204 Comments
Edited by DeviTiffany

I get most of the jokes involving the characters, but I don't understand what Redacted is supposed to be making fun of. Is she just a random character for the sake of random or is there some deep hidden FGC meta humor I'm not getting?

Posted by WesternWizard

Redacted is making fun of Wolverine from MvC/UMvC3, which is why the character's kick, when it hits, bounces the character up a million miles in the air, since Wolverine's divekick has a massive bounce + hit stun.

Edited by EveretteScott

No Zubaz love?

Posted by ptys

Is this game fun to play?.. or did they not take that into account when making it. The art is fantastic... seems like it hasn't reached its full potential.

Online
Posted by Deusoma

@chose: For what it's worth, you were absolutely right.

Posted by Sorla10

i hate the announcer

Posted by Capum15

This seems pretty dumb but I enjoyed watching these guys play it.

Edited by McGhee

I can't believe people are actually complaining that this is too complex and are comparing it to other fighting games. It takes a minute to learn what these characters do. Pick up Street Fighter 4 and other "real" fighting games and you will spend dozens hours learning a character's combos, footsies, match-ups, etc.

With this game, all you need to learn is how the characters move and how they match-up with your own. This will give the game some legs and keep it interesting longer. If you just had two characters, Dive and Kick, this game would get old quick.

Posted by YummyTreeSap

$10 for a two-button game? That's $5 per button!

Posted by ErikSchroder

Just looking at the preview picture… don't they sort of resemble Will and Norm?

Posted by RecSpec

Time to flash game joke, sixteen seconds. I was laughing so hard. I can't wait to finally get my hands on this, been waiting for this game more than any other this year.

Posted by fisk0

@kosayn said:

I think my favorite thing about this is the loading graphic looking exactly like a stream refreshing.

So anyone watching a stream of this game may get trolled into thinking their stream's lagging. It's simple, but beautiful.

Yeah, it got me several times during the quick look.

Edited by BombITT

ダイブキッコ!

Posted by Seroth

It's funny. When the kickstarter for this game's retail release started, people complained that there wouldn't be enough content to justify spending 15 dollars.

Now people are complaining about too much content. I don't really get it, though. Nothing is preventing you from just playing Dive or Kick mirrors (but don't play Dive vs Kick, since they've always played differently, even without specials).

To me, it was never really about the "simplification" of a fighting game. I mean, this game debuted for competitive players at a competitive tournament. I thought the idea was to recreate those final seconds of a close match, resulting in clutch moments. But just have that be every match, because that's ridiculous. Cause that was the point, to make an absolutely ridiculous game, and they succeeded.

Posted by Hadoken101

I get most of the jokes involving the characters, but I don't understand what Redacted is supposed to be making fun of. Is she just a random character for the sake of random or is there some deep hidden FGC meta humor I'm not getting?

Redacted is based on Wolverine's divekick in MvC 3. In fact she used to actually just be straight up named Wolverine before there was some copyright issues with that (IIRC)

Posted by Lazyaza

Matt and Pat; the Two Best Friends Play guys on youtube are responsible for the Baz making it in to this game as jeff said they were the ones who got him in via the games kickstarter. They've also managed to get "Mecha Baz" a giant robot version of the same character in to another indi game that did a kickstarter called Kaiju Combat.

Edited by Watsursnbaby

The Japanese word ジャスト (just) is used to mean perfect or exact. So just frame must mean you hit the perfect/exact frame to do the move.

Posted by fisk0

So, I don't keep up with the fighting game community. Does "salt" have some special meaning there, or is it a timely reference to Salty's Dream Cast Casino?

Posted by shatteringlast

@fisk0 said:

So, I don't keep up with the fighting game community. Does "salt" have some special meaning there, or is it a timely reference to Salty's Dream Cast Casino?

When someone loses and are upset, they are called Salty.

Posted by Sanj

I am convinced at least one of the characters in Divekick is based off a Giantbomb crew member.

Edited by Huey2k2

@mcghee said:

I can't believe people are actually complaining that this is too complex and are comparing it to other fighting games. It takes a minute to learn what these characters do. Pick up Street Fighter 4 and other "real" fighting games and you will spend dozens hours learning a character's combos, footsies, match-ups, etc.

With this game, all you need to learn is how the characters move and how they match-up with your own. This will give the game some legs and keep it interesting longer. If you just had two characters, Dive and Kick, this game would get old quick.

I think you are missing the point.

People who don't like fighting games don't like them because they have no interest in learning the ins and outs of each character, they either don't care enough or don't have the time to learn about the meta, the counters, the way each character fights.

By introducing that aspect to this game, regardless of how "simple" it is compared to most fighting games, you are completely turning off anyone that doesn't really care about fighting games.

If that was the developers intention, then whatever, they succeeded, but if they were trying to make a game that can appeal to everyone, even people who have little to no interest in fighting games, then they failed.

The people complaining are not saying it is a bad game, I am sure it is a wonderful and fun game. I just feel like the developers missed a big opportunity by going the route they did.

Posted by AssInAss

Redacted is making fun of Wolverine from MvC/UMvC3, which is why the character's kick, when it hits, bounces the character up a million miles in the air, since Wolverine's divekick has a massive bounce + hit stun.

That's hilarious. I wish I knew more about fighting games. I get the Salt thing but that's about it.

Mr. N makes me think of Jeff. At least, his face.

Posted by TaunT

Get Hype

Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam

Apparently, I've somehow diverged completely from the opinion of other fighting-game uninitiated. This looks like the only one I'd ever be able to get into.

Posted by Jedted

This could be a pretty fun casual Vita game.

Posted by SatelliteOfLove

Sells game on hyper-simple alpha.

Adds normal Fighter levels of complexity in release.

Posted by BaconGames

@dark_lord_spam said:

Apparently, I've somehow diverged completely from the opinion of other fighting-game uninitiated. This looks like the only one I'd ever be able to get into.

Which is exactly what you should be thinking. Yes there is the element of learning match-ups and fundamentals but I can't think of any better game that can ease in people into the basic principles of fighting games by removing all the execution barriers.

Although to be honest most people in my experience think it's ridiculous and fun and awesome but at a glance or they're super into it and get what makes it great. That and people dismissing the game outright but except for a few converts I can't see this game ever pleasing those people.

Posted by Vuud

Here's hoping this is the first PC fighting game with functional online!

Posted by HellBound

I know Brad does not know )obviously neither did the other guys) but for him to say "What is the joke" about Kenny kind of made me sad knowing the backstory of the character.

Posted by PerfidiousSinn

I like this game. It teaches you some of the basics of fighting games in a very easy to understand way. It forces you to understand spacing, meter management, and gain matchup knowledge.

I consider this a good jumping off point to get into some of the more complex games in the genre. Or just keep playing this at parties forever.

Edited by Kartana

Mr. N looks just like Jeff!

Posted by dr_mantas

@huey2k2 said:

@mcghee said:

I can't believe people are actually complaining that this is too complex and are comparing it to other fighting games. It takes a minute to learn what these characters do. Pick up Street Fighter 4 and other "real" fighting games and you will spend dozens hours learning a character's combos, footsies, match-ups, etc.

With this game, all you need to learn is how the characters move and how they match-up with your own. This will give the game some legs and keep it interesting longer. If you just had two characters, Dive and Kick, this game would get old quick.

I think you are missing the point.

People who don't like fighting games don't like them because they have no interest in learning the ins and outs of each character, they either don't care enough or don't have the time to learn about the meta, the counters, the way each character fights.

By introducing that aspect to this game, regardless of how "simple" it is compared to most fighting games, you are completely turning off anyone that doesn't really care about fighting games.

If that was the developers intention, then whatever, they succeeded, but if they were trying to make a game that can appeal to everyone, even people who have little to no interest in fighting games, then they failed.

The people complaining are not saying it is a bad game, I am sure it is a wonderful and fun game. I just feel like the developers missed a big opportunity by going the route they did.

You're right on point, and it's how I feel about many of these types of games (not only fighting games, but for example DOTA 2, Starcraft II, etc, or learning the maps in some FPS) where to truly appreciate the game you have to spend a lot of time memorizing things about all the characters, how they interact and stuff. Maybe it's just me, but I can't really commit the time it takes to learn those games, and get seriously good at them.

What can be good about this game, which I don't know cause I haven't played it yet, is how easy it is to just kind of pick up and play with no knowledge, and average game playing skill. If two amateurs can have fun kicking each other without learning too many specifics and deeper skills, it's a success.

A game that is only as deep as the lowest pick up and play tier isn't really that great either, because it would get boring quickly for someone trying to get deeper into it. But if it's easy to learn, and difficult to master (cliche, I know), that's OK.

That's my primary gripe with DOTA for example, because it's impossible to pick and play for a bit, which is why I will never ever play that game. On the contrary, something like Team Fortress 2 is nice without any knowledge, but can get pretty complex.

Edited by ghostyTrickster

"Would you like to play a game of lucky hit?"

I fucking love this game so much.

Posted by development

1979

This guy knows what's up.

Also, super bummed with this game. The game's focus has clearly shifted to be an homage to the fighting game community, and since it lacks the depth that community needs it'll just flicker and die instead of having a real chance at greatness in the hands of players inexperienced with the fighting-game genre.

People can disagree with me all they want, but the amount of comments here that share my sentiments speak for themselves. I just can't see this game having long-lasting potential.

Posted by Huey2k2

@tommytoad said:

1979

This guy knows what's up.

Also, super bummed with this game. The game's focus has clearly shifted to be an homage to the fighting game community, and since it lacks the depth that community needs it'll just flicker and die instead of having a real chance at greatness in the hands of players inexperienced with the fighting-game genre.

People can disagree with me all they want, but the amount of comments here that share my sentiments speak for themselves. I just can't see this game having long-lasting potential.

Exactly.

This is not enough depth to appeal to hardcore fighting game fans long term, and too much depth to appeal to people who know nothing about fighting games.

This game is going to be a fad that disappears quickly.

Edited by BisonHero

Brad is kind of a whiny baby in this Quick Look.

"I don't think people are going to get the characters." Who cares, it'll still be a goofy weird fighting game.

"Just frame? What does that mean?" Literally as Jeff just spent 10 seconds mostly explaining what the term means.

Edit: I take it back. Brad isn't the whiny baby; a bunch of you are. Jesus, "oh boo hoo, they added more characters than just Dive and Kick and now I'm all intimidated that I don't immediately know the whole game within 5 seconds". Fuck off.

Remember how Street Fighter 1 is an all-time classic because you just play as Ryu and Ken? Oh wait, that never happened. The classic is instead the sequel, you know, the one where you play as an electrified green Brazilian dude, and a sumo wrestler, and a Russian strongman who suplexes people, and an Indian yogi who can extend his arms and legs and breathe fire. PEOPLE LIKE VARIETY, you fucking asshats.

Posted by kennybaese

As someone who wishes he could get good at a fighting game, this has me super excited.

Posted by churrific

@huey2k2: At some point, I don't want it to actually be a "flash" game. I find some depth to be much appreciated. I think of it as giving ppl a chance at falling in love with the act of learning a game w/o any real investment.

Edited by pickassoreborn

Not sure why this game's getting so much love on here. Looks terrible. I'm sure it plays well, but still. The look of the thing puts me off. Gimme some polished characters with more frames of animation!

Maybe that's the point? Its bad looks?

Posted by AlexanderSheen

@jedo said:

Why...eh...who?...Eh... If it was a real game and I wrote a review for this it would get -2.

Who are you people?!

Bad people... baaad people.

Posted by Construc

Uncle Sensei with the Triple S!

Posted by Delobius

I think the complaints about this game aren't that it's too complicated, but rather that in becoming more than the original concept, it went from "fun simple game with some essentials of fighting games" to "fighting game with fewer buttons." Now you've got a "simple" game that has just frames and meter and move properties and all the other trappings of a "real" fighting game. You might as well just play one of those!

I mean, Persona 4 Arena only has 4 buttons and a comparable number of characters, and has an easy mode for casual play, and looks and sounds way better...

Posted by OneManX

@huey2k2 said:

@development said:

@tommytoad said:

1979

This guy knows what's up.

Also, super bummed with this game. The game's focus has clearly shifted to be an homage to the fighting game community, and since it lacks the depth that community needs it'll just flicker and die instead of having a real chance at greatness in the hands of players inexperienced with the fighting-game genre.

People can disagree with me all they want, but the amount of comments here that share my sentiments speak for themselves. I just can't see this game having long-lasting potential.

Exactly.

This is not enough depth to appeal to hardcore fighting game fans long term, and too much depth to appeal to people who know nothing about fighting games.

This game is going to be a fad that disappears quickly.

It's been doing strong at most tournaments and that has been over a year now.

The FGC seems to love the game, and have shown nothing but love to the game since it was announced.

Edited by Drebin_893

Brad is kind of a whiny baby in this Quick Look.

"I don't think people are going to get the characters." Who cares, it'll still be a goofy weird fighting game.

"Just frame? What does that mean?" Literally as Jeff just spent 10 seconds mostly explaining what the term means.

Edit: I take it back. Brad isn't the whiny baby; a bunch of you are. Jesus, "oh boo hoo, they added more characters than just Dive and Kick and now I'm all intimidated that I don't immediately know the whole game within 5 seconds". Fuck off.

Remember how Street Fighter 1 is an all-time classic because you just play as Ryu and Ken? Oh wait, that never happened. The classic is instead the sequel, you know, the one where you play as an electrified green Brazilian dude, and a sumo wrestler, and a Russian strongman who suplexes people, and an Indian yogi who can extend his arms and legs and breathe fire. PEOPLE LIKE VARIETY, you fucking asshats.

Wow, you're an angry person. It's a stupid fucking video game, who cares if people don't think they're going to like it.

Edited by Undeadpool

@onemanx said:

@huey2k2 said:

@development said:

@tommytoad said:

1979

This guy knows what's up.

Also, super bummed with this game. The game's focus has clearly shifted to be an homage to the fighting game community, and since it lacks the depth that community needs it'll just flicker and die instead of having a real chance at greatness in the hands of players inexperienced with the fighting-game genre.

People can disagree with me all they want, but the amount of comments here that share my sentiments speak for themselves. I just can't see this game having long-lasting potential.

Exactly.

This is not enough depth to appeal to hardcore fighting game fans long term, and too much depth to appeal to people who know nothing about fighting games.

This game is going to be a fad that disappears quickly.

It's been doing strong at most tournaments and that has been over a year now.

The FGC seems to love the game, and have shown nothing but love to the game since it was announced.

Those have been the same talking points LITERALLY since the game was announced as a real thing, all evidence to the contrary. It may be a flash-in-the-pan fad or it may stick around and be a 2nd stage darling for the next ten EVOs. Now we ACTUALLY get to know, and I for one am excited by that prospect!

Edit: I should say the same HATER talking points. There's nothing easier than being a doomsayer on the internet. If you're right, you get to rub it in people's faces, if you're wrong, no one holds you accountable.

Posted by MightyDuck

This really makes me think of the fun I had playing Bushido Blade 2 with friends back in grade school.

I really think I want to give this a shot, but would have to solely play multiplayer online...in which I'd probably get my head stomped in.

Edited by Amafi

@kishinfoulux said:

@crusader8463 said:

Seeing how complex some of those guys get really turns me off of this game. I liked the early version where everyone seemed to have the same dive/kick and they just changed up the speeds and angles of it. Some of those guys just get too crazy and the effort you need to make to learn them is why I have always hated fighting games. Oh well. I'm sure they won't miss my $15.

Yup. I feel like adding that sort of depth to those guys sort of defeats the purpose of the game honestly. They should've all just been carbon copies mostly.

Regardless I don't see how this could hold someone's attention for more then an afternoon.

Keits has sad numerous times that simpler game with only 2 characters and no specials never existed. It had multiple characters, specials and meters since the very first black and white prototype. And yeah, it's got some characters that are trickier than the rest now, but the thing that makes that not matter is that even if you get blown the f up that's still over in a minute and you're right back in the queue, and every match you learn something new.

@assinass said:
@westernwizard said:

Redacted is making fun of Wolverine from MvC/UMvC3, which is why the character's kick, when it hits, bounces the character up a million miles in the air, since Wolverine's divekick has a massive bounce + hit stun.

That's hilarious. I wish I knew more about fighting games. I get the Salt thing but that's about it.

Mr. N makes me think of Jeff. At least, his face.

REDACTED's name was also wolverine in earlier builds, but I guess they got a cease and desist or something, so they changed the name which makes it even funnier.

And the Mr N references are hilarious, if brutal.