132 CommentsRefresh
Avatar image for neonie
Posted By Neonie

I want Drew to narrate all Anti-Chamber in the style of the Stanley Parable Narrator.

Avatar image for cthomer5000
Posted By cthomer5000

@edeo said:

I like that Jeff stuck to his guns about Bioshock Infinite, unlike everyone who praised it then immediately hated it.

A bit hyperbolic? Everyone except Patrick had it in their Top 10.

Avatar image for sgtsphynx
Posted By SgtSphynx

Watching Jeff play Antichamber made me really want to go and play through it again.

Online
Avatar image for djou
Posted By djou

@jeff when you said that Drew already played your #1 game and you were going to show something else I almost expected you to queue up another game of Windjammers.

Avatar image for admordem
Edited By AdMordem

@cat_herder

Don't think it happened :/ Here is a simulation though for your amusement!

Runners Up:

Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Cyclops, Antman, Deadpool, etc. (probably the most Nolan North)

Dota 2: Brewmaster, Earth Spirit, Gyrocopter, etc. (Brad wouldn't shut up without some mention of DOTA 2, and forcing a game into a list noonebut him cares about. PS Brad is bad at games.)

Saints Row 4: The President of the United States (yup)

Winner:

Deadpool: Deadpool AND himself. Wins by breaking the North Dimension.

Now here is the most uncomfortable Nolan North interview your ever likely to see.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for recroulette
Posted By recroulette

Where were the Northies? I hope I didn't just miss them in another video but I'd like to know the top Nolan North performance this year.

They retired them mainly because North hasn't been in as many roles as he used to be. And the winner would probably be his role in The Last of Us

Avatar image for palaeomerus
Posted By Palaeomerus

That's just California's future. The rest of us will be fine. Because we know how to beat up a rogue ATM when we need to.

Avatar image for billymaysrip
Posted By BillyMaysRIP

If you don't believe how good Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is, you should watch Chip Cheezum's and General Ironicus' informative and hilarious Let's Play of it. Chip shows off the depth of the game, and you get a deep understanding of how fucking amazing that game is. Too bad it's so short. It's fuckin balls to the wall crazy.

Avatar image for graf1k
Edited By graf1k

I am completely shocked at Jeff's number 1. I don't remember what he was saying about it back when it came out but in the first four days of the deliberation podcasts I can't recall ever hearing him lobby in favor of Infinite winning anything.

Disclaimer: I skipped some/all of the more spoiler-y categories as I have not played a lot of the games being discussed, Infinite included.

Avatar image for csl316
Posted By csl316

@graf1k said:

I am completely shocked at Jeff's number 1. I don't remember what he was saying about it back when it came out but in the first four days of the deliberation podcasts I can't recall ever hearing him lobby in favor of Infinite winning anything.

Disclaimer: I skipped some/all of the more spoiler-y categories as I have not played a lot of the games being discussed, Infinite included.

When the played the Bioshock DLC and he went "what a cool game," it was my first indication that he might have really dug it. With Last of Us being out for him and Saints Row IV not peaking like III did, I honestly didn't know what else would top his list. You're right, Bioshock didn't seem like a sure thing, either.

Avatar image for meatsim
Posted By MeatSim

The plaid couch is timeless and immortal!

Avatar image for av_gamer
Edited By AV_Gamer

Nice list overall, Jeff. Bioshock Infinite was definitely one of the best game of the year, and Anti-Chamber looks like what Portal 3 could've been.

Avatar image for white
Posted By White

Well. That escalated quickly.

Avatar image for dan_citi
Edited By Dan_CiTi

@graf1k said:

I am completely shocked at Jeff's number 1. I don't remember what he was saying about it back when it came out but in the first four days of the deliberation podcasts I can't recall ever hearing him lobby in favor of Infinite winning anything.

Disclaimer: I skipped some/all of the more spoiler-y categories as I have not played a lot of the games being discussed, Infinite included.

I think the only games they really spoiled was Brothers and Zeno Clash 2.

Also I think it is crazy Divekick made it over Mario. Divekick is really cool and funny, but Mario is so fantastic.

Avatar image for oursin_360
Posted By OurSin_360

Don't see how the last of us is game of the year, when it wasn't anybody's number one, and didn't even make jeffs list.

That game is the most overrated game of the year, and i wanted to love it ...

Avatar image for gaspower
Edited By GaspoweR

@graf1k said:

I am completely shocked at Jeff's number 1. I don't remember what he was saying about it back when it came out but in the first four days of the deliberation podcasts I can't recall ever hearing him lobby in favor of Infinite winning anything.

Me, too....COZ IT WASN'T MOTHERFUCKING WINDJAMMERS!!! WHAT A FUCKING TRAVESTY, @jeff!!!! WINDJAMMERS WAS ROBBED!!!! WHAT HAPPENED, JEFF??! WHAT HAPPENED??!

Avatar image for tourgen
Posted By tourgen

These videos have been amazing!

Avatar image for megalowho
Posted By megalowho

I see you trying to sneak your way into the video package, R.I.P.D. Nice try.

Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
Edited By the_purgatory_station

This video seemed like it was very hard to make.

All the videos were great. I enjoyed it.

Avatar image for hatking
Posted By HatKing

I'm glad Giant Bomb acknowledged that RIPD is the true worst game of the year.

I saw that too. Haha...

Honestly, I kind of hate that category. It's really weird and cynical, and I'm not sure what it says other than condemning a bunch of folks who spent a whole shit load of their time working on a game that didn't quite make the vision they had set out to achieve. Often times, I assume most of the time, the projects in that category are as much a disappointment to the creators as they are the consumer. A negative critique serves the purpose of letting people know don't play this game. Giving them an award to let them know they made the "worst" game of the year just seems cruel. I think the please stop category is way more valuable because it highlights something that is actually nefarious in the industry, often something that actively hurts and targets the consumer. Between please stop and most disappointing I'd like to see worst game disappear next year.

Avatar image for sooty
Edited By Sooty

Glad BioShock didn't win overall. For all the whining some people do about games trying too hard to be cinematic, Infinite's only strong points are cinematic and art direction, the gameplay became a chore too quick. I got somewhat tired of Last of Us' combat/stealth sections towards the very end, but it was still better and tighter than the shitty 2007 era combat of Infinite.

I'll never understand the love for Divekick though.

Avatar image for dystopiax
Posted By DystopiaX

@gaspower said:

@graf1k said:

I am completely shocked at Jeff's number 1. I don't remember what he was saying about it back when it came out but in the first four days of the deliberation podcasts I can't recall ever hearing him lobby in favor of Infinite winning anything.

Me, too....COZ IT WASN'T MOTHERFUCKING WINDJAMMERS!!! WHAT A FUCKING TRAVESTY, @jeff!!!! WINDJAMMERS WAS ROBBED!!!! WHAT HAPPENED, JEFF??! WHAT HAPPENED??!

Based on how he said he didn't have his list done he probably didn't know it would be his GOTY for anything until after deliberations were done himself.

I got the impression that he had a handful of games he really liked but when it came down to the list of 10 he didn't care about the particular order they were in.

Avatar image for cooljammer00
Edited By cooljammer00

@hatking said:

@wumbo3000 said:

I'm glad Giant Bomb acknowledged that RIPD is the true worst game of the year.

I saw that too. Haha...

Honestly, I kind of hate that category. It's really weird and cynical, and I'm not sure what it says other than condemning a bunch of folks who spent a whole shit load of their time working on a game that didn't quite make the vision they had set out to achieve. Often times, I assume most of the time, the projects in that category are as much a disappointment to the creators as they are the consumer. A negative critique serves the purpose of letting people know don't play this game. Giving them an award to let them know they made the "worst" game of the year just seems cruel. I think the please stop category is way more valuable because it highlights something that is actually nefarious in the industry, often something that actively hurts and targets the consumer. Between please stop and most disappointing I'd like to see worst game disappear next year.

True, but RIPD was especially heinous in that it was a reskin of another, different bad game in God Mode.

Avatar image for ripelivejam
Edited By ripelivejam

actually loved this, very random but a perfect culmination.

kinda wish we got to see everyone in their cyberpunk guises or something, rutger hauer would say something about c-beams. and then they'd play four hours of Shadowrun Returns or summat. but this is still great!!!

Avatar image for oni
Posted By Oni

Man, you throw dark!

Oh, that is a deep-cut reference, I like it.

Avatar image for cooljammer00
Edited By cooljammer00

All the filler text says the apocalypse is going to happen. Looks like it already happened, to the GB staff anyway.

Avatar image for xymox
Edited By Xymox

Ride To Hell: Retribution won worst game in a year where The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct and Aliens: Colonial Marines came out. The worst part is that I thought it looked just fine in the Quick Look and what I saw of the other two didn't.

Avatar image for spaceboat
Edited By SpaceBoat

Man, Antichamber was great. Glad to see it get some more recognition.

Avatar image for getz
Posted By Getz

Where were the Northies? I hope I didn't just miss them in another video but I'd like to know the top Nolan North performance this year.

It's Bill, from The Last of Us. Mystery solved.

Avatar image for elwood
Posted By Elwood

@getz said:

@cat_herder said:

Where were the Northies? I hope I didn't just miss them in another video but I'd like to know the top Nolan North performance this year.

It's Bill, from The Last of Us. Mystery solved.

Don't you mean David :)

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'd love to go play some Windjammers!

Avatar image for rvone
Posted By RVonE

@xymox said:

Ride To Hell: Retribution won worst game in a year where The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct and Aliens: Colonial Marines came out. The worst part is that I thought it looked just fine in the Quick Look and what I saw of the other two didn't.

You should play the game. I can assure you that it is beyond the level of terribleness that those two games have on offer.

Avatar image for xymox
Posted By Xymox

@rvone said:

@xymox said:

Ride To Hell: Retribution won worst game in a year where The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct and Aliens: Colonial Marines came out. The worst part is that I thought it looked just fine in the Quick Look and what I saw of the other two didn't.

You should play the game. I can assure you that it is beyond the level of terribleness that those two games have on offer.

Oh man. You know what, I think you're right. I'm just gonna look away. I get why Vinny didn't want that other game to get any publicity. Because people like me end up buying that stuff and then regretting it.

Avatar image for rvone
Posted By RVonE
Avatar image for linkster7
Posted By linkster7

This is why this site is THE BEST!

You a wasteland...

Avatar image for gaspower
Edited By GaspoweR

@sooty said:

Glad BioShock didn't win overall. For all the whining some people do about games trying too hard to be cinematic, Infinite's only strong points are cinematic and art direction, the gameplay became a chore too quick. I got somewhat tired of Last of Us' combat/stealth sections towards the very end, but it was still better and tighter than the shitty 2007 era combat of Infinite.

I'll never understand the love for Divekick though.

It's better enjoyed as a LAN game when you can trash talk and be in the same physical space as your opponent, just like any fighting game, the difference is that the barrier to entry is really low and easier to get into. It's harder to appreciate it by just playing online, alone from home.

@dystopiax: I got the impression from the side comments during the videos and the podcasts and live streams leading up to December that there weren't any games that Jeff himself found to be that great, most of them he just found to be really good or rather he didn't find the games he liked to be certain of the order of which he thought to stand out as great games to him. I think if anything most of the games he played this year ended up having some problems or having some caveats (e.g. Killer Instinct and Divekick not having a lot of people playing online after launch, etc.).

Avatar image for gaspower
Edited By GaspoweR

Man, you throw dark!

BUT YOU'RE IN LUCK SO DOES GIANT BOMB DOT COM!

Avatar image for will_m
Posted By Will_M

For once, my own personal list is much closer to Jeff's.

Avatar image for novis
Posted By Novis

This is one of the better things you guys have done. Love it!

Avatar image for mattyt
Edited By MattyT

@cat_herder: I believe they retired the category after last year. This year, I think the winner would've been Nolan North as the Nolan North voice option in Saints Row IV.

Avatar image for agentzigzag
Edited By AgentZigzag

Is it just me or was 2013 a pretty weak year for games? It seems strange to say that with AAA titles like Bioshock, The Last of Us and GTAV and indie titles like Brothers, etc. my feeling I'm left with for the year is just a bit of disappointment for some reason. Nothing lived up to what I was hoping it would be.

Avatar image for mrcaptain
Posted By MrCaptain

@recspec said:

@cat_herder said:

Where were the Northies? I hope I didn't just miss them in another video but I'd like to know the top Nolan North performance this year.

They retired them mainly because North hasn't been in as many roles as he used to be. And the winner would probably be his role in The Last of Us

Or in dota 2

Avatar image for seanakin66
Posted By Seanakin66

In the future, there will be only one place spacious enough for a public works project of this magnitude, and appropriately enough, it's the Dave Lang Zone.

DLX (Dave Lang International Airport) is going to be rad, can't wait.

Avatar image for iamjohn
Posted By iAmJohn

Vinny and Drew, you have outdone yourselves this year. This is some net art right here.

Avatar image for max_cherry
Posted By Max_Cherry

It all starts with an earthquake...

Avatar image for mikefightnight
Posted By MikeFightNight

Ah, I was hoping for a Back to the Future 2 take on this. The whole shitty apocalypse view of the future that seems to be the current norm is a bummer. However, still all around fun idea and presentation for GOTY content this year!

Avatar image for fisk0
Edited By fisk0

@agentzigzag said:

Is it just me or was 2013 a pretty weak year for games? It seems strange to say that with AAA titles like Bioshock, The Last of Us and GTAV and indie titles like Brothers, etc. my feeling I'm left with for the year is just a bit of disappointment for some reason. Nothing lived up to what I was hoping it would be.

I'd say the highs haven't been as high as in other recent years (probably most notably 2011), but that on average, the games were generally good, but as Jeff said - we've had a year filled with games that could take the 5th to the 15th places on the GOTY lists, but no clear 1-5's.

Moderator