Crytek Scoops Up Ex-Vigil Staff for Austin Studio

• 147 results
#51 Posted by WeaponBoy (164 posts) -

Darksiders 3, now a first person shooter featuring Strife armed with a camouflaging nanotech suit and bow.

#52 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Forget buying the IP; they're clearly going to be making Darkcryders.

Also, Crysis have said they're going to only make free-to-play games in the future...so...I hope they change their mind =/

Darkcrysers.

#53 Posted by hi_im_rob (202 posts) -

Any news on what Vigil's "Crawer" IP was supposed to be? Any idea if Crytek is picking that up?

#54 Posted by metalsnakezero (2297 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

I still want Platinum to pick up Darksiders.

Yeah, it'll be Platinum's answer to an Zelda like game of their own.

#55 Posted by bingbangboom (101 posts) -

Good news for them. I could see Crytek picking up Darksiders also. Seems like an IP that could work for an MMO style game. The art style always reminded me of a sort of WOW sort of thing. Gameplay wise it would be great having a MMO in that Zelda style. Crytek has quietly been building itself up in the past few years.

#56 Posted by csl316 (8696 posts) -

yay

#57 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@RoyCampbell said:

@Bistromath said:

And now they get to make shooters.

Forever.

to be fair, isn't crytek doing that first person... fighting... thing on the 360?

#58 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

I'm starting to wonder if Crytek will emerge as an AAA publisher in the near future. They have the skill, they've remained independent, and like CD Projekt Red, they actually appear to care about video games and the culture that comes with it. Here is hoping.

#59 Posted by Reisz (1500 posts) -

This is great news for those that got picked up for the new studio, I am stoked that they get to keep working in their chosen field. I have to say though as a consumer that was crossing his fingers for Darksiders and Vigil to find a home together as they were under THQ; The idea of that team, split up, removed from the Darksiders IP and working under the umbrella that gave us Crysis 2 is approaching worst case scenario. I don't know about anyone else but I have very little belief in Crysis 3 as a compelling game (Visually it looks incredible.). Overall I don't think of Crytek as a studio that cultivates the kind of creativity I want to see from Vigil. Fingers crossed project Crawler has found a new home.

#60 Posted by WaiteyBulger (74 posts) -

a crytek action rpg could be really sweet, just glad those guys are working, i loved darksiders 1 and 2, they have alot of real talent

#61 Posted by bondfish (58 posts) -

still wished curt shilling would have picked them up

#62 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Oh man, it'll be really awkward if Crytek scooped up Vigil so they could work on that sweet Homefront IP.

But a job's a job I guess.

#63 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

fucking rough break for everyone that got left out of this.

#64 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1441 posts) -

I think that is a good place for the team to end up at. I'm sure Crytek has plans to dip their fingers into uncharted territory (for them).

#65 Posted by TooWalrus (13206 posts) -

Well. Let's see what else they've got.

#66 Posted by Silver-Streak (1363 posts) -

I realllly hope they buy Darksiders. I need Darksiders 3. I NEED IT.

#67 Posted by TheStandardToaster (132 posts) -

Good to see. Hopefully darksiders gets picked up

#68 Posted by xantar (25 posts) -

That's great, I just hope Crytek doesn't take on too much and be another GRIN

#69 Posted by Mercanis (661 posts) -

Good to hear that Vigil has survived in some capacity. I wonder what will happen to their Dark Millenium project.

#70 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Playing through Darksiders II now, really hope this all has a happy ending.

#71 Posted by jmic75 (264 posts) -

@Bistromath said:

Forever.

Well, probably (hopefully) not, since they're making a new studio out of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Strife (the next horseman) only use guns as weapons? Coincidence? Yes...very much so, but interesting notion nevertheless.

#72 Posted by alexl86 (623 posts) -

As someone who thought the first darksiders was the best game THQ published this generation, I was sad no one picked these guys up during the auction, but now it seems like they'll get a new home with Crytek. Hopefully, it'll pan out for them.

#73 Posted by Shaanyboi (1295 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Bistromath said:

Forever.

to be fair, isn't crytek doing that first person... fighting... thing on the 360?

Oh yeah, the "hardcore" game for the Kinect?

#74 Posted by ch3burashka (5084 posts) -

@bondfish said:

still wished curt shilling would have picked them up

So they could wallow in poverty together?

Shilling crashed and burned; Vigil was abandoned. Sucks for both parties - the potential was there, and in Vigil's case, still is. Good luck to everyone, especially the consumer - maybe you'll get a Darksiders 3 and 4 if this all works out!

#75 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Wow, great news for Vigil. Seems like a good home for that team.

#76 Posted by kalibr (120 posts) -

Nice to see these people (at least some of them) get to stay together and employed.

#77 Posted by Lazyaza (2184 posts) -

God damn it you just know that this means they'll be making shooters now instead of creative and fun third person action adventure games. God damn it.

#78 Posted by blacklab (1557 posts) -

Awesome. Glad those guys found a home.

#79 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Great news to hear, hopefully everyone else can get picked up somewhere soon and the IP as well.

#80 Posted by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -

RIP Darksiders :|

#81 Posted by Javes (78 posts) -

Apparently the prevailing opinion in the comments here is that shooters and creative games are mutually exclusive.

#82 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Never really liked Darksiders, did it sell well or something?

#83 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Wouldn't have been my first choice considering what Free Radical are currently working on. But at least they're mostly together, here's hoping they aren't named Crytek US.

#84 Edited by ChrisHarris (279 posts) -

@Javes said:

Apparently the prevailing opinion in the comments here is that shooters and creative games are mutually exclusive.

I can understand their concerns, but I choose to look at it like this: Crytek is exceptional at the engine tech and mechanical aspects of game development... and those happen to be where Vigil could use some improvement. Darksiders was a great game, but it always felt a bit mechanically stiff / robotic while I was playing. It also had an interesting setting and visual aesthetic, but lacked the technical flair of a Crytek game. As long as Crytek doesn't meddle too much in other areas, I'm excited to see what comes out of this pairing.

#85 Posted by ripelivejam (3986 posts) -

@Javes said:

bioshock.

BOOM

#86 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Wow, all of you people being negative nancy's about what games might come out of this ... these people lost their jobs. I'm stoked that they found work pretty quickly rather than being unemployed. You all should be too. They have to pay their bills and take care of their families.

#87 Posted by Lyfeforce (377 posts) -

Always glad to hear that less people are jobless.

#88 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

I am very happy to know that some of the staff from Vigil games were saved by Crytek. Hopefully, they can stay on their feet this time.

#89 Posted by bkfountain (103 posts) -

i wonder what kind of shooter they'll make now.

#90 Posted by ninjalegend (432 posts) -

That's great. I bet their new IP "The Story of Delza: Flute of Chronology" will have kick ass graphics. It is nice to see talented people get picked up. Good luck to them.

#91 Posted by KrisL (3 posts) -

Glad some of these guys got picked up. With the potential in that group, you hate to see people like that end up unemployed.

#92 Posted by mrfluke (5164 posts) -

@Shaanyboi said:

@Animasta said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Bistromath said:

Forever.

Oh yeah, the "hardcore" game for the Kinect?

i believe its called ryse, totally expecting that to be a next gen game that shows off the kinect 2.0 at this point.

#93 Posted by Hailinel (24856 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Never really liked Darksiders, did it sell well or something?

The first one sold well enough to merit a sequel. However THQ's financial solvency was based in part on the success or failure of Darksiders II, and the game didn't sell as well as the first.

#94 Posted by manateecannon (16 posts) -

It's great that some of Vigil is staying together, but man I hope Crytek picks up Darksiders.

#95 Posted by Generic_username (612 posts) -

Great, I had read a pretty sad post by one of the members of the team about the situation, glad to see it's not totally fallen apart.

#96 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

Burn the old IPs, let's get something fresh.

#97 Posted by probablytuna (3671 posts) -

Good news!

#98 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

RIP Darksiders. :\

#99 Posted by WolfHazard (471 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook: To be fair, Timesplitters sucked and Darksiders is fantastic, so there's still hope

#100 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -
@WolfHazard said:

@SomeDeliCook: To be fair, Timesplitters sucked and Darksiders is fantastic, so there's still hope

Timesplitters 2 is better than Darksiders ever could be

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.