
@sofacitysweetheart said:
@crusader8463 said:

Shame they had to ruin this game by making it a shooter. I was so exited when I found out they were making a new x-om game. Oh well...

OH NO THEY'RE MAKING A FUN GAME WTF THEY'VE RUINED EVERYTHING 
Sorry that I'm just sick and tired of every fucking game that had guns in them being made into a mindless shooter. Sorry that I'm sick of these companies taking loved franchises and completely changing everything that people loved about them to appease the console kids that couldn't give a shit about the series in the first place when they could have just made their own name instead of attaching it to one loved by people. Sorry that I like games that have some kind of strategy to them beyond hold down button to shoot gun until everything on screen is dead. Sorry that I like to be able to stop, think and plan what to do next instead of just hold up and shoot gun. But you are right. How dare I ask for games that require you to use your brain.   FUCK YA! MINDLESS SHOOTER #9834589345734578349857! I CAN'T WAIT TO PREORDER!
Great, so you've actually played this game then? You're not just some random unenlightened internet guy who's out to hate everything that's remotely popular with the mainstream? Go you! I'm sure your advanced logic will eventually work out that not every FPS game is Call of Duty/Battlefield, and that some re-imaginings happen because folks behind the scenes care about franchises and want to see them matter to a new generation without just re-releasing old outdated gameplay and hoping a large enough section enjoy it's "retro appeal". 
Posted by crusader8463
@SquirrelGOD said:

@crusader8463 said:

@sofacitysweetheart said:
@crusader8463 said:

Shame they had to ruin this game by making it a shooter. I was so exited when I found out they were making a new x-om game. Oh well...

OH NO THEY'RE MAKING A FUN GAME WTF THEY'VE RUINED EVERYTHING
Sorry that I'm just sick and tired of every fucking game that had guns in them being made into a mindless shooter. Sorry that I'm sick of these companies taking loved franchises and completely changing everything that people loved about them to appease the console kids that couldn't give a shit about the series in the first place when they could have just made their own name instead of attaching it to one loved by people. Sorry that I like games that have some kind of strategy to them beyond hold down button to shoot gun until everything on screen is dead. Sorry that I like to be able to stop, think and plan what to do next instead of just hold up and shoot gun. But you are right. How dare I ask for games that require you to use your brain. FUCK YA! MINDLESS SHOOTER #9834589345734578349857! I CAN'T WAIT TO PREORDER!

They're video games, dipshit. Stop pretending like one genre/platform requires more intelligence than another. You want to say that you're not comfortable with them taking an older game and remaking it into something completely different? That's fine and completely understandable. But, ranting like a jackass about consoles and shooters is stupid. You are not special because you enjoy certain VIDEO GAMES, just like how other people are not somehow inferior just because they enjoy other VIDEO GAMES.

Well dipshit, I never claimed I was special or that any genre/platform was better then the other. I just said that I personally am sick of shooters, and that I like to play games that require you to think to progress. I like turn based RPG/Strategy games and I was simply stating how I'm disappointed that another loved franchise of that genre was being turned into another dam shooter when there are dozens of shooters already being made every year. God forbid I want something different to play, and that I'm disappointed that another game is being turned into a shooter because all the console gamers keep buying COD/Halo and all the developers keep trying to copy that instead of making something different to appeal to the people that want to play something else. 
 
You like shooters that's fine and dandy, but you guys already got dozens of games to choose from every year. Why can't they let the rest of us get one dam game we want to play too.
Online
Posted by warmonked

meh. I loved the original X-Com so much that I don't expect to like the the direction they've gone with this reboot. I'm open to being surprised though... you never know...

Posted by ttocs

I haven't really been blown away by what I've seen so far with XCOM, but I'm not writing it off yet. I really hope they are able to release it when it's complete and not rush it out the door.

Posted by Xealot42

X-com fans should keep an eye on Xenonauts if you aren't already.

Posted by fisk0

@gladspooky said:

Fallout 3 had vault suits. If this game had ONE thing in common artistically with the originals, most people would be like, "oh, okay, at least that's something." Give me one gun from the original or a grey alien or a dude in a blue jumpsuit who dies easily, and I'm cool. Like, they could call this Syndicate, and the same debate would be going on.

The stuff they showed last year implied that there would be base building just like in the previous games. As for alien designs, the original X-COM (and to some extent, Terror from the Deep) just used the generic popular culture ideas of how aliens look like, I for one love that they try to do something else with that, some of the geometric shapes just look amazing and alien in that wonderful 2001 kind of way. The humanoids that showed up for a second looks rather generic and boring though, pretty much like the Geth zombie things in Mass Effect. I'd say this looks as much as X-COM as 3 out of the 5 X-COM titles that have been released so far, sure I wouldn't mind it being an isometric turn based strategy game like the first two, but I am rather impressed with what I've seen of this so far.

Posted by MisterMouse

that guys seems really nervous...

Posted by MisterMouse
@arca said:

I'm uh probably uhm going uhm to uh buy uh this uh game uhm.

I also noticed that Ryan repeats words...  
i.e. " so we we've got the the fbi agents and the the and and there  you know and the the agents have take and reappropriated and of of..."   
 
Give it a listen again...
Posted by arca

@pyromaster222: Hah yeah! The Uhms, ahs and uh's become contagious at one point and Ryan starts doing a few too.

Posted by MeatSim

From what I have seen of the aliens I really like the design.

Posted by prestonhedges
@fisk0 said:

@gladspooky said:

Fallout 3 had vault suits. If this game had ONE thing in common artistically with the originals, most people would be like, "oh, okay, at least that's something." Give me one gun from the original or a grey alien or a dude in a blue jumpsuit who dies easily, and I'm cool. Like, they could call this Syndicate, and the same debate would be going on.

The stuff they showed last year implied that there would be base building just like in the previous games. As for alien designs, the original X-COM (and to some extent, Terror from the Deep) just used the generic popular culture ideas of how aliens look like, I for one love that they try to do something else with that, some of the geometric shapes just look amazing and alien in that wonderful 2001 kind of way. The humanoids that showed up for a second looks rather generic and boring though, pretty much like the Geth zombie things in Mass Effect. I'd say this looks as much as X-COM as 3 out of the 5 X-COM titles that have been released so far, sure I wouldn't mind it being an isometric turn based strategy game like the first two, but I am rather impressed with what I've seen of this so far.

Hey, I think it looks cool, and I think most X-Com fans would say "Yeah, this is cool, I'll probably play this." It's just that calling it XCOM is kind of weird.
 
Hopefully this will lead to an up-res'd/slightly tweaked version of the first one for handheld systems or something, too.
Posted by Gamer_152

Gotta get it, got to, got to get it, gravy.

Moderator
Posted by reddin

@Xealot42 said:

X-com fans should keep an eye on Xenonauts if you aren't already.

I was going to post the exact same thing. It's looking good!

This game looks interesting as well, even if it's not classic x-com.

Posted by Subjugation

BEARD VS. BEARD

Edited by Doonee63

kings speech @ 4:10.  
 
ANYWAY 
game sounds cool. won't buy it new. I don't buy anything new.

  • 71 results
  • 1
  • 2