82 Comments
  • 82 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by zameer

I can never shake off the feeling that this game has no business being an MMO.. I really hope they do a vid on instanced raids

Posted by thenexus
@WinterSnowblind: They are doing stuff that is not in any other MMO. The story concept is not in any other MMO. Your whole playtime will be things that go on but based around your life and decisions made by you or your group stick in terms of that story. 
Its not even in Beta remember. 
Bioware's problem is that while they are showing the game off which is great, people also create lots of misconceptions about it from what is still basically an Alpha. 
 
As with other posts, even if this game sucks in the end people need to remember - IT IS NOT FINISHED YET! 
 
I always say here - Go look at Wow Alpha and Wow First Beta for example: 
I remember in beta when they put in better textures and better lighting, Jesus it made a difference. 
Humans looked dum as hell in alpha and first couple of weeks of beta. 
 
The more I see of this game the more you noticed better particle effects, better lighting, better textures. I want to see more improvement of course. 
Sound also seems to have had a lot more work just from this video alone.
Posted by Dizzyhippos

Honestly is anyone going to play this and make anything other than a jedi?

Posted by SnakeEyes327
Kind o feel like this isn't much of a reveal. They already had a video that showed the Bounty Hunter class almost a year ago and let you see that class's armor progression. Still, looking forward to jumping in and giving the game a try.
Posted by CannibalFerox

That looks cool.

Posted by Scribbly

Trying to not be too stoked for this game and failing. It's looking so good!

Posted by GozerTC
@Dizzyhippos said:
" Honestly is anyone going to play this and make anything other than a jedi? "
IF I play it, it'll be anything BUT a Jedi.  
Edited by Curious_George

I don't know whether or not this game will be good, but it amazes me there are still people complaining about monthly MMORPG fees. How many of you complainers pay for Xbox live? There are many people paying for that service that just play CoD and are basically paying a monthly fee to access servers (does Microsoft even host any?) and have a friends list (and DLCs are almost never free, so you rarely get any free updates). At least with an MMORPG fee you are getting a persistent experience and free content updates.

Posted by InvaderSkooj

These trailers are nice but I'd really like to see a substantial gameplay video released some time soon.

Posted by iyaoyas615

I understand that it isn't finished yet and I guess I'll just wait and see.

Posted by Woodroez

I wonder if bounty hunters have to be doing the whole Mandalorian thing. Kind of a bummer if so, especially since that means you probably won't have the option of being Mandalorian and playing in some other class.

Edited by mewarmo990
@GozerTC said:

" @Dizzyhippos said:

" Honestly is anyone going to play this and make anything other than a jedi? "
IF I play it, it'll be anything BUT a Jedi.   "
I think a lot of younger players will pick the Jedi classes. There is already an F2P Star Wars MMO running (which boils down to a bunch of cartoony minigames, really), so some players might move up from that to this.
Posted by Burrobean

Hmm, so the "Bounty Hunter" class is just a visual redesign of Boba Fett?  I hope there's more to it than that.  I also hope the class as a whole isn't prone to accidental deaths and burp jokes.  That would carry the Fett parallels a little too far, methinks.

Posted by WickedFather

Remember when Star Wars wasn't a steaming cup of bubbling shit?  Bioware don't.  This looks like an episode of Ninja Turtles.

Posted by Metal_Mills
@Pop said:
" @Metal_Mills said: 
Yep. WoW has 8 entire storylines for each class. Full dialog with 40 novels worth of speech. Companion characters with dialog, and story quests. Your own starship. Space Combat. A light/dark side meter. Choices that effect the way your character progresses. Multiple endings in instances. Giving the players the choice of who controls planets and areas. Giving the players the ability to effect the war effort. World an Galaxy wide story lines.   Yep, total WoW clone. "
Ok so it has a story... but will the gameplay be any good, I actually wish it was a wow clone with star wars, there's no point being mad when someone says that a game is a clone of one of the best mmos of all time. "
The gameplay will probably be similar to Kotor, which is similar to Dragon Age, which is similar to WoW.They did point out that they don't want the game filled with 'collect 10 bantha hides' and that you never have to mine or collect herbs or anything, your companions do that while you log off.
Posted by ThePantheon

So much fierce hate for this game, you're all fuckin' mental.
 
This'll be the only MMO i get a lifetime sub for (if they ever offer one)

Posted by WinterSnowblind
  @Meowshi said: 
" 1.) Guild Wars 2 is in no way competition for SW:TOR.  It might be better, but it isn't going for the same level of profits as subscriber-based MMOs.  SW:TOR is interesting in competing against other subscription-based MMOs, not free ones. They are after the WoW money."
They're both MMO's, both attempting similar revolutions of the MMO genre and both likely releasing around the same time.  They are in direct competition with each other and the fact Guild Wars is free to play is just a massive point in its favour. 
 
Guild Wars is not competing with sketchy Korean MMO's that survive on microtransactions, it's competing with WoW, Rift, TOR and Final Fantasy XIV(?).  It just so happens that the developers are honest enough to tell us that they don't need a subscription to maintain the game. 

@thenexus said:
" @WinterSnowblind: They are doing stuff that is not in any other MMO. The story concept is not in any other MMO. Your whole playtime will be things that go on but based around your life and decisions made by you or your group stick in terms of that story. Its not even in Beta remember. Bioware's problem is that while they are showing the game off which is great, people also create lots of misconceptions about it from what is still basically an Alpha.  As with other posts, even if this game sucks in the end people need to remember - IT IS NOT FINISHED YET!  I always say here - Go look at Wow Alpha and Wow First Beta for example: I remember in beta when they put in better textures and better lighting, Jesus it made a difference. Humans looked dum as hell in alpha and first couple of weeks of beta.  The more I see of this game the more you noticed better particle effects, better lighting, better textures. I want to see more improvement of course. Sound also seems to have had a lot more work just from this video alone. "
I really have to disagree.  Fair enough, it's in early stages and it's unfair to judge it soley on that but I doubt the gameplay is going to significantly change and that's my main issue with it.  It's the typical MMO skill slug fest.  You stand infront of each other, mashing hot keys until the other player dies and everyone has to stick to their preassigned tasks.. tank, healer, etc.  It's not fun in other MMO's and doesn't look fun here. 
 
And this is why I'm a lot more excited for Guild Wars 2, it's not simply trying to be World of Warcraft, it's trying to improve on all of these tired gameplay mechanics.  It also has a large focus on personal stories for your character and while I doubt it'll be as fleshed out, it looks great without drawing attention away from the massively multiplayer aspects. 
 
TOR basically looks like an MMO with a single player RPG strapped to the side that you have to pay for.  The MMO and single player/story parts are almost completely isolated.
Posted by Norusdog

nnnnNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH
 
SQUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Posted by Meowshi
@WinterSnowblind said:
"   @Meowshi said: 
" 1.) Guild Wars 2 is in no way competition for SW:TOR.  It might be better, but it isn't going for the same level of profits as subscriber-based MMOs.  SW:TOR is interesting in competing against other subscription-based MMOs, not free ones. They are after the WoW money."
They're both MMO's, both attempting similar revolutions of the MMO genre and both likely releasing around the same time.  They are in direct competition with each other and the fact Guild Wars is free to play is just a massive point in its favour. 
 
Guild Wars is not competing with sketchy Korean MMO's that survive on microtransactions, it's competing with WoW, Rift, TOR and Final Fantasy XIV(?).  It just so happens that the developers are honest enough to tell us that they don't need a subscription to maintain the game. 
I'm as excited about Guild Wars 2 as anybody else, but I feel like you're being disingenuous.   
 
The reasons MMOs are in such tight competition with each other is because of the subscription fee.  People don't want to pay multiple subscription fees, and are forced to pick one game they can afford to throw that money at.  It's the reason you don't find tons of people playing LOTR, WoW, and WAR at the same time.   
 
GW2 being an MMO is irrelevant because of its lack of a subscription fee.  It won't be taking that 15 dollars from other games and people have no incentive to rely on it solely for their entertainment.  I suspect that many people will buy GW2 and play it alongside SW:TOR simply because they'll be paying the same price either way.  GW2 would be competition if they asked their players to play monthly, but they didn't want to disappoint their fans for their original game.  I can respect that!  I really can. 
 
I'm just saying that SW:ToR isn't scared of them.  GW2 isn't going to be taking 15 dollars away for SW:TOR, like Rift or WoW.   The most GW2 can do is be so much fun that no one buys SW:TOR, and really, it's Star Wars.  Even SWG sold a million copies before people realized it was awful.  SW:TOR is guaranteed to sell gangbusters. 
 
The question is whether or not it can keep people subscribing.       
 
The fact that it's not fantasy, is based on one of the most popular intellectual properties, is being created by Bioware, and looks/feels similar to WoW: gives it a huge heads up.  
Posted by Meowshi
@Xeridae said:
" How many of you bought any of the following:  Mass Effect Mass Effect 2 Dragon Age Dragon Age 2 (preorder) KOTOR KOTOR2 Baldur's Gate Jade Empire Never Winter Night's  Yeah I thought so. Haters gonna hate.  I'll see you in game. "
"But THIS will be the game that changes everything for the worse!  I just know it!" 
 
-_- 
 
Shame on including KOTOR2 on that list though.  Bioware barely even acknowledges that game's existence. 
Posted by Jazz

Hmm, that trailer did not inspire any confidence in me. The skill tree looked boring as hell, but then again i'm more interested in the narrative portion of the game..thats seems to be where Bioware are trying to innovate. 
And to be honest, star wars doesn't do much for me lore wise.

Posted by Tennmuerti

Cool outfit.
Bad run animations.

Edited by MeatSim

Looks cool but I am gonna play a Sith Inquisitor.

Posted by Mikemcn

So its just a star wars mmo...

Posted by Xeridae
@Meowshi said:
" @Xeridae said:
" How many of you bought any of the following:  Mass Effect Mass Effect 2 Dragon Age Dragon Age 2 (preorder) KOTOR KOTOR2 Baldur's Gate Jade Empire Never Winter Night's  Yeah I thought so. Haters gonna hate.  I'll see you in game. "
"But THIS will be the game that changes everything for the worse!  I just know it!"  -_-  Shame on including KOTOR2 on that list though.  Bioware barely even acknowledges that game's existence.  "
Actually you are right I shouldn't have included KOTOR2 because Obsidian did that but Bioware has accepted the story from KOTOR2 as canon and are going to include it's story elements into SW:TOR.
Posted by jayjonesjunior
@thenexus:  search for Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.
Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

I would have preferred a single player experience, but since
they insisted on an MMO & $300 million investment, I guess
I'll play it for a couple-three months.

Posted by darkjester74

The more I see of this game the less excited I get.  =(

Posted by Lind_L_Taylor
@Axleisbored said:
" definitely a game that is starting to look worse and worse as it gets closer to release... i really want to try this before i ever spend money on it.... :/ "
I'm ready to jump in. However, my back log is a mountain. When the hell can I make time for it??  :(
Posted by Cymatics

Best class in anything. 

Posted by Silock
Does look really good I will admit, however I will wait to hear what people have to say about it before jumping in : )