Vigil Entertainment is no more.

• 97 results
#1 Edited by Minifig (136 posts) -

My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

The seats are empty.

More here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46817540&postcount=325

#2 Posted by Picard (255 posts) -

That's depressing.

#3 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

It's a touching goodbye. Never saw what was so special about Darksiders, but it was enjoyed by plenty.

#4 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

:(

#5 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

Never played Darksiders but appreciated it from a distance. Hope they all find jobs soon

#6 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

That is terrible they did not deserve that fate even after the disappointment that was Darksiders 2. I guess I will continue to hope that IP gets picked up at some point...

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

How sad.

#8 Posted by Levius (1096 posts) -

Vigil always seemed like a studio that made games they wanted to make, rather than what they were told to make from high (though I guess this is an idealised view), and that makes me sad. I guess not having a half done game that can be quickly turned around to pay for the studio is a killer.

#9 Posted by masterpaperlink (1836 posts) -

Woah depressing, they got stuck in the middle tier and died with it, its a shame since they had the talent to eventually carve out a niche.

#10 Posted by TheHT (11093 posts) -

Bummer.

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2089 posts) -

I hope the best for their guys, and it's awesome that they got to make the game that they wanted to make, twice. Here's to hoping they bring their talent to places where it's needed.

#12 Posted by Raven10 (1761 posts) -

RIP. Of all of THQ's stuff this seemed like the least likely to get picked up outside of Homefront. But it looks like Crytek didn't want to waste their effort so Vigil is the lone casualty. Sad they are gone, but glad everything else seemed to get picked up.

#13 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Haydn Dalton, lead designer for both Darksiders games, said that Darksiders III would have had 4 player coop. Shame it never saw the light of day.

#14 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

Over on Twitter, Platinum Games is making some gestures towards ex-Vigilants.

Also apparently Inaba says he wants to buy them.

Premature to be excited, maybe. But it's nice to see Platinum reaching out. Two great tastes, I say.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Man, that's tough to swallow. So what happens to Darksiders? Does one of the higher ups take it with them or does some other company now own the rights? I imagine we're not going to be hearing about a Darksiders III for an awfully long while, if ever.

#16 Posted by Angouri (231 posts) -

For creating a pair of pretty great games, I'm surprised these guys weren't able to find a new home together. Sad to see this be the end of darksiders and a promising studio.

#18 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1679 posts) -

The fact that he signed off with "This is no place for a horse." bums me out even more. I found so much delight in making Death say that piece of dialog over and over at inappropriate times.

The realities of the video game market are a bitch.

#19 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

argh fucking a shame, why did no one buy them :(

#20 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

I have a shotgun ready after glancing through that

#21 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

damn that was what I was afraid of

#22 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

@Tidel said:

Premature to be excited, maybe. But it's nice to see Platinum reaching out. Two great tastes, I say.

I really hope that something goes through with them, I can see a Platinum influence on Darksiders be an interesting thing. Don't want to get my hopes up but if Platinum does somehow get the Darksiders IP and all the ex-employees to open up a new western studio that would be amazing. But that would be a stretch though considering that they are owned by Sega who already got Relic and Company of Heroes at the auction. But hopefully everything turns out for the best for everyone, no more Darksiders would be sad but even worse is the fact that a whole lot of people are unemployed.

#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Man I sure do love video games.

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Unfortunate. I feel like they could've gone somewhere special if they'd kept going at it.

#25 Posted by altairre (1175 posts) -

I really enjoyed Darksiders 1 and 2 eventhough I have not yet finished the second one. The first one was basically a Zelda that I liked more than Zelda. It's a shame that all those people are lost their jobs and it's a shame we will never get to see a four player coop Darksiders.

#26 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Now I just feel like this

#27 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:

@Tidel said:

I really hope that something goes through with them, I can see a Platinum influence on Darksiders be an interesting thing. Don't want to get my hopes up but if Platinum does somehow get the Darksiders IP and all the ex-employees to open up a new western studio that would be amazing. But that would be a stretch though considering that they are owned by Sega who already got Relic and Company of Heroes at the auction. But hopefully everything turns out for the best for everyone, no more Darksiders would be sad but even worse is the fact that a whole lot of people are unemployed.

Holy fuck that would be intense. There would finally be a direct competitor to God Of War in terms of overall insanity. "Hellow, Death. My name is Jesus Christ. You killed me before, now I'm here to kill you." 

Make it happen, Platinum.
#28 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Damn that sucks, I knew someone was going to get burned by the THQ cannibalism.

#29 Posted by Angouri (231 posts) -

@Tidel said:

You know what might be a good fit? Konami. Castlevania is a stone's throw away from Darksiders, but Vigil could help them make some excellent combat and bring a new, pretty big franchise to that company.

#30 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

HUGE BUMMER.

I haven't gotten around to playing Darksiders II yet, but the original is one of my favorite games ever. It was an absolute blast.

:'(

#31 Edited by Tidel (360 posts) -

@RobotHamster said:

@Tidel said:

I've been bouncing around Twitter a bit. Lots of outreach from a lot of places.

For all the industry can be cold, the people in it aren't. That's really nice.

I doubt Platinum has the money to pick up the whole studio and IP, though.

Nintendo should just buy them both.

#32 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

@Angouri: Wow, yeah. Konami would have been great.

#33 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1237 posts) -

People gave Darksiders 2 a lot of shit. It was one of my favorite games from last year and was a huge improvement over the first for me. I would of loved to see what they would of done after learning more from Darksiders 2. The only situation I can hope for is Platinum to buy the ip.

#34 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@RobotHamster said:

@Tidel said:

Platinum isn't owned by sega they just had a 4 game publishing Deal. which I think is over. They made Madworld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, infinite Space, and Anarachy Reigns for them. Now they've branched out to Konami and Nintendo.

#35 Edited by believer258 (11775 posts) -

Fuck, man. I thought Darksiders 2 was a bit of a disappointment but I feel like Vigil still had a whole hell of a lot of potential left to tap. I really hope Platinum games or Toonami or someone picks them up and uses them as a Western dev team.

EDIT: Konami. Leaving that chuckler of a mistake up there.

#36 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

Really wanted them to continue that story for Darksiders. Sad to see this happen to such a young studio.

#37 Posted by Lazlow (114 posts) -

Sure Darksiders II suffered from story and pacing issues but damn if it wasn't fun to play! This is really upsetting and a real shame. Like everyone said there was so much potential.

#38 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1862 posts) -

Man what a bummer. I can't believe nobody was willing to buy them.. I'd head down there and kickstart them myself if a thousand bucks and three leftover slices of pizza was enough to lay claim. Which at this point it might be. I wasn't as into Darksiders as a lot of people were, but I could see clear talent in the stitches of those games.

#39 Edited by darkjohnny47 (109 posts) -

Maybe a silly question, what happens to the money when someone buys a Vigil game from Xbox on demand or PSN or something?

If THQ is gone and Vigil is gone, what happens to the money?

Also, are Vigil games going to be pulled from said services and stores because there's nowhere for the money to go? Didn't some Midway games (i think) get pulled from xbox live because of a rights issue?

Just something I was thinking about.

Sad to see Vigil go, I felt like they had a lot of potential and the Darksiders games are pretty good.

#40 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

That sucks, Darksiders was awesome, and while Darksiders 2 was a huge let down for me seeing they didn't continue the story of the original I was hoping we would be able to see the end of the story at least.

I have to say this just makes me dislike Darksiders 2 even more, knowing we won't see a third.

#41 Posted by GunstarRed (5102 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus said:

The fact that he signed off with "This is no place for a horse." bums me out even more. I found so much delight in making Death say that piece of dialog over and over at inappropriate times.

Haha the first time I realised I could do it over and over I couldn't stop.

This really sucks though.

#42 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

@Tidel: Yea the people within the gaming industry are a great group of supportive people. I doubt Platinum has the money either, unless they make some crazy deal then yea it's probably going elsewhere.

@Nottle: That's right I forgot it was just for a few games. Still the chances of them getting it are slim but maybe they can somehow still be involved.

#43 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3201 posts) -

:(

#44 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

It's a shitty day for video games.

#45 Edited by mellotronrules (1180 posts) -

pourin one out for vigil tonight.

#46 Posted by kalibr (120 posts) -

I can't believe no one would want to buy these guys. I never really got into Darksiders but this is obviously a very talented developer that made solid games that unfortunatly never found a large enough audience. Wish these people the best and hope they find good homes somewhere.

#47 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

That's disappointing. I just played through the first Darksiders and thought it was great. I'm surprised that nobody put in an offer for them.

#48 Posted by Bulby33 (581 posts) -

Man... I really liked the Darksiders games. Bummed out.

#49 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

Wow. Just wow. That's fucking insane.

#50 Edited by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

Darksiders made them one of my favorite developers, and even though Darksiders 2 didn't grab me like I'd hoped it would, I was still excited about what they were working on next. Damn shame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.